Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France dos and dont s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Can you explain the E1-11 Card please,,sounds very handy,,thanks,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

check out www.ehic.ie for full details, but basically makes it free and easier to get medical help in public health systems when travelling in Europe.

It does not cover private medical cover. That's why you buy insurance.

It's free, and everyone travelling needs their own. No family version available. Valid for 2 years. Takes 10 days to get one (our so their site says)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

THANKS just checked mine out off date since YESTERDAY :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

bo.jangles wrote: »
    THANKS just checked mine out off date since YESTERDAY :).

You can renew on line, which should be quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Oh just thought of one...

When on the ferry to France turn your phone to silent before you go to sleep!

Right pain getting texts saying welcome to vodaphone UK/O2 Uk in the middle of the night as the ferry passes the south west coast of England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

WildWater wrote: »
    Oh just thought of one...

When on the ferry to France turn your phone to silent before you go to sleep!

Right pain getting texts saying welcome to vodaphone UK/O2 Uk in the middle of the night as the ferry passes the south west coast of England.

Turn it OFF, when at sea it will roam on to the onboard network, which is satellite based and costs something like 5 Euro per minute afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Turn it OFF, when at sea it will roam on to the onboard network, which is satellite based and costs something like 5 Euro per minute afaik.

Never had that happen me before but good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Buy the latest france passion edition,a bargain at €29
    Some of the best places by far in France we've stayed on have been these:)http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

any one got a France passion card that maybe they night be finish with for this year that they would be willing to pass on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Hi guys, just booked our camping hols in South of France, near Béziers. We're going landbridge through UK leaving 1st August - more mileage but full return ferries for €368 (Landcruiser over 1.8m high and 2 people) which is decent value.
    Also got the last pitch on a 4 star site for €400 (9 nights). Good to hear that Diesel is a bit cheaper over there at the mo. Drove the jeep to Germany 2 years ago - 2and a half tanks gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

All the sockets on the ferries are European so if you're planning to entertain the kids with dvds make sure you've your adapter with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

Just back. If doing Cherborg don't even think u can get any wine on a Sunday .. snif sniff .. apart from normandy wine warehouse all the others are closed including Auchan and all big shops.

danny50 wrote: »
    Just back. If doing Cherborg don't even think u can get any wine on a Sunday .. snif sniff .. apart from normandy wine warehouse all the others are closed including Auchan and all big shops.
    Right on.

France has retained Sunday as a 'family day' and a day of rest, as the Man above said it should be.

Will somebody remind me why we threw ours out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Right on.

France has retained Sunday as a 'family day' and a day of rest, as the Man above said it should be.

Will somebody remind me why we threw ours out :(

While inconvenient the first time you go to the supermarket in France on a Sunday, it becomes a very impressive example of the respect for workers and their families and long may it continue.

The dawn of the Celtic Tiger and the rush to place money for hungry retailers at the very top of the political agenda.
    It probably was a result of the cosy cartel that was the irish grocery trade, with the the approval of the government of the day.

Maybe the labour party will help our low paid workers who are forced to work on Sundays to make a' lifestyle choice' and spend Sundays with their families and introduce legislation to make that happen.

prob have to check with the 'troika' first though

Allez les Bleus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Don't blame the retailers. There are plenty of Consumers availing of Sunday shopping.

I do recall Cherbourg being dead on a Sunday. I am sure that is not the case with Roscoff though.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Don't blame the retailers. There are plenty of Consumers availing of Sunday shopping.

So when people buy illegal drugs we cant blame the dealer Or when people drink too much alcohol in a pub we cant blame the publican.

then if people avail of something then its the peoples fault

Anyway, in France, thank somebody who made it happen, supermarkets close on a Sunday so plan your wine puchases accordingly.

dont forget to have your ice packs frozen before you go so you can put them in the fridge to keep things cool when your on the ferry,avoid opening the fridge when you power off after getting on the boat lets all the could air out .

ya got caught with the Sunday closing a few times ok but once you get use to it you can work around it ,have to agree i think the French got it right on this one

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Haven't had one of theses for a while,as we are ramping up for our tip to France ,here are a few of my dos and donts for traveling in Europe in no particular order feel free to add your own

do not over plan if you spend your time rushing from place to place you can miss so much

do use the aries it is wild camping but not as we irish know it but also do use the sites as well especially if you have kids they put the irish sites to shame

do use a map sat navs are super but they do bring you on some funny trips some times also if you read the map you get a better feel for the area

do not use motorways ,unless you have a long distance to cover stay off the motorway they are expensive and one motorway looks pretty much like another

do not stay more than 3 days in the same place, thats why you bought a motorhome !

do keep a few notes in a little black book it can come in so handy when you revist a area ( mine was i little blue book and i left it in the last van i sold if the new owner is on er can i have it back please)

that should get the ball rolling

Do try to use proper grammar and punctuation when adding a post to this thread!

jayteecork wrote: »
    ha ha ;) its like being back at school sorry sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Sir

The participants in this thread value the contribution made killalanerr, His tips are of value to some who are heading to France.

You are obviously trolling and are attempting to ruin a rather informative post.

I have reported your post to the mods.

Regards

dfbemt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Leave the schoolmastering to the mods please, thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

dfbemt wrote: »
    Sir

The participants in this thread value the contribution made killalanerr, His tips are of value to some who are heading to France.

You are obviously trolling and are attempting to ruin a rather informative post.

I have reported your post to the mods.

Regards

dfbemt

Lighten up mate, life is too short. I was obviously only having a bit of a laugh and the OP agreed.

SARZY wrote: »

So when people buy illegal drugs we cant blame the dealer Or when people drink too much alcohol in a pub we cant blame the publican.

then if people avail of something then its the peoples fault

Anyway, in France, thank somebody who made it happen, supermarkets close on a Sunday so plan your wine puchases accordingly.
    No you cant. Everyone has their own mind. Thanks France for not opening your shops on a Sunday and saving us all from shopping.

No you cant. Everyone has their own mind. Thanks France for not opening your shops on a Sunday and saving us all from shopping.

Yes you can and must and if you leave people to follow their own mind we can all forget about everthing.

France is far from perfect but this is one thing they get right.

One other thing about going to France is remember to bring the vehicle registration document, log book.

Yes you can and must and if you leave people to follow their own mind we can all forget about everthing.

France is far from perfect but this is one thing they get right.

One other thing about going to France is remember to bring the vehicle registration document, log book.
    I will stick to using my mind. You can do what you like. Let's agree to disagree.

I will stick to using my mind. You can do what you like. Let's agree to disagree.

AGREED.

Seems we were in Salthill at the same time recently. We could have a right good
    chat about the worlds rights and wrongs.
    And after a few bottles we prob would agree about everything.

Cheers.

Seems we were in Salthill at the same time recently. We could have a right good
    chat about the worlds rights and wrongs.
    And after a few bottles we prob would agree about everything.

Cheers.
    No doubt we would. We would have solved a few of them while we were at it too!!! :)

I do recall Cherbourg being dead on a Sunday. I am sure that is not the case with Roscoff though.

:confused:
    Why the difference, if Roscoff is not 'dead', as regards retail shopping on Sunday it's fairly out on its own.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    Why the difference, if Roscoff is not 'dead', as regards retail shopping on Sunday it's fairly out on its own.

More in relation to wine shopping it is not dead as there seems to be a lot of wine shops in the vicinity of the port that cater for people going to and coming from the ferry.

Advertisement