Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting papers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Where are you getting your information from, may I ask?

Anything I've heard (from teachers) is that it is external examiners come to the school, and mark the projects.
    The teachers sign forms confirming that it is the students own work, but I've never heard of them correcting the actual projects. Maybe a estimate, but not officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

what.to.do wrote: »
    Where are you getting your information from, may I ask?

Anything I've heard (from teachers) is that it is external examiners come to the school, and mark the projects.
    The teachers sign forms confirming that it is the students own work, but I've never heard of them correcting the actual projects. Maybe a estimate, but not officially.
    My teacher told us everyday for some reason.
    External examiners do come into the school to examine the projects. They look at the marks given by the teacher and can change them. Only your teacher knows if you have conformed to stuff like health and safety. Bit unfair really.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I know for certain that both LC English papers are corrected by the same person. My teacher told me this and he is a head examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

clonadlad wrote: »
    External examiners do come into the school to examine the projects. They look at the marks given by the teacher and can change them. Only your teacher knows if you have conformed to stuff like health and safety. Bit unfair really.

you're right your teacher corrects the project and the external examiner only comes into to check up on how its been marked. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

you're right your teacher corrects the project and the external examiner only comes into to check up on how its been marked. :D

Not the case for Technology, the external examiner corrects the projects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

clonadlad wrote: »

That's not entirely true.
    In most schools the external examiner marks the projects and in others they check the marking standard of the local teachers.

Whether a teacher chooses to mark in his/her school often boils down to which union they are in. ASTI in general do not, TUI do if there is a payment for it and a marking conference in advance.

I know because I am an external monitor/examiner for a JC subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I'm pretty sure English papers for the LC are corrected by the same person. My teacher always told us it was important to make a good impression with our essays seeing as it is likely to be the first thing corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

When does correcting get under way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I know for certain that both LC English papers are corrected by the same person. My teacher told me this and he is a head examiner.

Thanks for clearing this up. On my Paper 1 I left out part iii) of Question A (20 marks) by accident. Hopefully because it is the same corrector then h/she will notice it was a complete mistake and perhaps take it into account :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You have to remember that the examiner has 200+ papers. Mistakes are guaranteed to happen. Some are double checked but mistakes happen.

I remember in 2006 I viewed my scripts just to have a look at them. In english the 1st examiner gave me 100% in Paper 1 and 95% in Paper 2. I was not an A english student so I found it fairly funny. A second person corrected it and downgraded me to a B1. I didn't care as I comfortably had my college spot but with nearly 1,000,000 different exam scripts being corrected it is inevitable that errors will be made.

Why the heck did you bother getting your paper rechecked if you got an A1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

January wrote: »

Lol thats what I was thinking :rolleyes:.

Oh NO I got an A1!!! I reeeeally wanted a B1! :( .. imagine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

January wrote: »

He got a B1.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

C__MC wrote: »

That's what I'd love to know too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

C__MC wrote: »

LC correcting will be the priority and as far as I know the exam conferences start next week, but don't quote me on that. They will definitely start the conferences for JC the following week.

So, correcting starts as soon as the correctors get home. Roughly it's the first three weeks of July.

They have to have a sample 20 in within days, which is a PITA as you're getting used to the marking scheme, then they will get about 4 days to get the first 100 in, then about the same for the second 100 etc..

If there's a change in the marking scheme as a result of the review of the sample 20 or first 100, the deadlines for the second and third 100 still stand but the correctors may have to go back and redo the first 100 as well.

Once all the results are back in Athlone (usually the end of July by the time all subjects are in), the big push is to get the LC results checked, sorted, inputted and out to the schools mid August.

Once the LC results are in the schools they turn their attention in Athlone to inputting the JC results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

spurious wrote: »
    LC correcting will be the priority and as far as I know the exam conferences start next week, but don't quote me on that. They will definitely start the conferences for JC the following week.

So, correcting starts as soon as the correctors get home. Roughly it's the first three weeks of July.

They have to have a sample 20 in within days, which is a PITA as you're getting used to the marking scheme, then they will get about 4 days to get the first 100 in, then about the same for the second 100 etc..

If there's a change in the marking scheme as a result of the review of the sample 20 or first 100, the deadlines for the second and third 100 still stand but the correctors may have to go back and redo the first 100 as well.

Once all the results are back in Athlone (usually the end of July by the time all subjects are in), the big push is to get the LC results checked, sorted, inputted and out to the schools mid August.

Once the LC results are in the schools they turn their attention in Athlone to inputting the JC results.

Sounds like a full-scale operation!:eek:

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Sounds like a full-scale operation!:eek:

It's amazing it runs so smoothly to be honest. Even allowing for the few clangers that happen every year in marking.

There is a constant stream of packets of papers being posted all over the country, to and from correctors and advising examiners, to and from Athlone - madness.

I think it may even be a 24 hour operation in Athlone for part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Our accountancy teacher told us that she was once correcting scripts while in college. It was a very hot summer, and at one conference there was uproar.
    One of the correctors was found, sunbathing, on the beach, correcting scripts.
    He must have been in a savage mood and given some amount of A1's!

There are all sorts of rules for the security of the papers. I don't think the sunbather would be getting a second gig.

Advertisement