Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting papers

• 15-06-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I heard recently that different people correct papers 1 and 2 of Irish. Is this the same in all subjects and if so, why? Do different people correct lets say the history and geography projects as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I'm quite certain that your history paper and your project will be corrected by the same person, at least that's what my teacher told us.

Also, both English papers are corrected by the same examiner. Don't know about any other subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Same person corrects all components of your exam (orals excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

My friend's mam is a Business teacher and I know she was just correcting Paper 1 in the Junior Cert last year. She told me it's easier to just get one big batch of Paper 1s than to get get half Paper 1s and half Paper 2s. I don't know if this applies to every subject though but I can't see why not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Same person corrects all components of your exam (orals excluded).

So the person who conducted my oral exam will be marking my written exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Your own teacher corrects the construction and ag science proejcts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

fionnsci wrote: »
    So the person who conducted my oral exam will be marking my written exam?

He said excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

No they are corrected by different people.

They are different exams and the SEC treats them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

im pretty sure geography project and exam are corrected by the same person.. as your exam paper goes into a pocket on the front of the folder u put your project into..
    my teacher corrects exams and thats what she said anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

im pretty sure geography project and exam are corrected by the same person.. as your exam paper goes into a pocket on the front of the folder u put your project into..
    my teacher corrects exams and thats what she said anyway! :)

Yeah projects go together but exams (Paper 1 and Paper 2) go separately!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I feel sorry for the examiner who has to read my pathetic excuse for Irish paper 2.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why on earth would they have the same person marking both papers?
    What benefit could it possibly have? Why would they waste resources trying to organise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Heard some bad stories about examiners and the way they can treat papers.I know a girl who was brilliant at Ag Science, think she got a B1 in her pre. When she got her results she had a C2 and knew it had to be wrong. When she looked at her papers the examiner literally hadnt marked like 4 pages of her work. Then Ive heard other stories about different art examiners marking different parts of the exam. A girl got a C2 in her art and she was like the best in her class. She hada get it remarked, ended up getting an A1 but hada wait 6 weeks to go to college before she got the result back to bring her points up. I think its a bit of a disaster and its worrying me about my own exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The main thing is there all things that you've heard.....that doesn't make them true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ficheall wrote: »
    Why on earth would they have the same person marking both papers?
    What benefit could it possibly have? Why would they waste resources trying to organise that?
    Tbh, it sounds like a better idea. If the same person corrects both papers there'll be the same standard of correction throughout (yes, yes, it should be uniform standard anyway). I don't see how it's much of a waste of resources, all that would have to be done is ensuring the 2 papers in one subject for each candidate get to the same corrector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

smeal wrote: »
    Heard some bad stories about examiners and the way they can treat papers.I know a girl who was brilliant at Ag Science, think she got a B1 in her pre. When she got her results she had a C2 and knew it had to be wrong. When she looked at her papers the examiner literally hadnt marked like 4 pages of her work. Then Ive heard other stories about different art examiners marking different parts of the exam. A girl got a C2 in her art and she was like the best in her class. She hada get it remarked, ended up getting an A1 but hada wait 6 weeks to go to college before she got the result back to bring her points up. I think its a bit of a disaster and its worrying me about my own exams.

I really hope that's only a rumour because thats just awful!

Half of that sounds like bollox... waiting 6 weeks to go to college - I was under the impression the remarks had to be done before college for this very reason.. That sounds like a scare story tbh I wouldn't read much into. Plus, if an examiner doesn't correct 4 pages of work, it will reflect in your grade, you will get it rechecked and get the grade you deserve so it's not like you'll be cheated out of anything. Don't worry about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You have to remember that the examiner has 200+ papers. Mistakes are guaranteed to happen. Some are double checked but mistakes happen.

I remember in 2006 I viewed my scripts just to have a look at them. In english the 1st examiner gave me 100% in Paper 1 and 95% in Paper 2. I was not an A english student so I found it fairly funny. A second person corrected it and downgraded me to a B1. I didn't care as I comfortably had my college spot but with nearly 1,000,000 different exam scripts being corrected it is inevitable that errors will be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

But aren't the dates for reviewing you papers the very end of August? That means if you choose to have them rechecked you'd definitely never have it back for the start of college. Missing a few weeks seems very likely. Really hope I don't have to get any rechecks. I'll probably end up reviewing a few scripts if I dont get what I want. Might be funny to see how ridiculous my answers actually were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Half of that sounds like bollox... waiting 6 weeks to go to college

The rechecks don't come back until mid-october

kmart6 wrote: »
    The main thing is there all things that you've heard.....that doesn't make them true!!

