Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

PaddyA wrote: »
    Spoke to man in CAO office today. Said numbers the same as last year and that all those on 54 got places in UL in subsequent rounds. Is curve posted the Irish version?

If you're referring to the curve that I posted a few pages back, yes, its the one we got with our results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

any one have any idea what the min was for UCC after 3rd round offers?

also can you accept a place and then switch if you get a 2nd or 3rd round offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yit

Sing wrote: »
    Thanks Yit for your response. Its what im leaning towards at the moment. Another niggling fear I have is doing a master of science when ultimately i want to end up helping people even if it is a different aspect of health like social work, speech therapy. Sadly i missed those deadlines and wonder if I should hang on for the year and apply next year for something like this. Whats your masters in out of interest?
    I also want to get out of my current job but Its def not the reason to do a half hearted masters. I dont want to end up soley in a lab and def not in industry!!!

Well if you're only going in to a masters half hearted then your best off waiting til next year, that's if you don't get it this year. My masters is in Physiotherapy, as was my undergrad, so fortunately I've always had a lot of patient interaction, as opposed to interaction with test tubes etc. so I can definitely see where you're coming from with not being too pushed about toxicology, even if it is a very interesting area!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

also can you accept a place and then switch if you get a 2nd or 3rd round offer?
    it depends what order you have your preferences in the CAO form e.g.

say your order of preference was RCSI, UCD, UL, UCC

your points arent enough to get into RCSI but you get UCD. If RCSI falls in subsequent rounds and you meet the requirements you will be offered a place in RCSI

But if your order of preference is UL, RCSI, UCD, UCC

and you get UL in the first round you will not be offered any other places regardless how far they fall.

Accepting a lower offer does not affect you if a higher offer becomes available

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hannah90

The final round offers for UCC were made to people with 56!!If u follow the link I talked about a few pages back you can see the final round scores for each of the colleges!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 hannah90

PaddyA wrote: »
    Spoke to man in CAO office today. Said numbers the same as last year and that all those on 54 got places in UL in subsequent rounds. Is curve posted the Irish version?
    Hi Paddy just wondering if you have any idea what that number is? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

So by all accounts if the numbers are the same applying and there are no additional places added then scores should remain the same. Not sure whats the steeper percentile curve means for it all, scores seem to be more or less in line with other years. Correct me if Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Karlheinz1987

Thats what i reckon GOING4BROKE.. sitting on a 55. Hopefully should be enough for UL..based on number of applicants, lower scores ..

Thats what i reckon GOING4BROKE.. sitting on a 55. Hopefully should be enough for UL..based on number of applicants, lower scores ..

are you going to take UL if offered karl??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PaddyA

Around 680 I think . Was not willing to state exact figure. Between 600 and 700 - closer to 700.

• Advertisement

Absolutely dude. A place on graduate medicine can be tough to get so I'd snap it up with both hands. Am hopeful to be honest that 55 should be enough. Would be moving down from Dublin if offered, What about yourself?

Absolutely dude. A place on graduate medicine can be tough to get so I'd snap it up with both hands. Am hopeful to be honest that 55 should be enough. Would be moving down from Dublin if offered, What about yourself?

yea im on 56 so should get an offer, think your right about the place so ill prob grab it with both hands if i get it. I didn't find the gamsat too much of an ordeal, i got back from oz in jan and decided to sign up for a trial run and luckily enough got in (im thinking because i didn't stress about it and just gave it my best shot). Its just the thoughts of the loan etc, if i stay in Dublin i think i could get away without it, and think theres a good chance of getting 60ish if i put in a few months effort!

think im going to keep preparing for the gamsat UK until i have an offer and then take it from there! If we do, pints before the madness begins is a necessity! haha :D

yea im on 56 so should get an offer, think your right about the place so ill prob grab it with both hands if i get it. I didn't find the gamsat too much of an ordeal, i got back from oz in jan and decided to sign up for a trial run and luckily enough got in (im thinking because i didn't stress about it and just gave it my best shot). Its just the thoughts of the loan etc, if i stay in Dublin i think i could get away without it, and think theres a good chance of getting 60ish if i put in a few months effort!

