Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Economics HL Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DazRe

Have to say alright paper of you know your macro! Q1 looked a bit daunting and it's usually my good one but i think it was grand! Sort questions were a bit different alot of info needed but still okay I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

LOVED IT!

Short qs were perfect. Did 8 of them. :)

Then did q1,2,3,4 :)

question1 was the nicest Ive ever seen.

oligopoly had a niggly bit or two. Lovely in general though.

Very very happy. Lovely way to end it all. :)

Learning all the economists and international trade was pointless, but ohwell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Enjoyed that :)

Did question 1, 2, 4 and 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 S.Moran

I thought that was a tough exam!! oligopoly was middlin but no international trade and a tough Q1 and a tough national income ment i had to do basically all macro! thankfully im strong at macro but i still found it tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Did Qs 1,2,4,7

All of my Qs had either a diagram or calculations :P

Exam was fine, think I got my A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I went blank the Equi-Marginal calculation! Gaaaah!

Oh yeah, there was no international trade, wasn't there... Eoin Jackson(!) wasn't that your top suggestion!

Nah I didn't think it was particularly bad, I did kinda blag my way through a few definitions (is there a real definition of market demand?), but I'm overall pretty happy with it.

I would say the exam was fair. Not too easy, not not at all a super hard one.

I did (can't remember the numbers) The Demand Question, National Income, Capital and Oligopoly (I think that was 1,2,3,7? not sure)

Anyone notice the short question the Market Structures was badly worded: 'The product they sell is unique' And it could either Monopoly (they're the only people selling the product, so the product is unique) or Imperfect Comp (they're close substitutes, but they ARE unique). Or am I thinking too much. (No more of that, done with school forever!)

Equi marginal was piss easy

Unique was monopoly

AdamD wrote: »
    Equi marginal was piss easy

Unique was monopoly

Yeah, I put monopoly thankfully! :p Over-thinking, over-thinking!

I know it was piss easy, (that's the worst bit! :'( ) and I went into a panic. I came back to that question, I had less than five minutes left and all I did was draw a fraction and started to panic! :pac: fail...

I had a complete brain freeze on examples of state-owned businesses for a good 3 minutes. Wanted to slap myself

I had a complete brain freeze on examples of state-owned businesses for a good 3 minutes. Wanted to slap myself

Sometimes I do slap myself in exams. Helps me stay focused. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Lovely exam to finish with :) I did 1, 2, 5 and 8. Did 8 out of the 9 short Q's too. Economics rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

That question 1 was hard. What did ye all do for it? I ended up drawing the same diagrams for a and b.

The quantities on the x-axis should have been smaller for the individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

The quantities on the x-axis should have been smaller for the individual

What quantities? I must have got it completely wrong so.

For the market and individual demand curves you should have put in quantities to show that the market demand is far higher than one individual's demand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

phew.

No comparative advantage is the only bad thing i have to say about this, Oligopoly and Money and Banking questions were a dream. If anything i would have liked twin conflicting objectives and how banks create credit , just to show how well i knew that chapter. :o

Music and I'm done, congrats to those finished today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

Lovely exam, did question 2, 5, 7 and 8.

Finished the LC! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 danielmonteiro

I'm glad the paper went well for you guys!
    I dropped to OL last minute and I don't really regret. Definentely got an A or B. the questions were so easy I completed 6 when I was supposed to answer 4. haha

Anyway.. been quite a ride. 3 years of economics (and I still droped haha). GOOD BYE ECONOMICS!

Til the next time, if I get an offer for an economics course at college.

Why would you do Economics in college if you did ordinary in the leaving :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 King Kenny

lufc1993 wrote: »
    Yea have a good few.. I have teacher whos gotten best student in ireland 3 times in the past 15yrs. Shes predicting the following:

1. Oligopoly Baumol model - most do sweezy but its on the course
    2. Purchasing parity theory in international trade (absolute banker)
    3. Inflation question - construction of CPI, advantages of inflation and uses of CPI
    4. National Income defo not coming up
    5. For demand question be expecting a maths question c part

6. DEFINITE is EU due to the talks about abolishing the euro
    7. as IMF Q was answered really badly last year this year shes backing the European Investment Bank

Great predictions there mate! .... oh wait you got all of them horribly wrong.

It seems to me that you made them up on the spot intending to give people poor predictions. Hopefully everybody ignored them like I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

King Kenny wrote: »
    Great predictions there mate! .... oh wait you got all of them horribly wrong.

It seems to me that you made them up on the spot intending to give people poor predictions. Hopefully everybody ignored them like I did.

After timing is pointless. Predictions are exactly what they say they are-predictions,which may or may not be true.
    What I don't like though is the way he said things like 'definitelyy' no question on national income,or assuring somethings going to come up. No one can no for certain and I hope people took the predictions with a pinch of salt and didn't bank on them being correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

What a woeful way to finish off such a lovely subject :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Hmm wasn't too bad, actually enjoyed doing the exam! :pac:
    Hopeful of getting a minimum of a B in HL

• Registered Users Posts: 18 danielmonteiro

Why would you do Economics in college if you did ordinary in the leaving :S

I always did HL in economics and I actually like economics BUT I got lazy and didn't study properly, actually I don't remember studying at all for economics as I was focusing most of the time in English, Business, Maths and Accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just looked at your paper on the internet! Was quite nice!. I think they're really trying to make people think about their answers and apply to everyday life rather than spew out the stuff. Like all the recent quotes regarding the questions and that!. The only thing I found funny was the fact that Elasticity didn't come up as part of a long question :O, and no International Trade/ History of Economics! Wonder could a full Elasticity Question come up for next years students?.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I hope I don't fail, I made up all the answers :/

Anyone haveva link to the paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement