Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Sarah1379 wrote: »
    It’s high, like I said, about 8.5% - repayments year one work out about 180 a month and obviously increase from there. Still best option for me though!

They need some sort of invoice with fees though - do you know when the colleges send that out? After the 9th?

what do you mean repayments on year one? I have the full GEM loan and interest rate is 3.81%. If you take the full loan you are looking at repayments of 800 per month over 10 years and you'll need another couple of years to fully clear the loan after that

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

CiMaster wrote: »
    I will be one of the irish not applying for a loan. I got offered a place last year but decided to take an extra year to save my fees. I now have two years fees saved and enough extra so i dont have to work the first year. My parents said they will help me out with year three and i plan on getting a loan for year four.

I dont agree that it rules people out. Yes it makes it more difficult, but if you want something bad enough, you'll find away, it just might take a bit longer.

So on top of the 60k loan people have to get for fees, they now have to somehow manage to save or steal up 50k to cover living expenses....how could you possibly think that would not rule people out??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

It’s high, like I said, about 8.5% - repayments year one work out about 180 a month and obviously increase from there. Still best option for me though!

They need some sort of invoice with fees though - do you know when the colleges send that out? After the 9th?

what do you mean repayments on year one? I have the full GEM loan and interest rate is 3.81%. If you take the full loan you are looking at repayments of 800 per month over 10 years and you'll need another couple of years to fully clear the loan after that

The full GEM loan does not exist anymore. This is not the same loan.

Repayments interest only for four years:
    So year one I borrow 25000.
    Interest per month is on that 25000.

Year two, I borrow 25000 again.
    Interest per month is on 50000.

And so on. Luckily I'm in a position where I can cover that interest. Should be about 700 in year four.

While obviously I wish I could go back in time and get a gem loan package with half that interest, I can't. As such this is the only way for me to get the full loan with one bank.

And yes, I know that I have a ten year repayment term after college? Not sure what your asking here so I hope the above elucidation clarifies the loan.

It's not fun or pretty but it's my best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CiMaster

eire_245 wrote: »
    So on top of the 60k loan people have to get for fees, they now have to somehow manage to save or steal up 50k to cover living expenses....how could you possibly think that would not rule people out??

"somehow manage to save or steal" - its called EARNING and most people i know have the capacity to earn money and save - sure its not instant cash and takes time, but its do-able.

I am in no way attacking people getting loans, not at all. I agree financial times are dire and its sh1t. I'm just making the point there are other ways and means. As in if you take a year out and save 15k you can use it as collateral against a credit union loan for living etc.

I guess I've wanted to do medicine for so long i just cant imagine money stopping me. Also having being someone who did take a year out to save fees, i guess i'm skeptical of 'i cant do medicine because of money'.

And so on. Luckily I'm in a position where I can cover that interest. Should be about 700 in year four.

While obviously I wish I could go back in time and get a gem loan package with half that interest, I can't. As such this is the only way for me to get the full loan with one bank.

And yes, I know that I have a ten year repayment term after college? Not sure what your asking here so I hope the above elucidation clarifies the loan.

ah right sorry I was just wondering why you were paying interest during the school term as we dont make any repayments until we start working. Id find your loan very tough tbh -Id be drawing down on the loan to pay the interest but fair play its good you found something that works for you

• Advertisement

Joe2011 wrote: »
    Out of interest, were you able to defer last year, or did you have to reapply this year?

Had to reapply - no deferrals allowed :(

Also as my score was quite boardline in 2011 so i retook the gamsat which was a pain but all worth it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Joe2011

Had to reapply - no deferrals allowed :(

Also as my score was quite boardline in 2011 so i retook the gamsat which was a pain but all worth it now :)

Oh ok. You were obviously in no danger score wise in hindsight then. Was that UCD? I know UL never accepted deferrals but I wasn't sure about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

"somehow manage to save or steal" - its called EARNING and most people i know have the capacity to earn money and save - sure its not instant cash and takes time, but its do-able.

I guess I've wanted to do medicine for so long i just cant imagine money stopping me. Also having being someone who did take a year out to save fees, i guess i'm skeptical of 'i cant do medicine because of money'.

I'm sorry but not everyone is in a position to save that kind of money, even over a few years. I know it would have taken me 6-8 years to save 2 years fees on what I was earning before.

Some people wouldn't have considered starting from scratch again and doing med only for their previous career going t1ts up due to the recession! :)

I am in no way attacking people getting loans, not at all. I agree financial times are dire and its sh1t. I'm just making the point there are other ways and means. As in if you take a year out and save 15k you can use it as collateral against a credit union loan for living etc.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom, who would have thought that you get money by "earning" it.

Saving 15k a year would not be that easy for a lot of people, and practically impossible for others. Even then you would have to do it for 4 years before you have covered living expenses never mind the fees. Im just making the point that there isnt others ways and means for other people.

Fair play to you for saving and getting help, but ill defo be sticking with my original point that grad med is simply going down the route of buying your way into whatever course you want!

eire_245 wrote: »
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom, who would have thought that you get money by "earning" it.

Saving 15k a year would not be that easy for a lot of people, and practically impossible for others. Even then you would have to do it for 4 years before you have covered living expenses never mind the fees. Im just making the point that there isnt others ways and means for other people.

Fair play to you for saving and getting help, but ill defo be sticking with my original point that grad med is simply going down the route of buying your way into whatever course you want!

