Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router?

• 16-06-2011 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

So im Gonig buying a router next week hopefully. and im looking in currys cause its the local and easier no hassle

Two routers picked out
    heres the first
    Can you tell me is this an extender router. (basically can i plug this into another router and work or does it require the Telephone line)

Heres the 2nd

Is that a Telephone line required router. I want to replace my Eircom ZyXEL router as it is a heap of ****e and im trying to run 2 tvs(incl: PS) 3 laptops and 1 Desktop. The ZyXEL cant support it with out overheating and putting the Red light on. I have only the desktop, 1 tv and 1 router hooked directly upto the ZyXEL. as you can tell i want to replace the TV with a extending router. where the tv will connect to that.

Yes i have a big network on one tiny router. I dont blame it for crashing every few mins. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

The second router's the one one you want.Got sick and tired of my zyxel router and upgraded to a netgear router.have 2 laptops a pc an xbox 360 and a ps3 running off it and have had no problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi lads,

Dont mean to hijack the thread but looking for some advice. Basically have an eircom netopia router, but having alot of problems with it allowing a homegroup through win7, and allowing streaming on the xbox. So I thought I'd replace it with a better piece of kit. Unfortunately when i click on the second link in the OP the item is gone. Have ye any other makes and models that any of ye would recommend?

Think I'll need a modem and router in one right?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Dont mean to hijack the thread but looking for some advice. Basically have an eircom netopia router, but having alot of problems with it allowing a homegroup through win7, and allowing streaming on the xbox. So I thought I'd replace it with a better piece of kit. Unfortunately when i click on the second link in the OP the item is gone. Have ye any other makes and models that any of ye would recommend?

Think I'll need a modem and router in one right?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255148/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

I've installed this modem/router for someone and it seems to work very well, This ones cheaper if you don't need Wireless N connectivity:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255100/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255148/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

I've installed this modem/router for someone and it seems to work very well, This ones cheaper if you don't need Wireless N connectivity:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255100/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm

Nick

Cheers Nick. That looks the job, and cheaper than I expected also. Is it easy enough to set up etc? I'd consider myself very tech friendly bet the netopia router has me lost, just seems no sense to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

budhabob wrote: »
    Cheers Nick. That looks the job, and cheaper than I expected also. Is it easy enough to set up etc? I'd consider myself very tech friendly bet the netopia router has me lost, just seems no sense to it.

Very easy, the settings below will work I'm assuming your with Eircom so these will work:
    Username :

eircom@eircom.net

Password:

broadband1

Encapsulation:

PPPoE

Multiplexing:

LLC Based

VPI:

VCI:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:

I reccomend you use the Google DNS servers in bold, if not the striked out figures are Eircoms own

(Excuse the poor formatting, unfortunately cant link to Eircoms page as it only lasts a short session)

Nick

• Advertisement

Excellent,looks like I'll be making a purchase over the weekend.

Advertisement