Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shaz84

Hey mate. Fingers crossed then that we manage to sneak in!!

Out of curiosity, why would you hold out another year instead of going to UCC or UL? I would be concerned that loan provision may not be available in subsequent years and would go for it wherever I was offered, if I'm not lucky enough to get a Dublin uni.

I would be interested in knowing why RCSI is more expensive by ~€2.5k per year too. Also, anyone know what the €2k student contribution fee is and whether that is an annual fee or only for the first year?

Are you applying from the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

shaz84 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why would you hold out another year instead of going to UCC or UL? I would be concerned that loan provision may not be available in subsequent years and would go for it wherever I was offered, if I'm not lucky enough to get a Dublin uni.

To be honest, it's mainly a matter of logistics and finances for me. It would just be too much hassle to relocate to another city. Have a place in Dublin where the rent is quite cheap. I also don't think I'd be a good candidate for UL's approach to learning. Given the choice between self-directed learning and the structure provided in a didactic course, I think I'd do better in UCD. Also put off by the fact that cadavers aren't used for anatomy in UL. My better half is currently studying an allied health degree in Dublin, says it would be very difficult to get a good idea of anatomy without working with cadavers. Figured UL would be ideal for someone already coming from a medical background who can really hit the ground running and direct their own learning. My background is in engineering though, I'd prefer be dragged to lectures every morning.

Not bashing Ul though, I'm sure the doctors coming out of there are as good or better than all the rest. Also haven't been down there to check it out myself, this is just stuff I've heard from others.
    Are you applying from the UK?
    Nope...Dublin native here, applying through ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Hi Eng Doc. Iv heard that the use of cadavers has become an outdated aspect of teaching medicine and the use of cadavers gives rise to a number of ethical issues not to mention their scarcity. Perhaps they serve as a right of passage more then anything else which I completely understand. I can see where your coming from as regards re-locating and basically uprooting your life.

Hi Eng Doc. Iv heard that the use of cadavers has become an outdated aspect of teaching medicine and the use of cadavers gives rise to a number of ethical issues not to mention their scarcity. Perhaps they serve as a right of passage more then anything else which I completely understand. I can see where your coming from as regards re-locating and basically uprooting your life.

Is there a scarcity problem with cadavers? I heard (would need to confirm this now) that they often turn people down and have a backlog of applicants. Also, some or all of the colleges look after the costs of burial when they've finished with you? Found this link:
    http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/anatomy/donations/

As for the ethical issues...that's a section two gamsat essay right there! :P
    Not sure what the ethical problem would be if people have signed themselves up of their own accord and it's their wishes.

Still think I'd find it easier to learn if I could manually inspect what I'm trying to figure out. As an example, when I was in college I would have found it harder to understand digital electronics without sitting down in a lab and playing around with a load of ICs and a jumble of different coloured wires. Ok, very different scenario...but I like the hands-on approach to learning, maybe that's just me.

I personally would also prefer to learn anatomy on cadavers, however it is interesting to note the move towards other methods across uk medical schools too. Obviously, practicalities etc play a part from the med school side, however I don't think that there would be general reform of this type of teaching if the alternatives were not fit for purpose. I would also note the move toward computer and robot aided surgical techniques being introduced, and that there could be a benefit of learning in a computerised manner for the future. Although, I caveat this by stating that i have no direct experience of any method as yet.

• Advertisement

...however I don't think that there would be general reform of this type of teaching if the alternatives were not fit for purpose.

Agreed...I'm pretty sure the guys down in UL know what they're about. Best of luck with UCD, not too long to go now...we're gettting there slowly but surely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

EngDoc wrote: »
    Is there a scarcity problem with cadavers? I heard (would need to confirm this now) that they often turn people down and have a backlog of applicants. Also, some or all of the colleges look after the costs of burial when they've finished with you? Found this link:
    http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/anatomy/donations/

As for the ethical issues...that's a section two gamsat essay right there! :P
    Not sure what the ethical problem would be if people have signed themselves up of their own accord and it's their wishes.

Still think I'd find it easier to learn if I could manually inspect what I'm trying to figure out. As an example, when I was in college I would have found it harder to understand digital electronics without sitting down in a lab and playing around with a load of ICs and a jumble of different coloured wires. Ok, very different scenario...but I like the hands-on approach to learning, maybe that's just me.

Ye I get you, most of my information, in keeping with this thread, was word of mouth and hear say I have to admit. I appreciate that text books and software can never really compensate for the actual sight and texture of the various body parts.

Indeed. Cheers mate, wishing you best of luck too.

I have a telephone meeting with the bank manager at AIB UCD branch on Tuesday, so I will know for certain then whether finance will be in place for UK/EU citizens too. I keep thinking that there will be an issue with the loan, it seems too easy to say to someone from another country "here you are here is 100k, take care and see you around"!

Out of curiosity, do you know why the general work situation is in Ireland at the moment EngDoc? Will it be realistic to get a prt time job as soon as I move over?

Out of curiosity, do you know why the general work situation is in Ireland at the moment EngDoc? Will it be realistic to get a prt time job as soon as I move over?

In general, not great I'm afraid. Really depends on your background and work experience though. With the specific side of engineering I play around in there are still some jobs floating around, mainly full-time positions though...not really suitable for a student.

I've heard that the first year of the grad med courses are pretty intense too, not sure if part-time work would be much of an option anyways. I'm sure that depends on the individual though. I've heard it becomes a lot more manageable in the second year...that's just word of mouth though.

