Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 knope

Since you are calling me out it is my prerogative to respond I suppose. Firstly I see you are basically calling me a liar. Now aside from the fact you are taking the title of doctor despite being clear from your other posts that you are still a student in UL I find it hard to understand how you would be able to judge the standard on ward rounds? I wasnt aware students in UL went to the same teaching hospitals as the Dublin schools? maybe Im wrong and if so I apologise.

you say if UL took in students with a high GAMSAT score they would produce good docs - eh newsflash thats what the other colleges do!

address my post below please - which is the element of truth and what am I making up.

Like I said before I have no problem with people defending their college but please stop trying to encourage people into believe they are getting something they arent

We have a pharmacology professor and she lectures us on all the relevant topics aswell as giving us up to date research on each of the therapeutic regimens for whatever case we're doing that week. I use the exact same books as my cousin in UCC.

The UL students are in the Regional in Limerick with UCC students, Kilkenny with RCSI students and Tullamore with UCD students. Comparisons have been made and UL students are doing extremely well. As are students from every other college. I think, realistically, if students from any university were terrible we'd have heard by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

folks, calm down and discuss things in a civil manner. as before, there is a zero tolerance policy for muppetry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clicli91

Hey guys, I'm hoping to start medicine in 2013...all going to plan!...I was going to sit the GAMSAT in Dublin in March but a few people have asked me if I would do it in London in September (like 3 months away!) as a trial run....just wanted to get opinions on this...and also studying for it in a group or by yourself...which would be best??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I'm not actually sure how learning medicine from Wikipedia can give you...

its hard to imagine a graduate with no pharmacology, biochemistry or even something minor like cadaver experience would be better or even as good as someone with that knowledge.

If i didnt feel sorry for you Harry Potter, i would set you straight.

Lol lol lol.
    You havent a clue child.
    Please do post another gay image though. It is amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Dr Nic wrote: »

Lol lol lol.
    You havent a clue child.

None of this is amusing to anyone to be honest. Embarrassing stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sam34 wrote: »
    folks, calm down and discuss things in a civil manner. as before, there is a zero tolerance policy for muppetry here.

Dr Nic wrote: »

Lol lol lol.
    You havent a clue child.

banned

don't say you weren't warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

There I was, looking forward to a bit of reasoned debate from someone from UL, but alas makes a show of themselves. Maybe its exam stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Clicli91 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm hoping to start medicine in 2013...all going to plan!...I was going to sit the GAMSAT in Dublin in March but a few people have asked me if I would do it in London in September (like 3 months away!) as a trial run....just wanted to get opinions on this...and also studying for it in a group or by yourself...which would be best??!

I'd definitely go for the trial run in September. If the cost of the extra exam, travel, etc. is not a major issue for you, then you've little to lose, and quite a lot to gain - two periods of date-focused study instead of one, a clearer idea of what the actual test looks like, probably a lot less nervous involved if you do decide to retake it in March, and a perfectly good chance of getting a score you like and thus getting the wretched thing out of the way six months earlier. Really, the only downside I can think of for a London trial run is the expense.
    I studied alone, but I can't help thinking that I might have gotten more out of my studying if I'd had a group to give me some different perspectives and thus a wider range of information to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Actually the "trial run" question reminds me of something I've been curious about (and which might be helpful for those with future GAMSAT plans). I know there's some folk on this board for whom March 2012 wasn't their first GAMSAT - was Section III of this last one as markedly different from previous GAMSAT's as it was from the ACER and Gold Standard practice tests? I'd been kind of running on the vague assumption that the Great Calculator Ban was responsible for a significant shift. If that is the case, then I'd definitely recommend a trial run if your med school timing plans and circumstances allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sing

Sure, I'm free on Sunday if you'd like to drop by. Not sure how much "wisdom" I actually have, but happy to give any help I can. Is there any way to private-message from or via these boards if you'd like to get in touch?

Hey steven you can PM me by clicking on my name. Im not sure if ill be around this weekend. Send me on your details anyhow and we can try org something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

hi guys, im probably looking at resitting the gamsat in september. I'm wondering can anyone recommend an essay marking company?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Clicli91 wrote: »

I cannot emphasize how valuable this was.... I went in September having only made the decision to give this a go in August it was the best decision I ever made. Doing it blind is scary but you really get a feel of what it is going to be like in March, what the timings are going to be like and an idea of how the questions will be asked.

One of the biggest things i learned from September was that the questions consist of a lot more text in the real thing than the practice tests. Practice giving yourself a limited time to read newspapers articles and things. It will stand to you. But you should deffo do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Guys is it just the one round of offers for GradMed (Round zero), or are there offers made in round 1, 2 etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Hi All

Graduate Medicibe offers are issued in Round 0, i.e. August 2nd this year.