The Ag Science one was about my best friend. The art one was from a girl last year in my school and our art teacher was telling us. So yeah, they are a wee bit true.

• Advertisement

Half of that sounds like bollox... waiting 6 weeks to go to college - I was under the impression the remarks had to be done before college for this very reason.. That sounds like a scare story tbh I wouldn't read much into. Plus, if an examiner doesn't correct 4 pages of work, it will reflect in your grade, you will get it rechecked and get the grade you deserve so it's not like you'll be cheated out of anything. Don't worry about it!

All of that is COMPLETLY true. The girl who did art was in DCU for 6 weeks before getting the place in NUI Galway that she wanted and she had to move out and start fresh. They dont come back until the first or second week of October. Its a bit of a joke. Just hope i dont need to get anything rechecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

I have to agree with above, I think it would be a better idea to have one examiner correct all your work, get a feel for the canidate as a whole over the two papers/projects/orals etc. I know the standard of marking can vary wildly (art is notorious for this, all in the opinion of the examiner what "good" art is) so i think something should be done to try and really clamp down on this, save people the heartache in august..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

dunner :P wrote: »
    I think it would be a better idea to have one examiner correct all your work, get a feel for the .

I agree but then again in another way I don't

I agree it would be good if the examiner likes your style and stuff and they have a better idea of your capabilites

but what If your stuff is good but the examiner just doesn't like your style; lets say your essay in English ?.

^^^^ I jumped to conclusions about the story being "bollox", my bad. As for English, I reckon if the examiner marked both papers then there would be some inconsistencies. If he marked Paper 1 and gave you 95, really liking your style, then he may be tempted to give you more marks in Paper 2 even when you don't deserve it, simply because he/she knows that you're good at English. He may forgive things like not knowing quotes, the story, including key moments etc which obviously isn't good. Perhaps that's the reason(or at least one of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

THFC wrote: »
    Your own teacher corrects the construction and ag science proejcts though.
    an examiner has been in since wednesday in my school correcting construction, The teacher simply says what he helped you with and and answers any qustions, I believe.

they just have to sign off saying you didn't get help at home and it is all your own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I know for definite that Junior Cert HL English papers are corrected by the one examiner because my auntie did it last year.

I asked her is it the same for LC higher level and she said she's not 100% but she thinks that it is!

I got an A in JC English, I'm not complaining but my exam was BRUTAL! I mean, the bull***t that went on in it was something else and I hadn't even read the novel. However I'm quite good at putting my point across and paper 1 was a lot better so I do think that my good paper 1 influenced the correction of paper 2. Luckily for me it worked to my advantage. However if someone knew their poetry and plays etc inside out but wasn't naturally tallented at writing it could potentially do their grade damage.

The reason my auntie said they correct them together is so the corrector can get used to your style, and if one paper lets you down they can try and bring you up if they see you did better in one paper over another.

I asked her if one paper was great and the other was terrible would they bring your great one down because of the terrible one and she said no way. Examiners are there to give you marks not take them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

^^^^ I jumped to conclusions about the story being "bollox", my bad. As for English, I reckon if the examiner marked both papers then there would be some inconsistencies. If he marked Paper 1 and gave you 95, really liking your style, then he may be tempted to give you more marks in Paper 2 even when you don't deserve it, simply because he/she knows that you're good at English. He may forgive things like not knowing quotes, the story, including key moments etc which obviously isn't good. Perhaps that's the reason(or at least one of them)
    Thats what I really hate about english and creative writing etc... Its a matter of perception, and the examiners views are totally subjective, although they try to be neutral may not admit it, if the examiner hates the subject matter of your piece its going to affect your mark, even slghtly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Junior cert English is done on the same day so both papers could be posted together. For LC they're posted separately so I could imagine them being corrected separately too. But I don't actually know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

LC Eng papers given to different people. Also, don't listen to the horror stories, my neighbour corrects and I'd say is very very careful honestly, seems to put in an awful lot of hours doing it too but sure I suppose it's hard to tell what he's like as a student. Seems diligent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Mousey- wrote: »
    an examiner has been in since wednesday in my school correcting construction, The teacher simply says what he helped you with and and answers any qustions, I believe.

they just have to sign off saying you didn't get help at home and it is all your own work.
    No. Your teacher marks everything on your projects. Then an external examiner comes in and checks what the teacher has marked and can change them accordingly, up or down.

Advertisement