Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ul hopefull

Just wondering is there anyone else there with a score of 54 waiting on UL or has anyone anyone idea what the cut off point will be this year. Really praying it won't go up from last year but someone mentioned something about Ul cutting places or something a while back. Trying not to get my hopes up too much but really don't like the thought of hanging around for another year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

Just wondering is there anyone else there with a score of 54 waiting on UL or has anyone anyone idea what the cut off point will be this year. Really praying it won't go up from last year but someone mentioned something about Ul cutting places or something a while back. Trying not to get my hopes up too much but really don't like the thought of hanging around for another year

well the percentile curve looks like its gone down this year, and i dont know about cutting the places, but id be surprised as GEM is a pretty lucrative business for the universities and UL have that shiny new med building be pay for.

I think it will be the same as last year but its just a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

I'm in your boat too! If we are to be offered a place I imagine it will be in the later rounds! :( the UL GEM Thread mentioned that someone heard at the UL open day that 53 was actually the cut off. But dunno how true that is :confused:
    I'm currently studying to repeat the GAMSAT in sept :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ul hopefull

I'm in your boat too! If we are to be offered a place I imagine it will be in the later rounds! :( the UL GEM Thread mentioned that someone heard at the UL open day that 53 was actually the cut off. But dunno how true that is :confused:
    I'm currently studying to repeat the GAMSAT in sept :(

ya i am kind of preparing myself to do it in march couldnt really motivate myself to do it sept. I was thinking the same that it will probably be the second round at least but hopefully we will have a bit of an idea after wed. i heard that about 53 aswell someone actually said something on here about 51 but u never know

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭spotsanddots

ya i am kind of preparing myself to do it in march couldnt really motivate myself to do it sept. I was thinking the same that it will probably be the second round at least but hopefully we will have a bit of an idea after wed. i heard that about 53 aswell someone actually said something on here about 51 but u never know

Also heard that less people were applying for it, but how could anyone possibly know that! According to the website CAO first offers for medicine have increased but that includes the leaving cert entry as well! I just wish I knew already! Since there was a slight shift in the percentile curve that chances of getting may have slightly increased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dmccormack01

Also heard that less people were applying for it, but how could anyone possibly know that! According to the website CAO first offers for medicine have increased but that includes the leaving cert entry as well! I just wish I knew already! Since there was a slight shift in the percentile curve that chances of getting may have slightly increased.

i think the numbers applying are available if you ring the cao, think they were posted oh here at some stage and they were down on previous years but by a tiny amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

Sorry to interrupt all the pleasant chat about how many of us are going to fail, but...

This time next week we'll know where we're headed :eek:

You are stuck in a bubble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjGSfuSQpA

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shamrock22

This might seem out of the blue and maybe the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but does anyone know if the marks for each section are taken at face value I.e. 50/75 in Section One is equivalent to 50 in that section or is it expressed as a percentage, so your points for that section would be 66? If this is the way the section is marked, are the points for Section Three calculated similarly (expressed as a percentage)? Sorry if this has already been discussed, in my study induced exhaustion I'm failing to come up with the answer myself :) cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Shamrock22 wrote: »
    This might seem out of the blue and maybe the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but does anyone know if the marks for each section are taken at face value I.e. 50/75 in Section One is equivalent to 50 in that section or is it expressed as a percentage, so your points for that section would be 66? If this is the way the section is marked, are the points for Section Three calculated similarly (expressed as a percentage)? Sorry if this has already been discussed, in my study induced exhaustion I'm failing to come up with the answer myself :) cheers.

Hi,

I'm pretty certain that it's 25% for S1, 25% for S2 and 50% for S3.

It's weighted in favour of the Science section because it's seen as more important (and it's longer too isn't it?).

And yes, this would have been staring you in the face somewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I don't think it is weighted like that though or there is something else going on as my mark would have been higher if given that weighting. I got the same mark overall as I got in science but averaged slightly higher in sections 1/2. Should have got one point higher based on that. Not that it matters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

It is weighted like that AFAIK, they seem to round down though because I scored 57.5 but only have a 57, Gggggrrrrr :mad:

That's the weighting I saw on any official documents anyway, and the maths of my scores agreed with it!

Palo are you the person who has been living in France for the last while? I've just come back from 2 years in Paris, withdrawal symptoms are making me think I might be crazy coming back here to do this!

Hey,
    Thanks for the info about the weighting, I thought I read somewhere it was s1 + s2 + s3(2) \ 4? So that makes it a far average? Maybe not :/

Also what I meant initially was when they give you a break down of each section individually, is your mark expressed as how many you got right in that section given the number of questions or as a percentage?

Thanks again!

That's the weighting I saw on any official documents anyway, and the maths of my scores agreed with it!

Palo are you the person who has been living in France for the last while? I've just come back from 2 years in Paris, withdrawal symptoms are making me think I might be crazy coming back here to do this!

The formula you've given there is what happens unless I'm mistaken...

S1 + S2 + S3 x2 = 25% + 25% + 50% unless I'm making some basic mathematical mistake which is entirely possible :cool:

You get scores as a percentage mark in each section iirc, so for example here was what I got in the Irish one:

Section I Reasoning in Humanities & Social Sciences: 58
    Section II Written Communication: 67
    Section III Reasoning in Biological & Physical Sciences: 52

GAMSAT Overall Score: 58

Did better in the London one 6 months before with less study :confused:

Yes they must round down, that would add up.