Institutions hope to fill in this round but there is usually a small amount of offers in Roubnd 1, August 20th

:)

Thanks CAOman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clicli91

Thanks Stephan and Captain1888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Well I have provisionally got my first class honours degree so all I have to worry about now is if a 57 will get me in anywhere.

Would I be jumping the gun a bit if I were to go into the bank to start discussing the options about a loan? I would feel like a bit of a wally if I didn't get in anywhere although I'm certain I could improve my score considerably next year with some real study.

Still surprised that I got that score a few weeks after getting my results. I would say that I only had 2 hours sleep the night before the exam and due to bus problems I had to jog/sprint from parnell sqaure to the RCSI and was still a little bit late. I wasn't even going to bother sitting it at that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Jane!

cash2905 wrote: »
    I was talking to the CAO office on yesterday (Monday) and she said August 1st. off topic, anyone out there who's in UCD at the minute or know someone who is? Any advice on accommodation? Better living on or off campus? If off, where? Easiest way to find places? Prices to expect? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I did my undergrad in UCD. Loved the place. The only thing is in my opinion the rent is really high in that particular part of the world. It being south side Dublin and all. I wa paying €450 for a tiny box room with a bed and a wardrobe. As comparison I'm in the city centre now in a large double room for €305 a month. Had to take over the kitchen to study which didn't really lend itself to concentration. As for campus I know of two final year students who were put living with 1st years. So there were always party's and noise so if you plan on getting lots of work done I wouldn't recommend campus at all. The best place to live is somewhere on the main bus route really. That would be the 46a so donnybrook, Stillorgan, foxrock, even Dun Laoraigh. Clonskeagh is also a good spot. Finding places as an undergrad was a nightmare. Would find perfect places on Daft and as soon as they heard the word "student" we wouldn't even get a viewing. Now that may be different for postgrads as me are "mature and responsible"............;-)

I got a 57 in 2011 but took a year out to be a bit mad. Have my undergrad in biochemistry and molecular biology. Would love to get UCD as I know the place, wouldn't have to move, have my job part time at the weekends etc but I really like the sound of UL (despite all the incredibly unbiased reviews it's getting..........) I was that girl who fell asleep in every lecture I went to, and that wasn't many. My class were shocked when I came out with a higher 2.1 than half the rest of them! I teach myself better. So academically UL is my 1st choice. With a 57 I can probably get UL right? I wasn't freaking out about it until I read this thread..............

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shaz84

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum and have to say a lot of time and effort has gone into buidling this very imformative thread - so thank you.

I took the GAMSAT in Sept 2011 in the UK and have applied through the CAO to all 4 Unis.

I have some understanding of the system in Ireland, however I am uncertain if my score of 59 will get me in to UCD (my first choice) or anywhere else for that matter.

I dont really mind where I get in as long as I get a MB ChB qualifation, but have some friends in Dublin so would prefer that city over Cork or Limerick.

So how certain is it that I will have a place come 1st September 2012? Should I rest easy or continue biting my nails!?!

Thanks!
    Shaz

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

Since this yrs percentile graph showed that a lower score was in a higher percentile , could this mean that the GAMSAT points will go down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

shaz84 wrote: »
    I dont really mind where I get in as long as I get a MB ChB qualifation, but have some friends in Dublin so would prefer that city over Cork or Limerick.

You'll have to stay off this island if you want an MB ChB degree... we only do MB BCh BAO and MB BS :pac:

Joking aside, 59 will almost definitely grant you a place in one of the universities, even if you don't get UCD.

boynesider wrote: »
    Well I have provisionally got my first class honours degree so all I have to worry about now is if a 57 will get me in anywhere.

Would I be jumping the gun a bit if I were to go into the bank to start discussing the options about a loan? I would feel like a bit of a wally if I didn't get in anywhere although I'm certain I could improve my score considerably next year with some real study.

Still surprised that I got that score a few weeks after getting my results. I would say that I only had 2 hours sleep the night before the exam and due to bus problems I had to jog/sprint from parnell sqaure to the RCSI and was still a little bit late. I wasn't even going to bother sitting it at that point!

I'm exactly the same, got the degree wrapped up today, sitting on a GAMSAT of 57 and facing into the longest 8 weeks of my life before these offers come out... Best of luck!

You'll have to stay off this island if you want an MB ChB degree... we only do MB BCh BAO and MB BS :pac:

Joking aside, 59 will almost definitely grant you a place in one of the universities, even if you don't get UCD.

Lol - well I wouldn't say no to a qualification in the art of obstetrics too!!! :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Guess all that remains now is getting funding in place.

