Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

I am very hopeful that because the Australian candidates got their results that we'll get ours tomorrow....

I sat the exam in September 2010 and it was a full 10 weeks before we got the results. There was no explanation. They kept changing the dates. We eventually got an email at about 2am on the Thursday saying...

Note the correspondace was from the "UK office" yet the email came through at 2am our time... Also if I remember correctly the results were not out at 1pm and then the website had technical diffculties. I didn't get mine until that evening!!

Dear Candidate,

Your 2010 GAMSAT UK Results will be available from 1.00 PM on Friday 19 November 2010.

To access your results you will need the e-mail address you used to register and your GAMSAT UK candidate ID number.

If you do not know your ID number please log onto the GAMSAT results website and follow the instructions provided, your ID number will be emailed to you - there can be some delay with this system if demand is high so we suggest you do this after reading this e-mail.

You can access the results log-in webpage from the link below:

http://gamsatuk.acer.edu.au/results/

If you encounter problems accessing your results or ID please contact me at the GAMSAT Office for assistance <A href="mailto:gamsat-ie@acer.edu.au">gamsatuk@acer.edu.au.
    Good Luck.
    Lisa
    GAMSAT UK Office
    http://www.gamsatuk.org/

#nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Well I was thinking of going out tonight to try and keep my mind off things but couldnt get my mate to go out....so not its bottles of beer and a film for the night!

Best of luck everyone, hopefully we'll all be delighted tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nosilla

I just noticed on the UL website that it says results will be out by 9am IST, which means Indian Standard Time which is 4.5 hours ahead of GMT so if they're right they should be out by 5.30am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Cool! Though I always thought IST was Irish Standard Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nosilla

just double checked it there and yeah you're right haha! I thought that seeing as results are coming from oz the time zone might be more towards the australian time zone but obviously not! Hadn't heard of IST before - thanks! Ill literally do anything at this stage for results time to come closer! The wait is just agonizing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

IST is Irish standard time. Sorry :( I think IST is also India standard time but why would they use that on UL website?? Would be totally random. Though I wish results were out at 4.30!!

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/ist.html

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Biologic wrote: »
    Speaking of college choices; if anyone is considering RCSI and has any questions, I'd be happy to help. I love the place and wouldn't change course if you payed me.

Any advice good - distracting myself from actual results at the moment with the question of "where do I want to go if I can"? Not sure whether it's really helping the nerves, but anything to keep from leaving little nervous puppy-puddles on the floor, right?
    Seriously, I think RCSI is probably my first choice if I get the score for it, but am not sure. I was really well-impressed with the UCD Open Day, and still intrigued by the Limerick PBL approach - my father (Dr. Scott M. Grundy, famous cholesterol-nutrition guy) just recently sent me an article suggesting that more US med schools are looking at a system closer to Limerick's, particularly in regards to the long-term following of patients, in order to emphasise that sense of personal interaction and, especially for eager and information-crammed young med students, to focus on seeing the patients as people with conditions rather than conditions with people attached. On the other hand, RCSI has, as I understand it, a long history of being on the cutting edge of Irish medical research and practice, which does intrigue me; and since I've already had more than my share of university social experience, there is something to be said for a totally medicine-dedicated institution. Anyway, I'd really like to hear more about your experience at RCSI (or, for that matter, other people's experiences with UCD and Limerick, the latter of which, I gather, people seem to either love or hate)!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Sarah1379 wrote: »
    IST is Irish standard time. Sorry :( I think IST is also India standard time but why would they use that on UL website?? Would be totally random. Though I wish results were out at 4.30!!

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/ist.html

There'd be a lot of sleepless tonight if results really were coming out at 4:30 AM!
    Of course, there may be anyway.
    Aaaand in this corner - the best of complementary therapies: chamomile, valerian root, and personalized hypnosis relaxation CD. Aaaand in the other corner - My OVERSTIMULATED ADRENAL MEDULLA and INAPPROPRIATELY ACTIVATED SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM. Who will be the winner when my head is on the pillow? I'm betting on the adrenal medulla and sympathetic nervous system, but we'll see. Maybe if I reinforce those complementary therapies with a beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

GOT THE MAIL!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

OMG!

