Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identity of large bird flying south

• 15-06-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49

I'm wondering if anyone else spotted a large bird flying south towards Wicklow near the Farrenkelly Rd this morning at approx 11.45am. It wasn't a herron but as I was driving I couldn't really identify it. I was hoping it was an eagle but who knows?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There are a couple of Buzzards hanging around up there the last couple of days. They are regularly reported as eagle sightings. Quite big, brown, barred, white and wing tips are spread pinions rather than pointed.
    There was a sea eagle about recently. Not sure he's still about though. He stays around the Breeches Kilcoole, Avoca and the Murrough a few times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

If pixbyjohn missed this and doesn't put up a pic within 24 hours we'll have to sack him as official Boardsie Greystones Photographer....with no redundancy ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Misty May

There are a couple of Buzzards hanging around up there the last couple of days. They are regularly reported as eagle sightings. Quite big, brown, barred, white and wing tips are spread pinions rather than pointed.

You are probably right. I did see a buzzard last year in our garden and it caused great excitement at the time, rushing for cameras and binoculars. I'm still hoping to catch sight of a white tailed eagle.....:D

I dont think the eagle is around at the moment. I think his last location was fermanagh and there are a couple up at Inishown for the past few days. But your best bet is Kerry at the moment. He was in Avoca a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Moved to Nature & Bird Watching for a bettor opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've tidied up the thread to make it more concise.
    It was opened in Wicklow.

Have there been any large raptors apart from Buzzards reported in coastal Wicklow during past few days?

Saw WTE was sighted at Avoca two weeks ago on irishbirding.com but not since. Plenty of Buzzard activity around Farrankelly at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Misty May wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone else spotted a large bird flying south towards Wicklow near the Farrenkelly Rd this morning at approx 11.45am. It wasn't a herron but as I was driving I couldn't really identify it. I was hoping it was an eagle but who knows?:D

Red Kite?
    I've seen them as far north as Shankill.

Advertisement