Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Economics HL Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

• 15-06-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has anyone got any tips on what they feel will come up next Wednesday? Trying to use my time wisely..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Eoin Jackson has predictions on youtube, just type in economics 2011 with his name and you'll get them! printable sheet in the notes too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

biggaman wrote: »
    Eoin Jackson has predictions on youtube,

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Thanks guys! Can i ask, how accurate has this chap proven to be?? Some of his predictions conflict with what my teacher told me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

roisin24 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Can i ask, how accurate has this chap proven to be?? Some of his predictions conflict with what my teacher told me....

My teacher thought that Monopoly and M+B were good bets for HL.
    He doesn't seem to think so, his Business, History and Geog were all pretty good though.

Its tough to call although he predicts Oligopoly & Perfect Competition, which last came up in 2006 & 2007 respectively. Monopoly came up in 2008 & 2010. Imperfect Competition 2009. He may be right on that one.
    However he does not mention Supply & Demand, which has come up in 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010. Do you think this will be up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

SDTimeout wrote: »
    My teacher thought that Monopoly and M+B were good bets for HL.
    He doesn't seem to think so, his Business, History and Geog were all pretty good though.
    If Monopoly comes up I'm screwed! It just has to be oligopoly and perfect comepetition - they can't leave them out again... they just can't:(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

i cant see monopoly coming up this year.
    they have never repeated da same market structure they put up the year before.
    probably b oligopoly but seeing as its widely expected it will be a tough question IMO

Elasticity very likely too, its been up 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DazRe

Yeah but maybe they might mix things up this year?
    Maybe he didnt mention them because there dead certs and everyone should cover them anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jj123

Our teacher said to be prepared to discuss the performance of the economy in the last year..so to be able to talk about NAMA and the IMF. He also thinks oligoply and perfect competition, government taxation, money and banking and i think he suggested learning economic growth and development too..but i could be wrong on that one! and hopefully John Maynard Keynes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Let's try keep this thread from ge
      tting lost! I'd say the majority of us have 4 or 5 days straight t study for it, so we've all plenty a time to cover everything once we choose wisely! DEMand and supply are usually dead certs mixed with elasticity no?:-) hopefully anyway. It's the easy topic by far! Do you guys quote actual figures a lot?

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

this is what my friends grinds teacher gave out
      cost,supply,demand
      perfect competition
      oligopoly
      land,enterprise,unemployment
      taxes
      privatisation
      population
      money+banking
      balance of trade
      national income
      circular flow
      gov aims
      national debt

2. Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Population could be worth a quick revision!

3. Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

I think capital as a factor of production, my grinds teacher keeps stressing it, she's convinced it'll come up. It does look likely to come up but No one else seems to be expecting it though:confused:

4. Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

roisin24 wrote: »
      Population could be worth a quick revision!

Definitely population. Perhaps with that Labour.
      Also I predict
      Unemployment
      National Debt
      Law of comparative.
      For the short questions then
      Black economy
      Elasticity

I'll post up more as I think of them

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

There is such a good choice for economics. This is all I am studying and am really confident it will cover me.

Q1 Demand and Elasticity
      Q2 Oligopoly
      Q3 Factor of Production
      Q4 Trade (comparative advantage)

Even if one of these dosn't come up I can still do Q8 which is always current affairs/general knowledge type.

6. Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

BOOM BOOM BUMP. :)

so few doing economics. it's sad.

well so few replying in here at least.

I don't know why Im suddenly competitive 'bout it.

Has been the bane of my life since Hamlet left it.

7. Registered Users Posts: 48 CPFC IRL

International trade appears to be a certainty not appearing last year then the usual suspects demand,supply and elasticity Q1, market structure q2 ,National Income Goverment sector should all be there

Economics is definatly one of the easiest subjects out there to predict

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Question 1, demand,supply & elasticity.
      Question 2, Imperfect/&/oligopoly.
      Question 3,FOP'S labour & capital.
      Question 4, Government & economy.
      Question 5, National income.
      Question 6, int.trade.
      Question 7, Government & economy.
      Question 8, Topical Question, containing current figures & statistics/issues.AKA *applied economics*

Definitely nicest leaving cert subject ;)

9. Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

There is such a good choice for economics. This is all I am studying and am really confident it will cover me.