Got 61! Cant believe it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

Expected the worst. Scored 69. Not a chance of getting back to sleep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

Oh. 62.

Goodbye sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danball

A little note from the Far East where it's already daytime... THEY'RE OUT PEOPLE!!! Results for all!!! **frolics off** :D:eek::pac::p:p:p:p:p:p

Ohmygosh a ****ing 60?!! Wowie! So much better than I'd feared!! Can't believe it. Wow. Congrats guys above, fantastic scores!! :) maybe sleep now. Maybe. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cliodashe

Hi,
    Just got my results [I'm in Oz at the mo}, they came out 11am-12pm Oz. I got 54 :/ 54 64 49. I'm a bit worried about the 49. Do the colleges/CAO expect you to pass each section individually? Or is it only the overall mark that matters??

It's overall score Ireland cliodashe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

Absolutely over the moon! Med school here I come :) could not be happier!

WOHOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Congrats to everyone! :-D I'm off to work so won't be checking until I'm home but a sincere and massive well done! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

Congrats everyone... It's a LONG wait. I sat London last year. Still waiting to see if 62 is good enough for UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

Well done to everyone! Lots of you seem happy... I wish I was. I went down from 53 to 47, what a disaster. Although I was realistic in that I couldn't see how I could have improved, as I felt the exam was a lot harder, I'm very disappointed. It's an awful kick in the stomach to REPEAT it and actually do WORSE.... I don't know where I go from here. It's going to be a long, hard day at work...

• Advertisement

Just checked there, got 65 which Im delighted with!:D

Congratulations to all!

Roger_that wrote: »
    Still waiting to see if 62 is good enough for UCD!
    Based on last years round zero, a 62 will get you your place. At the RCSI open day they said that a 61 was a secured place in all but name.

http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2011-Round-0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cliodashe

Thanks Sarah1379,
    I know its all speculation but what is the best way of predicting whether 54 will get me into UL or not. Anybody good at stats or general psychic-ness? :( Do people reckon cut-off will go up from last year?? Hope not :(

Cliodashe, The best way to predict cutoffs would be to know how many people took the gamsat for Irish entry. But I don't know how to find that out. Then check that against places available and use the percentile curve to see what unis will need to set their cutoffs at in order to fill their places.

So if say 700 people sat gamsat ie or elsewhere for ie entry. Say there are total 150 places available ( just making up figures here). Then (150/700) x 100 = 21%. Thus unis would in theory offer places to those with a score from 80th percentile and up.

Insert actual figures and I'd imagine it's a good way to predict. However I lack actual figures :)

I don't think any amount of stats could help with this prediction. Crystal ball is your best bet.

Previous years round zero cut-offs are below:

2011 2010 2009
    UCC 57* 60* 59*
    UCD 59* 61* 60*
    UL 54* 57* 57*
    RCSI 60* 64 61

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well done folks. someone post the curve please?

jtsuited wrote: »
    well done folks. someone post the curve please?

percentile_curve_ireland.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Longtime lurker...I'm sure there are more out there!
    Somehow pulled a 59 out of the hat.

Looks like UCD is going to be a gamble, no good ever comes of those asterisk symbols!

Out of interest...is everyone else out there 100% percent sure they want to start out on this journey? Hope I'm not the only person with doubts!

Hard luck to anyone out there who didn't get the score they were looking for, probably of little comfort right now but there's always next year!

EngDoc wrote: »
    Out of interest...is everyone else out there 100% percent sure they want to start out on this journey? Hope I'm not the only person with doubts!

What, leave a secure, well paying job to study longer and harder than ever before, be saddled with debt, and deal with the time dilation field that is the HSEs implementation of the EWTD? Not to mention my age at graduation, and that I will only see my family for about 2 days a year for the next 10 years.

Excited, yes.

Sure, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

Looking at the curve it seems that the Irish exam was harder than London 2011 or people just scored generally higher than London cuz 62 was in the 85th percentile there but on the Irish curve its in the 92nd. Did anyone do both and can they add anything to that?

Advertisement