Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Smart - Android - €40 (+ €22.50 cashback till June 27th)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Has any one unlocked it yet thinking of geting it and unlocking it just to have a spare sim free phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Has any one unlocked it yet thinking of geting it and unlocking it just to have a spare sim free phone.

Yes a few of us did unlock it, instructions on earlier post but quoted below, cost is €10, not aware of free unlock option
    I got this unlocked today.

It costs €10, and is pretty easy.

Download this application

Buy 10 credits (my password got put in my spam folder on gmail BTW)

Plug the battery out of the phone.

Plug it back in (sometimes it turns on automatically, if it does just plug it out and in agian)

Power it up by holding the power button and the volume down button, keep them held down for like 20-30 seconds. The Egg timer should stay on screen

Plug it into your PC.

Follow the instructions here

Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I used recovery manager instead . ClockworkMod didn't work for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I presume I did. If you can't find it drop me a PM and I can mail it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

They are giving them out free for vodafone at home customers up to three per household. Mine is on the way.

Has anyone overclocked it, looks like you can go over 700MHz and still be stable.

Just got a phone call from them they were ridiculously fast and efficient so I am thinking they have contracted this out to a call center. I assume if you ring them up they'll let you know.

• Advertisement

I think people with paper billing got a voucher, so the may only be calling people with online billing.

I asked were there any other phones they could send and they said ho hum I suppose you could have the nokia C3 or samsung tocco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Free phones????????

Free phones????????

Whatever will they think of next Ted!?

Well my bills on vodafone prepay were always at least twice what they are on three prepay so that way I wouldn't call it free. I plan to use it solely on wifi for email notification for work and web browsing while waiting for pesky kids to go to sleep so it seems like a bargain alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can anyone else confirm they were offered the phone for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have to say I'm quite surprised by this, only ordered yesterday around midday and I already have the phone:eek:

first impression are that I am pleasantly surprised, although the screen resolution and colour aren't great it is a lot more responsive then I thought it would be and very lit lag from going from screen to screen. so for the money I paid (€40 with 20 back) it is well worth the money!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

have to say I'm quite surprised by this, only ordered yesterday around midday and I already have the phone:eek:

first impression are that I am pleasantly surprised, although the screen resolution and colour aren't great it is a lot more responsive then I thought it would be and very lit lag from going from screen to screen. so for the money I paid (€40 with 20 back) it is well worth the money!!!

Same ...ordered yesterday and delivered this morning. I'll have a go at unlocking it later. Does anyone know if Cyanogenmod can be flashed onto this handset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Nforce wrote: »
    Same ...ordered yesterday and delivered this morning. I'll have a go at unlocking it later. Does anyone know if Cyanogenmod can be flashed onto this handset?

No, not yet afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Got one of these to play with too :D

All things considered, pleasantly surprised for the money. Am using Launcher Pro (from Android Market) instead of supplied launcher and it feels quite snappy. Thanks again to OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So If I have Vodafone broadband and I ring them up they'll give me this phone for free?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I've rang Vodafone about this as I am an at home broadband customer and was told no it's not free. The only chance of getting 1 for free would be if an outbound sales team rang me with the offer. There has been some people selected and gotten the phone for free but only when a sales group within vodafone rang them.

Apparently they make a few calls a week with certain offers like this. The lad today told me it was not restricted to broadband users, once you are a vodafone customer you could be called but it's up to the discretion of the sales team who they call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yawns wrote: »

Apparently they make a few calls a week with certain offers like this. The lad today told me it was not restricted to broadband users, once you are a vodafone customer you could be called but it's up to the discretion of the sales team who they call.
    I've had 2 missed calls off Vodafone today.:(
    My phones my phones give them to me !

Anyone having hassle with the DC Unlocker software? I was getting network access errors, uninstalled the winpcap drivers as mentioned in their forums, and now am getting "access denied" possibly due to my IP being blocked.:mad:

Edit: Switched to my desktop and everything worked out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

This may be a silly question but...
    (Haven't owned a smartphone yet, old phone just died!)

When using this device as a GPS, do you have to use your download allowance (currently 69c for 50MB on Meteor PAYG I think)?

Is there a way to pre-load a route onto it, so you could leave a WiFi area and not be charged for data usage while on a GPS-guided trip?

Yawns wrote: »
    I've rang Vodafone about this as I am an at home broadband customer and was told no it's not free. The only chance of getting 1 for free would be if an outbound sales team rang me with the offer. There has been some people selected and gotten the phone for free but only when a sales group within vodafone rang them.

