Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    been away, just calling in.

i hope nobody is panicking after the weekend.

i've had a few onto me "very worried" about Liverpool this year.

no need.

fitness was the issue, pure and simple. which is worrying, but easily rectified.

my only concern is the resorting to long balls to Carroll. he's not brilliant at dealing with them well, and it should only be used as a last resort. he's a monster at attacking the ball in the air, and that needs to be our primary concern. that is how he will scare the bejaysus out of all and sundry.

Henderson got a lot of undeserved stick i felt. it's plain to see he's not really a RM, and it'll take time for him to be moulded into a top class CM, or AM, whatever happens. him and Kuyt vying for RW for now is ok by me.

Enrique looks a quality buy, even just from those 90 minutes, and if we'd not had the naivety of Flanagan at RB, i reckon we'd have held out for 1-0. he'll learn though.

now...where's that new CB we need...

Pretty sure he played as a RM for a good chunk of last season. I think I remember Paully D posting a few times about how well Henderson played in that position for Sunderland.

But agree that it had to be a tough game for him, seeing as it was against his old club. He made mistakes in my eyes, but it is too early to judge a young player like him, especially as he has performed to a decent level over the course of all of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its funny people keeping talking about Henderson being played out of position yet the guy who would know more about him than anyone here thinks that is how we will get the best out of him.
    Paully D wrote:
    Henderson - My opinion on Jordan is well documented. I was gutted when he left, but looking back on it the deal made sense for all parties. He got his move to a big club, we got a fair price and in turn were able to rebuild our squad with the money. I don't think we'd have been able to sign half the players we have without that cash. Play him on the right in the ''Dirk Kuyt'' role and he'll be a star, play him centrally and you won't see the best of him. That's been my opinion from day one. I really hope he makes it though, he's a cracking lad, a boyhood Sunderland fan and deserves all the success in the world.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think Henderson can play RW. Sunderland fans rave about him in that position.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Fair enough, so why not play Kuty?
    Kind of felt like when managers like to play with all their new toys at once. All four new signings in the side and also Flanagan who hasn't many games under his belt. Would prefer if he had introduced fewer of them at the same time.
    Was Kelly unfit?

The flip side of that is if Downing's crossbar hit had gone in, and if one of Adam's long ranger went in, we could have gone in at half time two or three goals up, and most likely would have gone on to a comfortable win with Kenny being praised for playing all the new boys.

The width of the crossbar (and maybe the peno miss) was the difference between Kenny being a genius for his selections and Kenny not getting it quite right.

Personally I was happy with the team selection before the game started, so I cannot slag Kenny for it afterwards. Sure I can say things in hindsight like maybe Henderson should have been subbed earlier, or Meireles could have been brought on for Adam, but as selections go, I don't think Kenny got it wrong. That first half performance had a lot of us smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

RasTa wrote: »
    Booked, my only terms are that goals are counted from when Sturridge's 3 game ban is up.

So any goals Carroll scores in the next 2 games are invalid.

Deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i didn't say Henderson can't play RW.

i just don't think, ultimately, that will be his position.

we should've played Kuyt, and i was shocked we didn't start with him.

i'm definitely giving Henderson the benefit of the doubt for a long while to come yet.

young players need to be nurtured and we need to be patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    been away, just calling in.

i hope nobody is panicking after the weekend.

i've had a few onto me "very worried" about Liverpool this year.

no need.

fitness was the issue, pure and simple. which is worrying, but easily rectified.

my only concern is the resorting to long balls to Carroll. he's not brilliant at dealing with them well, and it should only be used as a last resort. he's a monster at attacking the ball in the air, and that needs to be our primary concern. that is how he will scare the bejaysus out of all and sundry.

Henderson got a lot of undeserved stick i felt. it's plain to see he's not really a RM, and it'll take time for him to be moulded into a top class CM, or AM, whatever happens. him and Kuyt vying for RW for now is ok by me.

