Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Patio Pot Plants

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've got a couple of med -large patio pots which I'd like to plant something in them.

Not much of a gardener, but can someone recommend me some suitable plants? Something fairly hardy (given the last two winters!), doesn't grow too tall, maybe flowering?

I was thinking of a hydrangea maybe or a philadelphus(sp) - that's a early summer flowering plant with lovely orange blossom scented flowers?

Anyway - any and all ideas welcome!

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bump! Anyone able to help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

A camelia. Dwarf apple tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hydrangea would be ok in a pot, philadelphus is a bit vigorous I think, would be better in the open garden. I would be inclined to put in something like a phormium, surround it with small spring bulbs and pop in some bedding in the early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭meolwan

What about trying some kind of fruit tree on dwarft root stock something like an apple or peach. These can be got in any good Garden centre for not too much money. The best way I have found with pots is try it and see learn what works in your and your neighbours gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Wow! I never thought of dwarf apple trees - that sounds really cool.:cool: I might go for that...

Thanks for all the ideas guys - I might have to get a few more pots to try them all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You have great options with dwarf fruit trees. You can get different varieties grafted onto the same root stock. So for example you could get an apple tree which will produce different types at different times giving you a good spread of fruit throughout a season instead of one glut all at once. You can even get trees with apples and pears grafted onto the same root stock!
    Check mrmiddleton.com and request a catalogue. Might not be the best time to get them though. Catalogue comes out around Christmas and they have lots of types.

Advertisement