Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with kittens

• 15-06-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

hi,I have got 2, kittens from a friend,at 9 weeks old,all going well I've had them vaccinated wormed and all,I have them 3 weeks and they are eating and drinking as normal and putting on weight,now here lies my question,they have started only last night I noticed that they and kinda imitating feeding off their mother ,doing the push push movement with their paws and with their faces buried in the blanket sucking on it ! they seem to only do this in the evening is this normal??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yep very normal and nothing to worry about. Its just a comfort thing for them a bit like thumb sucking in kids etc. Ive even seen older cats to do it so nothing to be concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My cat (tom, 1 year, 2 months) is still doing that, with pillows, blankets, even when I'm in bed, he uses my PJ-top :D

And he is purring like a fire engine. As long as he's happy, I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I love when they do that. My four year old cat is a big baby, dribbles a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

As already stated it's completely fine! If they seem to be nervous at all cut a hole in an old stuffed toy and stick a watch in it, they think it's their mother's heartbeat and settle quickly enough =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Its a very common thing for cats to do. I had a cat who all through her life would suckle like a kitten when I was wearing a dressing gown-never on anything else. When she had her fill and settled down to sleep there would always be a huge wet patch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Yep my cat is a year old and still does it. She will do it with any soft fabric and tends to slobber away then fall fast asleep. She is a bit weird and doesn't purr normally all that much but when she is on a soft fabric she goes mental. I've given up on ever using my dressing gown, its her favorite, so if ive left it sitting around then its gonna get slobbered on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Oh there is nothing cuter than when they do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Awh! Notalgia, I was only on here a few months ago asking the same question. As you already know it's perfectly normal and super cute. Only thing I would say though is to try and limit to just one thing or you'll have cat slobber everywhere! It was getting cold when my guy started so I was always wearing wolly jumpers so he was trying to do it to all my clothes, then I started wearing a fleesy dressing gown all the time when I was at home so now he just does it to it (it's no longer my dressing gown). Maybe you could do something similar?! Just so everything doesn't get ruined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

OMG my cat used to to this when I was little. I had this Knitted jumper she used to suckle on. it was kinda weird. we used to laugh about it. called it the "sucky sux" :D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

My cat is the worst for this :L

She suckles me and my boyfriend. We litterally can't get away from her haha.
    She even comes in to my room and suckels while I'm asleep!

So cute though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

thanks for al the replies,and yes Frankie is still sucking away,Im afraid his brother got killed by a dog,he was drpressed for a week but thankfully he seems to be good now again ,sucky sucky lol :)

Advertisement