Enrique looks a quality buy, even just from those 90 minutes, and if we'd not had the naivety of Flanagan at RB, i reckon we'd have held out for 1-0. he'll learn though.

now...where's that new CB we need...

If hes not really a RM then it begs the question, why didnt we buy a RM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Henderson was miles better for us in pre season when he played central. He played central away at Chelsea last year when Sunderland won there and bossed it largely. He played central for the u21's aswel.

Perhaps the comparisons to Gerrard are that we seem to think we can stick midfielders wide and they will do a job. Yea, they will but in the majority it wont be wide play, (it will be tucking in), which this team has cried out for for many years and why Downing walks through the door and looks good.

Henderson will need time, Lucas got plenty of it before he did anything resembling a decent game.

Tusky wrote: »
    If hes not really a RM then it begs the question, why didnt we buy a RM ?

We did, thats where Downing excelled last year. And obviously where that great run and shot came from on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithijjj wrote: »
    We did, thats where Downing excelled last year. And obviously where that great run and shot came from on Saturday.

Exactly, hence the price tag and why we matched it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Djourou off after 10 mins - after being subbed on at half time. They are fairly depleted now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Djourou off after 10 mins - after being subbed on at half time. They are fairly depleted now.

and he was playing very well, never going to be a better time to play Arsenal I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Gibbs is injured too so they have 5 fit defenders, 1 who they class as a liability and 1 who is 21 and making his debut atm.

G.K. wrote: »
    Gibbs is injured too so they have 5 fit defenders, 1 who they class as a liability and 1 who is 21 and making his debut atm.

Already backed us at 12/5 yesterday. I expect us to be around 15/8 before kick off.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

opr wrote: »
    Already backed us at 12/5 yesterday. I expect us to be around 15/8 before kick off.

Opr
    I thought you said you don't gamble? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

tell ya what lads...

thats a arsenal team ripe for a beating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Nah Arsenal still have the superior team imo. I'll take the draw if i was offered right now.

We got played off the park for large spells at Emirates last time. The only thing i can say is that if there is a time to go there, no better time than this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nah Arsenal still have the superior team imo. I'll take the draw if i was offered right now.

Last week I would have been happy with a draw. After seeing them at Newcastle and being simply all over the place tonight against a team still in pre season training and a host of injuries, I'll be looking for a win, a bit diasppointed with a draw and utterly disgusted with a loss. Looking forward big time to the match now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

can i have some of whatever your taking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Utterly disgusted with a loss? Away? To Arsenal? Seemingly irregardless of how they play on the day?

Some people need to get a grip of themselves.

A win would be a great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

opr wrote: »
    We really can't ask for much more in the lead up to this game.
    LFCGlobe LFC Globe

#LFC will face an Arsenal side with only three days of rest and without Gervinho, Song, Wilshere, Diaby, Eboue, Nasri and Fabregas.
    Opr

Well, ye got more didn't ye:p

Djourou and Gibbs out. Jeez, you'd kind of feel sorry for Arsenal wouldn't ya?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*rubs hands*

Of course if Liverpool don't win there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

mike65 wrote: »
    *rubs hands*

Of course if Liverpool don't win there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I would see a win at Arsenal as a big result. Even without their missing players, they have a bloody good team. But I do now feel that we have a better chance of getting a win there next weekend than than I have before most of our other trips to the Emirates.

Coming away from there with any points is a good result in my eyes. But if we go at them like we went at Sunderland in the first half, well we could get a very happy visit to London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its actually the worst possible scenario for Liverpool in a way, going to the away ground of one of the best teams in the PL but with huge expectation of getting a positive result. If they win, people won't be surprised, if they lose or draw there'll be a silly over reaction. Even with all the injuries they'll still be able to field a front three or Arshavin, RVP and Gervinho which will definitely be a handful for any defence.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Utterly disgusted with a loss? Away? To Arsenal? Seemingly irregardless of how they play on the day?

Some people need to get a grip of themselves.

A win would be a great result.