I respectfully disagree, but interested in the debate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

ah right sorry I was just wondering why you were paying interest during the school term as we dont make any repayments until we start working. Id find your loan very tough tbh -Id be drawing down on the loan to pay the interest but fair play its good you found something that works for you

You dont pay interest even? Ha that's amazing. Jealous.

interest is at 3.8% it just adds onto the loan but you dont have to pay it until we start work

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lelouchan

interest is at 3.8% it just adds onto the loan but you dont have to pay it until we start work

The rate we have now for boi is 4.1% for the 4 years and them it moves up to 7.5 when we finish. Does yours stay at 3.8% even after the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hi guys,

Anyone heard anything about places being cut for next year? Like rumours or anything. Just debating about whether to cancel an offer for a year to try and save some money and UL wont let me defer. So Im just wondering if places are cut will points go up again because I couldnt see more people applying for the courses again next year.

lelouchan wrote: »
    The rate we have now for boi is 4.1% for the 4 years and them it moves up to 7.5 when we finish. Does yours stay at 3.8% even after the course?

when I first got the loan it was at 4.7 and when we finished it was supposed to go to 5.8 (I think) but thats probably dropped to 4.8 now considering the interest on the loan has dropped also

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lelouchan

when I first got the loan it was at 4.7 and when we finished it was supposed to go to 5.8 (I think) but thats probably dropped to 4.8 now considering the interest on the loan has dropped also

That's so much better than we have and you get more. Sigh. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Just wondering if any of you that are going to UL have explored the option of getting a scholarship from the university. I think UL offer 3 based on a fairly comprehensive "means test". I know a guy in 3rd year who got it based his 1.1 undergrad degree and also getting a pretty amazing score in the GAMSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

chips365 wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you that are going to UL have explored the option of getting a scholarship from the university. I think UL offer 3 based on a fairly comprehensive "means test". I know a guy in 3rd year who got it based his 1.1 undergrad degree and also getting a pretty amazing score in the GAMSAT.

I thought you had to have submitted an application for that back in april or something? maybe i'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

I thought you had to have submitted an application for that back in april or something? maybe i'm wrong?

The deadline for the scholarship for entry in 2012 was in march/april.

It is an incredibly attractive scholarship!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭51533823

As others have said, the deadline has probably passed (it was the end of July last year).

As far as I'm aware it is a means based scholarship and not based on previous academic performance.

• Advertisement

51533823 wrote: »
    As others have said, the deadline has probably passed (it was the end of July last year).

As far as I'm aware it is a means based scholarship and not based on previous academic performance.

I never applied as i never thought i would have gotten in with my 2 months study! :( There would have been a chance i could have gotten it too....i dont even want to think about it! Its all means tested afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

51533823 wrote: »

From what i remember being told, when you applied to the CAO, a preliminary application for the grant would have been sent from UL once they know you have chosen their course and it was your first choice (and you were an EU student).After that UL narrow down the applicants and send out a more detailed application pack to you.

There used to be an interview also but that may be gone. Basically they lookfor resilience in the face of adversity, your ability to excel despite financial, sociological difficulties. That’s how the guy i know got it. He hada 1st class honours degree and got a serious GAMSAT score so that basically showed the committee that he had that little something extra and he got it.Would be pretty sweet to have an all expenses paid 4 years!

Although i remember him telling me that unless you really really need it and you have exhausted every other financial option, you won't get it.

But the entire process has probably changed by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Moji70

The selection for the scholarship is simply insane. I phoned the med school few times so far, and they said the scholarship is granted two weeks after the course starts. 

I am a UK applicant with UL offer, I can't afford the tuition fees and can't get a bank loan. So for me to find out wether I am granted the scholarship or not, I have to pay my accommodation fees (which I cancelled it today) and first instalment of my tuition fees, and start the course.

If I could afford this I wouldn't be applying for scholarship anyway. Moreover, I wouldn't be eligible for that either at the first place. 

This system drives me mad. 

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gordonia

It's a pretty unfair system. They seem to base is primarily on your parents' financial/sociological situation at the time you left school, and their criteria are annoyingly narrow...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fattoorovers

anyone going to UL and not sorted accommodation yet? was thinking of getting a place off campus, but close enough to walk. PM if interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cupcakemix4

If anyone is thinking of sitting the GAMSAT in 2013 I have a huge selection of study guides available for sale including:

ACER practice tests, Des O'Neill notes, Gradmed books for all sections, Gurumed books, Organic Chemistry for Dummies, MCAT Verbal Reasoning (really useful for mastering section 1), leaving certificate Biology, Physics and Chemistry books and Workbooks for revising section 3 etc.

I would prefer to sell the lot to one person, €350. If interested please message me. And good luck to everyone hoping to sit the exam!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

anyone going to UL and not sorted accommodation yet? was thinking of getting a place off campus, but close enough to walk. PM if interested!
    Not sure if you've seen this but there's a Facebook page set up for incoming UL GEMs students. A few people looking and posting about off campus accommodation here as well as info in the student guides (documents section).

http://www.facebook.com/groups/201089616673238/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ul hopefull

so u are basically paying 2000 in year one 4000 in year 2 6000 in year 3 and 8000 in 4 and u then begin paying off the 100000 when you start working

seeing as all the banks have removed the expenses option i think this might suit me perfectly. what year did you get that loan. do you know if aib still offer that option

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Have a question about the gamsat - does it require you to have a higher degree or ordinary degree ? was thinking that if i get it in the bag next march that i could possibly take my ordinary degree - 3 yrs rather than finish my degree altogether and hop into GEM then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

There are no requirements to sit the GAMSAT. To apply for graduate entry medicine you must present a GAMSAT score and hold (or expect to hold by July 1st of the year of applying) a II.1 or higher Honours Bachelor Degree (Level 8). Ordinary degrees, as far as I'm aware are Level 7 and as such cannot be considered.

Advertisement