I wouldn't depend on picking up a part-time job to subsidise the fees, hopefully the bank manager has some good news for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks EngDoc. Im crossing my fingers about Tuesday and hoping for the best!! Prob would be looking for bar work or anything else that would be transient. I know people say that working may not be feasible, especially in first year, but we are talking 6 hrs here, surely it is possible to find time time during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

I know people say that working may not be feasible, especially in first year, but we are talking 6 hrs here, surely it is possible to find time time during the week!

I wanted to say HAHAHAHA:D

But I'll say this I'll say this instead:

You probably won't find a regular 6 hour-a-week slot to spare in first year to be honest, but it may depend on which course you pick and how relevant your background is.

In UL, the vast majority of people treat it as 7 day working week in first year, with the occasional 6 day week thrown in for a bit of a break. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stmp

Will people stop blabbering on about using cadavers as a teaching tool.

I'm sorry but my undergrad was physiotherapy. We studied anatomy for two years and probably went more in depth than the medics. We used cadavers for dissection practicals and it was useless. Literally a waste of time. You'll realise this if you get to use them. Trust me, UL not having cadavers makes absolutely no difference whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DiGeorge

Stmp wrote: »
    Will people stop blabbering on about using cadavers as a teaching tool.

I'm sorry but my undergrad was physiotherapy. We studied anatomy for two years and probably went more in depth than the medics. We used cadavers for dissection practicals and it was useless. Literally a waste of time. You'll realise this if you get to use them. Trust me, UL not having cadavers makes absolutely no difference whatsoever

True story.

I found them slightly useful but only if there was a good clinical tutor there to go through things.

I'd be much more concerned about learning entirely through PBL* than about cadavers.

*Based on my experience of PBL in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

cadavers aren't a teaching tool per say they are a rite of passage - getting the mind accustomed to cutting through human tissue and in a strange way getting the mind used to being around death.

everyone remembers their first time in the cadaver lab when the white sheets are over the bodies. I would not have like to miss out on that experience or start on a medical career without that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stmp

"they are a rite of passage - getting the mind accustomed to cutting through human tissue and in a strange way getting the mind used to being around death.

I would not have like to miss out on that experience or start on a medical career without that experience."

I think you need to get out more mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DiGeorge

cadavers aren't a teaching tool per say they are a rite of passage - getting the mind accustomed to cutting through human tissue and in a strange way getting the mind used to being around death.

Nothing gets you used to being around death except being around death.
    everyone remembers their first time in the cadaver lab when the white sheets are over the bodies. I would not have like to miss out on that experience or start on a medical career without that experience.

I felt the exact same as you before I started med and assumed that cadavers were the be all and end all, my first day in surgery changed that.

I guess it's easy for me to say that cadavers don't matter having gone through that experience myself but they really do not matter. They're nothing like a live human body in any respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

You've changed your tune as regards cadavers as a teaching tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JakeZ

You've changed your tune as regards cadavers as a teaching tool.

On a total separate note

ANYONE IN DUBLIN WANT TI MEET UP FOR STUDY GROUP/MOTIVATION????

Have loads of work done but am doing it alone as all my mates dropped out in the end. PM me :)

Hittin it hard for London 2013 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Just over 2 weeks until offers......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Clicli91 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm hoping to start medicine in 2013...all going to plan!...I was going to sit the GAMSAT in Dublin in March but a few people have asked me if I would do it in London in September (like 3 months away!) as a trial run....just wanted to get opinions on this...and also studying for it in a group or by yourself...which would be best??!

If you can afford it, I'd have a go at the trial run in London/September - worst case, it's probably worth the money to get a sense of the test; best case, you could score high enough not to be bothered doing it again in March. Because the test is so unpredictable and weird, I'd choose group study if I had to do it again, many heads sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eimz_T

Just over 2 weeks until offers......

such a long wait. Getting impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

Eimz_T wrote: »
    such a long wait. Getting impatient
    I don't understand why they can't just tell us now? They have the transcripts and GAMSAT results?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

I'm going into 3rd yr of my course in Sept, with the intention of doing the GAMSAT in march ' 13 . How have others managed in doing a full time degree and studying for it ? I've to do a mock research paper plus pharmacology and a heap of others so Ill be up the creek ...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

I'm going into 3rd yr of my course in Sept, with the intention of doing the GAMSAT in march ' 13 . How have others managed in doing a full time degree and studying for it ? I've to do a mock research paper plus pharmacology and a heap of others so Ill be up the creek ...

even still med is what i want and am willing to do whatever -want to have a map for doing it right though this time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

I don't understand why they can't just tell us now? They have the transcripts and GAMSAT results?!:confused:

the colleges are only assessing grads from this year tomorrow at the cao, and then they have a week for people to get more information if they forgot to submit anything...then offers! :D

the colleges are only assessing grads from this year tomorrow at the cao, and then they have a week for people to get more information if they forgot to submit anything...then offers! :D

If I don't manage to get into UCD with 59, I'm just gonna buy a white coat & stethoscope and pretend I'm a med student.

I guess for people like me, with borderline scores for the place they want to go, I'll have to wait for second round offers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

first round predictions for the craic

RCSI 60
    UCD 59
    UCC 57
    UL 54

first round predictions for the craic

RCSI 60
    UCD 59
    UCC 57
    UL 54

Well, I think that's the exact round 0 offers from last year (not all applicants offered places).

Of course, as a cynic, I'm sure UCD points will go up and I'd be stuck with the choice of waiting another year or packing my bag for 'the country'! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Joe2011

Any news with you guys on funding? Have Ulster Bank offered anything in terms of living expenses?

Advertisement