think im going to keep preparing for the gamsat UK until i have an offer and then take it from there! If we do, pints before the madness begins is a necessity! haha :D

Absolutely man! Make the decision when you know more i suppose. My science didn't go great, had prepped for a lot of O Chem and not much came up so got sucked in by all those bio bat piss questions :) Scored a 72 in the easays which saved me some face! Happy to he in contention I suppose! Pints are essential during orientation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2012 hopefull

Hi Guys. Just got my result there yesterday. I got 54. I was very disappointed initially as that was exactly what I got last year when I did it as a practice run with hardly any preparation. I am a little bit more hopeful now however having read many of the posts on here. I have one or two other options that I am considering but really don't want to do anything other than medicine. So I was wondering how likely do people think it is that 54 will make the cut for UL this year.

Also could someone tell me when offers are sent out.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

Hi Guys. Just got my result there yesterday. I got 54. I was very disappointed initially as that was exactly what I got last year when I did it as a practice run with hardly any preparation. I am a little bit more hopeful now however having read many of the posts on here. I have one or two other options that I am considering but really don't want to do anything other than medicine. So I was wondering how likely do people think it is that 54 will make the cut for UL this year.

Also could someone tell me when offers are sent out.

Thanks.

Hi - I think most of your questions have been answered in the last few pages...

Will 54 make the cut for UL? Probably.
    When are offers out? Early August.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2012 hopefull

Thanks Gordonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

I love the amount of activity on this thread - keeps you sane. I hope we all get into grad med this year or the next so we can meet in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 markitzero

GradMed wrote: »
    My entire grad class have passed their final exams and I'm sure the failure rate is very low across the medical schools.

Cheers for the feedback. It's allayed some of my fears about gradmed, but I'll have another year to decide about it. It's such a big commitment!

Best of luck to everyone starting this year, whichever college it is!

massive session to be arranged when the offers are out...we can bridge these gaps between med schools! haha

sad bastard.

pretty much goes hand in hand with wanting to sit the gamsat mate!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

My science didn't go great, had prepped for a lot of O Chem and not much came up so got sucked in by all those bio bat piss questions QUOTE]

I fear that 2012 will go down in GAMSAT history as the Year of The Bat Piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Hi guys

I haven't really looked into the GAMSAT or Grad Med a whole lot so I would appreciate any feedback.

Anyway I got 57 and I was wondering if this is good or bad or what, and what could my chances be of getting into anywhere on that score?

I only really did the test for the craic and for a bit of practice with the intention of completing my degree this year and studying properly for it next year, so I would be absolutely stunned if I got in anywhere.

Thanks

My science didn't go great, had prepped for a lot of O Chem and not much came up so got sucked in by all those bio bat piss questions QUOTE]

I fear that 2012 will go down in GAMSAT history as the Year of The Bat Piss!

Ah for sure! Thought ashton kutcher was gonna burst into the room when I read that badboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

with due respect its going to keep getting dragged up again and again and again. Its something people will have to deal with if they go to UL (unfairly I'll admit) but it takes a long time to lose preconceptions.

If UL didnt need high numbers to build the medical school (as in student fees) I genuinely think they would be better off going for smaller class sizes and get rid of the ridiculous rule that the bottom 10% of the class must fail

Is this true that 10% of the class must fail? Where did you get that info? surely that's ridiculous, I've never heard of any university doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Does anyone know what the story is with UCC and graduate medicine... is there an interview or is it just gamsat? Also in terms of the leaving chemistry requirement is that gone if its graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

Does anyone know what the story is with UCC and graduate medicine... is there an interview or is it just gamsat? Also in terms of the leaving chemistry requirement is that gone if its graduate?