Q1 Demand and Elasticity
      Q2 Oligopoly
      Q3 Factor of Production

Even if one of these dosn't come up I can still do Q8 which is always current affairs/general knowledge type.

I'm with this guy, he's knows what he's talkin about.

10. Advertisement
    11. Registered Users Posts: 18 danielmonteiro

Quote:

Q1 Demand and Elasticity
      Q2 Oligopoly
      Q3 Factor of Production

So glad I joined this forum.. You and the "really funny guy" eoin.. are gonna save my ass for this subject.

12. Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

what y'all predict for the short questions ?

13. Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey guys sorry to invade your thread but i'm just wondering do you think they would ever repeat a Market Structure one year after the next?. I'm doing this outside of school next year and am just wondering if Oligopoly comes up in 2011 am I safe leaving it out to study as a long question for 2012? Thanks.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Hey guys sorry to invade your thread but i'm just wondering do you think they would ever repeat a Market Structure one year after the next?. I'm doing this outside of school next year and am just wondering if Oligopoly comes up in 2011 am I safe leaving it out to study as a long question for 2012? Thanks.

AFAIK they have never repeated a market structure in consecutive years, they have asked monopoly 2 out of 3 years before though so 2010's market structure could be on for you too!

15. Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

I think capital as a factor of production, my grinds teacher keeps stressing it, she's convinced it'll come up. It does look likely to come up but No one else seems to be expecting it though:confused:

It would be wise to study capital and enterprise along with perfect competition and oligopoly, should be good enough to cover 2 questions but would not be surprised if they dealt us with a harsh paper because economics has become so preditable.

16. Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

mty92 wrote: »
      It would be wise to study capital and enterprise along with perfect competition and oligopoly, should be good enough to cover 2 questions but would not be surprised if they dealt us with a harsh paper because economics has become so preditable.
      I honestly dont care what comes up as long as its something we have covered and straight forward text book stuff. I despise these ''What would you do if you were Minister for Finance'' questions.. which have been popping up in the last number of years :/

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I honestly dont care what comes up as long as its something we have covered and straight forward text book stuff. I despise these ''What would you do if you were Minister for Finance'' questions.. which have been popping up in the last number of years :/
      Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there was *something* of that type.

The SEC has recently been moving gradually towards including some questions in many subjects which require you to actually think / apply your knowledge as opposed to simply regurgitating stuff which you have memorised in advance.

The trick is to make a case and back it up with the theory you have learned. They don't actually expect you to solve the economic crisis, don't worry! :D

18. Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

DaveMur1 wrote: »
      Question 1, demand,supply & elasticity.
      Question 2, Imperfect/&/oligopoly.
      Question 3,FOP'S labour & capital.
      Question 4, Government & economy.
      Question 5, National income.
      Question 6, int.trade.
      Question 7, Government & economy.
      Question 8, Topical Question, containing current figures & statistics/issues.AKA *applied economics*

Definitely nicest leaving cert subject ;)

Why Imperfect?? would it not be more likely perfect competition?

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

The trick is to make a case and back it up with the theory you have learned. They don't actually expect you to solve the economic crisis, don't worry! :D

You never know. This could be the government's final strategy to solve the crisis if everything else is failing :P.

20. Advertisement
    21. Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

:P As if if I was an advisor to the Minister to Finance he'd listen to me. I remember writing:
      Me: "Drastically cut public sector pay. :D"
      Noonan: Em, I don't think that would get us re-elected. :confused:

It's like this fella in my year was all: 'Economics is so pointless, I'm doing architecture', and I was thinking of standing up and saying: "We don't need more architects - IRELAND NEEDS OUR ECONOMISTS!"

(I didn't!)

Anyways I spent hours finishing every National Income Q. It didn't come up in 2002. If it doesn't come up again I may just give up on life.

I'm also going to cover:

Supply/Demand and Elasticity
      Oligopoly and Imperfect Comp. (though that prediction fella's thinking perfect) I'm CONVINCED it's oligopoly. But I was also convinced eggs were going to come up in Home Ec. :pac:
      FOPS: Enterprise (again that Eoin fella says Land, so I'll suffer through that too)
      And if I bother, International Trade and LDCs and those silly Terms of Trade calcs.

And I've learnt what the IMF, ECB, NAMA and NTMA do.

Gah I agree it's super predictable, I just hate this thing of mixing the different chapters together.

Advertisement