I was wondering - how many rounds of offers are there? Someone mentioned Round 2 offers? If I don't get an offer of a place at UCD for Round 0, then accept somewhere else and get the loan from the local AIB campus branch, can I then accept a Round 1 or 2 offer for UCD and switch my loan payments for tuition etc to the other uni easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

The above responses have made me question my 56. Really don't know where I stand considering this score only scraped a place in 2010 but was comfortable enough in 2011. Nervous to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

boynesider wrote: »

if you have no previous loans or any kind of bad credit history the loan is pretty much a formality once you have your acceptance letter. The bank wont talk to you before that
    Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum and have to say a lot of time and effort has gone into buidling this very imformative thread - so thank you.

I took the GAMSAT in Sept 2011 in the UK and have applied through the CAO to all 4 Unis.

I have some understanding of the system in Ireland, however I am uncertain if my score of 59 will get me in to UCD (my first choice) or anywhere else for that matter.

So how certain is it that I will have a place come 1st September 2012? Should I rest easy or continue biting my nails!?!

Thanks!
    Shaz

57+ will guarantee you a place Im 100% sure of that. It will be touh and go whether 59 gets you into Dublin
    Since this yrs percentile graph showed that a lower score was in a higher percentile , could this mean that the GAMSAT points will go down?
    I'm exactly the same, got the degree wrapped up today, sitting on a GAMSAT of 57 and facing into the longest 8 weeks of my life before these offers come out... Best of luck!

Doesnt take into account everyone who did the exam in England which is quite a substantial amount. Applications to the CAO are similar therefore I expect points to be similar
    Lol - well I wouldn't say no to a qualification in the art of obstetrics too!!! :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Guess all that remains now is getting funding in place.

I was wondering - how many rounds of offers are there? Someone mentioned Round 2 offers? If I don't get an offer of a place at UCD for Round 0, then accept somewhere else and get the loan from the local AIB campus branch, can I then accept a Round 1 or 2 offer for UCD and switch my loan payments for tuition etc to the other uni easily?

there is a round 0 in the first week in August and a round 1 to fill the rest of the places. Round 1 is usually people moving up in the ladder to their preferred choice so places in UL usually become available. There is no real round 2 per say its just filling any places that are still open and hence why a 52 might have gotten you in last year. You would be starting very late though so already at a big disadvantage

Does anyone know what you are not given the BAO qualification letters by Limerick?

if you have no previous loans or any kind of bad credit history the loan is pretty much a formality once you have your acceptance letter. The bank wont talk to you before that

57+ will guarantee you a place Im 100% sure of that. It will be touh and go whether 59 gets you into Dublin

Doesnt take into account everyone who did the exam in England which is quite a substantial amount. Applications to the CAO are similar therefore I expect points to be similar

there is a round 0 in the first week in August and a round 1 to fill the rest of the places. Round 1 is usually people moving up in the ladder to their preferred choice so places in UL usually become available. There is no real round 2 per say its just filling any places that are still open and hence why a 52 might have gotten you in last year. You would be starting very late though so already at a big disadvantage

Thanks RealityCheck. Do you know how someone would be able to move the agreed loan facility from one university to another if you change your choice? As I understand, the tuition fee is paid direct to the university rather than via your own bank account, therefore I assume you would need to rearrange the loan with the local branch at your new uni?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Does anyone know what you are not given the BAO qualification letters by Limerick?

from wikipedia
    The medical schools in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland—namely Queen's University Belfast, University of Dublin (Trinity College), some constituent institutions of the National University of Ireland (University College Dublin, University College Cork and National University of Ireland, Galway), and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland—award the degrees of MB BCh BAO. The letters BAO stand for Baccalaureus in Arte Obstetricia (Bachelor of Obstetrics), a degree unique to Ireland which the Irish universities added in the 19th century as the legislation at the time insisted on a final examination in obstetrics. This third degree is an anachronism which is not registerable with the Irish Medical Council nor the British General Medical Council (GMC). The only exception is the University of Limerick graduate school of medicine which awards BM BS for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.

so pretty much the traditional medical schools had to add on the letters due to legislation but they are pretty meaningless. Not sure why UL decided to add on it's own set of meaningless letters - bit silly now that I think of it

so pretty much the traditional medical schools had to add on the letters due to legislation but they are pretty meaningless. Not sure why UL decided to add on it's own set of meaningless letters - bit silly now that I think of it[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had thought it was just a more modern approach seen as UL gives a BM instead of MB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

There seem to be a good few of us out there with 59 hoping for UCD! I've pretty much decided that if I don't get into UCD/RCSI then I'll wait it out for a year instead of going for UCC or UL.

That being said, I popped down to UCC to have a look at their facilities and I was blown away. Stunning university...worth a vist even just to stroll around. If I was a Cork native it would defo be my first choice!

Come on 59, you can do it!! :P

Oh...does anyone know the reason for the slightly higher RCSI fees?

Advertisement