From the UCC website :

"Graduate Entry to Medicine (CK791): Applicants must hold, or expect to hold by July of the year they wish to enter Graduate Entry Medicine, a minimum of second glass honours, grade one (2H1 or equivalent) result in their first honours bachelor degree (NFQ level 8). Applicants must also have taken the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) after 1st September 2009 (for entry in 2011). Eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their GAMSAT score (i.e. the candidate with the highest score will receive the first offer; the candidate with the next highest score will receive the next offer until all available places are filled.Graduate Entry to Medicne had cut-off points of 56 in 2011."

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Sarah1379 wrote: »
    From the UCC website :

"Graduate Entry to Medicine (CK791): Applicants must hold, or expect to hold by July of the year they wish to enter Graduate Entry Medicine, a minimum of second glass honours, grade one (2H1 or equivalent) result in their first honours bachelor degree (NFQ level 8). Applicants must also have taken the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) after 1st September 2009 (for entry in 2011). Eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their GAMSAT score (i.e. the candidate with the highest score will receive the first offer; the candidate with the next highest score will receive the next offer until all available places are filled.Graduate Entry to Medicne had cut-off points of 56 in 2011."

Cheers Sarah, that has cleared things up. Its all the waiting game from here then. SIGH...Major SIGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

HI Biologic,

I see from your previous posts you're in RCSI - i never thought i'd have the option of going to RCSI, so didnt do much research, but now it seems like it might just be feasible and I'm frantically trying to decide between RSCI and UCD (not a bad problem to have, i know).

The only thing that I can see as a bit of a negative point is the second year in Blancherstown. Is the commute not a nightmare? Is there free parking for staff? Also, how well equiped is the gym in RSCI? Cant tell much from the teeny picture, but is there showers etc?

Seems that year one course load is tougher than UCD, but i think i kinda like the idea of getting stuck in from the get go!

Thanks in advance for anything you wish to share! (i've read your summary on your first two years in RCSI which i found very helpful!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

CiMaster wrote: »
    HI Biologic,

I see from your previous posts you're in RCSI - i never thought i'd have the option of going to RCSI, so didnt do much research, but now it seems like it might just be feasible and I'm frantically trying to decide between RSCI and UCD (not a bad problem to have, i know).

The only thing that I can see as a bit of a negative point is the second year in Blancherstown. Is the commute not a nightmare? Is there free parking for staff? Also, how well equiped is the gym in RSCI? Cant tell much from the teeny picture, but is there showers etc?

Seems that year one course load is tougher than UCD, but i think i kinda like the idea of getting stuck in from the get go!

Thanks in advance for anything you wish to share! (i've read your summary on your first two years in RCSI which i found very helpful!).

Hi CiMaster,

I'd actually class the year in Blanchardstown as a positive thing for RCSI. We really do have the hospital to ourselves. If you want to pop over to the A&E to practice some clinical skills, you can. Some of the medical/surgical tutors will run the tutorials on the wards they cover, so you're learning on real patients. The parking is free and the staff canteen has decent, cheap food. Also, most of the specialties in Blanch run teaching sessions aimed at Junior doctors which we can attend (and get free food at). I haven't heard many people complain about the commute. Mostly you're going against traffic, but it might be bad going home around 5 o'clock. Lastly, the RCSI building there has everything we need (same as the Sandyford building, but nicer).
    The gym in Stephen's Green is fine. It has all the essentials and isn't crowded. There's showers, a squash court, an indoor basketball/hockey court and the sports clubs train in Alsaa I think.
    From what I understand, RCSI year 1 is a little more intense than the other courses. I've talked to a few people from UCD and they agree. We don't get much contact with other years/courses because we're out on our own in Sandyford/Blanch, and it's a lot of work. This can be a good or bad thing. I personally had done enough farting around in my undergrad and was happy to put the head down. This setup means you get to know your class inside-out too. Others may prefer the campus feel to UCD and, as much as it pains me to say it, better social life. Don't get me wrong, our class goes out a lot and there's no shortage of volunteers to go to the pub, but UCD do seem to have more free time.
    Hope that helps,
    Bio

Advertisement