I've ignored a call from Vodafone all week, thinking they were trying to flog me some package. Little did I know they could have been trying to give me a free phone :( They better ring back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you text freenet to 50222 and then top up by 20 euro a month you get free mobile internets too. I think it works until september. After that its 30 euro for the free calls and texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

never had a touch screen or smart phone and this is soo tempting to play around with.

Would my ordinary Nokia 6300 Tesco sim card work in this if I unlocked it.

Would I be automatically put on a higher price plan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciaran_

If you text freenet to 50222 and then top up by 20 euro a month you get free mobile internets too. I think it works until september. After that its 30 euro for the free calls and texts.

does this include blackberrys? or are they charged differently?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ciaran_ wrote: »
    does this include blackberrys? or are they charged differently?

Dunno mate.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/summer-top-up-offer/
    I wouldnt bother trying to do it through their site as it is one of the most useless sites on the internet.
    Remember when every 14 year old had a site from geocities?
    Vodafone hired those people to do their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciaran_

Yea their site is a disaster alright! Sent them an email so hopefully can get an answer off them pretty soon.

• Advertisement

I ordered a second handset today for my son. The transaction came up on my Fatcheese account yet the previous order hadn't? I've submitted a claim,just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Had loads of hassle trying to use the dc unlocker. found some drivers that are needed and just wouldnt install. anyone have any problems pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Having problem receiving mms messages on O2, even wIth right apn settings. Might try a different rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

So can anyone confirm if this phone can be unlocked? Im on emobile and quite happy but would like an Android phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bombidol wrote: »
    So can anyone confirm if this phone can be unlocked? Im on emobile and quite happy but would like an Android phone.

mentioned a few times, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72846072#post72846072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Indeed, it was mentioned a few times that it can be unlocked, also few people had problems unlocking it, so it seems it's a case of hit-and-miss. Anyway, I ordered one as well and will have to unlock it as I'm on O2. Will report back on Monday or Tuesday.

I reckon what the problem is, if you dont have the drivers * despite you installing drivers from the phone, thats what the problem is. took me ages to find the drivers and will do my best to post here.
    once I had the drivers for it, and credit in the dc-unlocker it worked perfectly. unlocked and using either my free o2 sim card or my free tescos sim mobile * another freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Anyone use it a call yet? On mine the earpiece speaker sounds like its vibrating when there's any sound, even on the lowest volume setting. On loudspeaker its fine. Maybe its a dud and needs to go back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Lads....what is the ROCK BOTTOM lowest price for a 2GB micro SD?....the 1GB included is just too damn small....any help please?

• Advertisement

took a phone call from the wife and we were both in different rooms in the house. no problems with the sound either to talk or to listen. must be just your phone

RD check out adverts. you might see them there, or you could try amazon, or mymemory.
    could be around 7-10 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Dman001 wrote: »
    Can anyone else confirm they were offered the phone for free?

The OH was contacted by Vodafone on Tuesday (both Meteor PAYG) and they offered us both these phones free to switch back to Vodafone, needless to say we are expecting them in the post on Tuesday :)

They did say to me that if you port your number out of the network before 12 months they'll ask for the phone back. So if people are thinking of porting over and straight back for a free phone it probably won't work out.

So they are only offering the phone on the condition you port?? Ah, no thanks Vodafone so.

Dman001 wrote: »
    So they are only offering the phone on the condition you port?? Ah, no thanks Vodafone so.
    You can always port a free o2 sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Lads....what is the ROCK BOTTOM lowest price for a 2GB micro SD?....the 1GB included is just too damn small....any help please?
    Memoryc have a couple that are around 6 euros: http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/sdsecuredigital.html#Type=microSD&page=0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

not usually renowned for their amazing prices, maplins have a 4gb microsd for 12 euro, which isn't the worst for a bricks and mortar store, picked one up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Try BlahDVD. Shipping is fairly quick and is usually only around €1.60. Some pretty good deals there and class 2 is fine for something like a phone.

For anyone worried about going over their data allowance there is an app called 3g watchdog. it will allow you to set it up so it keeps an eye on your internet usage. you can put in the day, week or month afaik. I use it for my monthly allowance and havent got near enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

www.mymemory.co.uk have 2GB Micro SD cards €3.53 and 4GB ones for €5.31. Delivery is €2.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Bought this for my daughter but not having any luck unlocking it. I followed the instructions posted earlier but device manager is not recognising it, so I'm stuck there. I remember a similar problem with the ZTE Blade and AFAIR it had to do with USB drivers. There is an option to download Windows7 drivers on the DC unlocker site but when I click they don't download or at least my PC can't find them. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement