Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The role of a Fishery Protection Officer?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I was just wondering how a fishery officer administer penalties and fines when a fisherman is breaking the law. I know they can issue an on the spot fine of 150EU and can confiscate your rod.

(A) A person without a licence and a permit.

(B) A person with a licence but without a permit.

(C) A person with a licence, with a permit but fishing an illegal bait (live bait, fish roe).

(D) A person fishing outside of season.

Do they actually issue an on the spot fine or will they issue you a request in the post. Do they confiscate your rod in all cases, but say for a person fishing without a permit will they just tell you to leave the area?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

on the spot fine is issued to you and has to be paid normally within 30 days, they can ask you for identification, if you refuse to provide identification you are breaking the law and can be arrested for not complying with an authorised officer. your id can also be obtained by car reg. gear can be seized as it is being used illegally. if you are not breakin the rules you wont have any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

Yeah I was just wondering what circumstances would they or wouldn't they issue a fine and/or confiscate your rod, is it all cases or just some. I guess it's really down to the fishery officer and how well known the individual is known. When I was younger I was fishing in a stretch of river which required a permit to fish, I genuinley didn't know it at the time and the fishery officer just told me to move to another spot.

I'm preparing myself for an interview but I'm not a expert in the protection side of things, I've experience in their work just haven't done any patroling the beats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There is better qualified people on here to answer this question but i think you need to make a distinction between permits and licences. The fisheries board are not too interested in you having permission to fish a water (unless of course it is their own water). That's a civil matter.

They are more interested in that you are not fishing outside of the law as per the various fisheries act such as the fisheries consolidation act. That's where having a licence, open seasons, etc. come into play.

Bets of luck with the interview in anycase. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

SeaFields wrote: »
    There is better qualified people on here to answer this question but i think you need to make a distinction between permits and licences. The fisheries board are not too interested in you having permission to fish a water (unless of course it is their own water). That's a civil matter.

They are more interested in that you are not fishing outside of the law as per the various fisheries act such as the fisheries consolidation act. That's where having a licence, open seasons, etc. come into play.

Bets of luck with the interview in anycase. :)

Better qualified???
    Howya effluent, you should check out the fisheries waterkeepers act 1953. Outdated, money in oldskool. A rod or line is classed as a fixed engine and if used illegally can be seized. Im a club waterkeeper myself and if I catch someone firstime, on your way, 2nd time severe talkin, 3rd time seize gear. Illegal fishing immediate gear seize. Permits aren't looked for by ifi officers, only state licences. You should brush up invasive species too for interview. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All of those offences are dealt with by way of on-the-spot fines, but if the offence is deemed serious enough can be dealt with through the court system. For instance a man in Waterford was fined €600, with costs of over €400, last week in Waterford, for fishing during the closed season.

Fishery officers use their discretion and common sense when enforcing the law, first offenders are often given the benefit of the doubt and warned, but there's no sympathy for them if they don't heed the warning!

The fine is issued at the time of the offence, but can also be issued at a later date if the officer doesn't have a fines booklet with them. You have 21 days from the date of the fine being issued to pay, after that it goes to the district court.

For State-managed fisheries a fishery officer will look for licence and permit, for club or private waters they will probably just check the licence. Its really up to private waterkeepers to police their own club/private waters for permit compliance.

Equipment is seized as evidence - if the offender pays the fine the gear is returned to them, if they don't pay it is kept as evidence for a court case, and may be the subject of a forfeiture order.

Also, refusal to give your name and address, or giving incorrect details, is an offence - obstruction of a fishery officer - and would normally be dealt with by way of prosecution.

Edit: I just saw your second post. Good luck with the interview!

• Advertisement
Advertisement