Yeah living at the folks place down near Montpellier, have been here since early May. Back to Belfast on Tuesday! French has improved at least!

Really super-excited to be moving down to Cork, chose it over Dublin for various lifestyle reasons, reckon I'll be far happier there than at RCSI/UCD due to the sheer hassle of living in Dublin compared to somewhere smaller.

Lonely Traveller, tu veux aller ou? Je cherche une personne a Cork pour practiquer parler Francais :)

J'ai de la chance parce que je vis a Dublin...

So I've chosen dublin but not guaranteed to get it with 59 :eek:

Might see you in Cork if I get there but don't want rent on top of fees :mad:

J'ai de la chance parce que je vis a Dublin...

So I've chosen dublin but not guaranteed to get it with 59 :eek:

Might see you in Cork if I get there but don't want rent on top of fees :mad:

Ah well good luck but sure we can set-up some kind of weird Irish French-speaking cadre in Cork should the need arise.

Yeah, rent is always a problem for me so Cork trumps Dublin as I'll have to rent regardless of where I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

You get scores as a percentage mark in each section iirc

This is not the case. The numbers which indicate your scores on each section are calculated using an undisclosed algorithm. They are not percentages of correct answers. Acer are deliberately tight lipped about the scoring method.

Ok I see what you mean Deadeight. So if you got 58 in section one, for example, it doesn't mean you got 58 correct out of a possible 75 nor does it mean you got 58% of the answers correct?

DeadEight wrote: »
    This is not the case. The numbers which indicate your scores on each section are calculated using an undisclosed algorithm. They are not percentages of correct answers. Acer are deliberately tight lipped about the scoring method.

Right so, apologies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Getting pretty nervous with my 56!! Not confident in the slightest with the way scores have fluctuated over the last few years. Either ways looking forward to getting it out of the way and if needs be begin a few weeks of intense study!

Getting pretty nervous with my 56!! Not confident in the slightest with the way scores have fluctuated over the last few years. Either ways looking forward to getting it out of the way and if needs be begin a few weeks of intense study!

I just can't think of any conceivable way the marks won't at least stay the same if not drop further. AIB pulling the loan should make a difference also I'd imagine.

56 has never not been enough to get into UL if i'm not mistaken, so I'd imagine you're safe as houses for at least that...

I'm just hoping they stay like last year and don't climb back to previous years levels so 57 will be enough for UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I just can't think of any conceivable way the marks won't at least stay the same if not drop further. AIB pulling the loan should make a difference also I'd imagine.

Yeah taking nothing for granted with this Gamsat. Sat the test in September last year and was unable to increase my score in March despite 6 months study and knowing considerably more Chemistry.

Seems last year all predictions were thrown out the window. I suppose my only comfort is in the fact that GradMed is a cash cow for the Uni's and so it makes no sense to cut places.

Out of interest does anyone know how many people got into Cork in the second round of offers? The Website says the lowest score was 56* but I don't know if many got in with this score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

Roll on Thursday!

On some CAO database right now...we're probably sorted neatly into different columns, determining where we'll end up for the next few years.

I need a distraction! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but in September depending on results I'm either going to ucd, trinity or ucl in London. I've looked at the calendar dates for all 3 and while ucl and trinity start freshens week on the 17th September, ucd starts very early on the 3rd!! Also while ucl and trinity finish for Christmas on the 14th December, ucd doesn't finish until the 21st and goes back earlier as well! And it doesn't even seem to have an Easter holiday! Is this all right or have I somehow read it wrong?
    Also in the calendar there is a exams section before christmas and then straight after Christmas called exam process, what is the difference? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but in September depending on results I'm either going to ucd, trinity or ucl in London. I've looked at the calendar dates for all 3 and while ucl and trinity start freshens week on the 17th September, ucd starts very early on the 3rd!! Also while ucl and trinity finish for Christmas on the 14th December, ucd doesn't finish until the 21st and goes back earlier as well! And it doesn't even seem to have an Easter holiday! Is this all right or have I somehow read it wrong?
    Also in the calendar there is a exams section before christmas and then straight after Christmas called exam process, what is the difference? Thanks!

Hey there,

UCD does go back earlier than the other colleges. Orientation week starts on the 3rd this year and college term starts on the 10th of September. This is so we can finish around the first week of December, have a study week and then do the christmas exams and be done and dusted around Dec 21st. This is good imo because it means you can turn into an absolute bum over christmas and nt feel guilty about it. The exam process is just a time for appeals and getting results out it doesnt affect the students much

In term 2 there is a 2 week Easter holiday but there are usually mid-terms straight after it so you'll probably spend it studying. You go back then for another few weeks and sit the summer exams. All in all you should be finished by the 2nd week of May

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Are the results out Wednesday or Thursday? And does anyone know if you don't get an offer will they still send you a letter? Thanks :)

Offers are out Thursday, and yes you'll still get a letter if you don't get an offer, the letter will just be telling you that you haven't received any offers...

Offers can be viewed online and should be available from 6am (I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Great thanks. At least 6 am is better than 4 am gamsat results!

Advertisement