Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Journalism

Options
  • 16-06-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

My friend has an interview for this course in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if anyone out there has done this already and wondering what questions might be asked.

Many thanks and best wishes!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hey,

Just completed (well, still have the Dissertation to do. Yay!)

News items that have interested you - be able to go into detail.
    What are your areas of interest / what would you like to pursue. I mentioned technology so I was asked about Apple and the iPad (will it be a saviour).
    You also have to write a story from a press release.

Can't remember a lot now but I think those were the main aspects. Just have an idea of what's going on, and anyone that you admire. They take from a range of backgrounds and interests.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Thanks a million Sabre, and well done on getting to the end of it.
    Great info here!!
    Were there many on the course?
    Also, re the written piece...did they (big panel?) ask you to do it then and there?
    Did you get to see the other candidates?
    (Sorry for all the qs...must get him to sign up on the boards):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hey,

I interviewed for this last year and was offered a place but I managed to find work so I passed up on the offer. I was gutted but glad to be working!

Regarding the written piece, I was given a press release and told to write an article (I think it was 500 words and you had 20 or 30 minutes) there and then. I got quite flustered during this as I had to use a Mac which I'd never used before and I couldn't figure out how to do anything like formatting. I know it's a stupid thing but it really threw me!!

In the interview they asked me about my experience and about specific pieces of my portfolio. They also asked me about recent news stories that interested me and what my opinion was on them. I think they asked me why I wanted to do the course as well. Then they gave me examples of potential stories and asked me what I would do in that situation, i.e., they told me to imagine I was a journalist and I found out a politician who preached about having good family values was having an affair. What would I do in that situation and why?

This was last year though so the interview process might have changed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ah yes, I remember the question about the politician now :D

Written piece is summed up nicely by ergonomics. Have about 30 mins, lengthy enough press release so just stay calm and pick out the most relevant information. I also had to use a Mac - and had to hand it to supervisor to save it for me! This could be before or after interview. It was before for me. Didn't meet panel - just one of them and then was sent to a room with supervisor.

I saw one girl leave the written portion and go into interview room - then I went in to do press release. As i was coming out, my friend was waiting to start his interview.

16 on the course this year. Small enough class but helps in terms of interactiveness. Note though: You have to get a 2.1 in semester to do the Masters. Otherwise it's a Grad Dip. This still involves writing a proposal and an extended proposal for the overall thesis (and costs just as much). So put a bit of work in.

Side note: Congrats on the job front ergonomics. Enjoyed it? How did you find the working world?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm just finished this too, the best advice I can give for the interview is to be very aware of the news in the weeks beforehand. It's not too pressurised anyway.
    ergonomics wrote: »
    I had to use a Mac which I'd never used before and I couldn't figure out how to do anything like formatting. I know it's a stupid thing but it really threw me!!

This threw me a bit too, but they were only interested in the copy you wrote.

The interview panel is going to be a bit different this year, so they may decide to change things a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Side note: Congrats on the job front ergonomics. Enjoyed it? How did you find the working world?

Thanks! Coming up on a year in the job now and I'm loving it. So thankful to be employed and to employed in a job I adore too. Would still love to go back and do a Masters at some point but I'm thinking about Tech Writing now cause that's what I'm working in!

Advertisement