Of course not irregardless of how they - or us - play on the day. But after seeing them tonight I would be disgusted to lose to them.
    And of course a win would be a great result - irregardless of how they or us play on the day.

We haven't won away to Arsenal since 2000.

It's become my most hated fixture over the years, simply because of our shíte record there tbh. We've taken some of our heaviest beatings there, especially when Henry was playing.

A draw there is always a very good result and would be on Sunday.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its actually the worst possible scenario for Liverpool in a way, going to the away ground of one of the best teams in the PL but with huge expectation of getting a positive result. If they win, people won't be surprised, if they lose or draw there'll be a silly over reaction. Even with all the injuries they'll still be able to field a front three or Arshavin, RVP and Gervinho which will definitely be a handful for any defence.

If Liverpool win it will be a suprise.

Plus I'm not expecting too much tbh, a draw at best.

Gervinho is suspended although I'd agree with your point. Liverpool of course have a greater chance now but personally I can't look past Arsenal as favorites.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Liverpool win it will be a suprise.

Plus I'm not expecting too much tbh, a draw at best.

To the sensible supporters it will be a surpsise, to the more exciteable types that form the majority of your support base it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Gervinho's suspended, isn't he? RVP's the one to worry about, but we'll be causing a few problems ourself. Big problems in midfield and defense for Arsenal.

Do ye expect the team that started at the weekend to start again? Maybe Kuyt for Henderson and Kelly for Flanagan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Would be a small bit concerned about the pace Arsenal have up front versus the likes of Carragher at the back. If Van Persie or Walcott get a run on him, he's curtains.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny start with 3 centre backs like we saw on occasion last season.

Blatter wrote: »
    Do ye expect the team that started at the weekend to start again? Maybe Kuyt for Henderson and Kelly for Flanagan?

Yep Kuyt for Henderson and Johnson or Kelly for Flanagan sounds about right to me.

The squad will have had a full week to rest and train, so everyone should be fresh.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Aquilani may get a game instead of Adam as I think playing Arsenal would suit him to a tee with his quick passing and movement giving the Liverpool attack another dimension against an Arsenal defence that may be expecting a somewhat more direct threat. He would also be very good for ball retention against a passing team like Arsenal.

Blatter wrote: »

I'd expect Kuyt to come in.

I'd like to see Kelly in but Kuyt on the right wing would provide more cover for Flanagan should he be picked again.

My preference would be for Kelly as he's obviously more experienced.

Kuyt = big game player.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

To the sensible supporters it will be a surpsise, to the more exciteable types that form the majority of your support base it won't.

hmmm

have you done a worldwide poll of liverpool fans and somehow managed to deliver a survey that can quantify within the limited parameters of a survey what constitutes an "exciteable" fan? or perhaps you are just talking garbage about pool fans again

perhaps they are "exciteable" around you because you stimulate that response, have you considered that - a simple case of cause and effect.

the sky generation, instant gratification, every game is a must win, and a player is a waste of space/superstar after one game type mentality has inflicted all fanbases - to specify liverpool fans as being "exciteable" and to imply that the majority are delusional is utter partizan nonsense, only an "exciteable" football supporter would make such a groundless outlandish charge

Kuyt should start, Flanagan or Kelly would prefer to have him outide him. Aquilani will hopefully start, if he doesn't feature in the squad again, I would be thinking we won't see him at all and that a deal is nearly done somewhere for him, which would be a pity.

Riena
    Kelly---Carra--Agger---Enrique
    Lucas
    Adam
    Kuyt
    Saurez
    Downing
    Carroll

Subs Doni, Flanagan, Soto, Shelvey, Merieles/Aquilani, Henderson, Maxi,

Hopefully Dann or Cahill or An Other solid central defender will be signed so can be on the bench at least.

donfers wrote: »
    hmmm

have you done a worldwide poll of liverpool fans and somehow managed to deliver a survey that can quantify within the limited parameters of a survey what constitutes an "exciteable" fan? or perhaps you are just talking garbage about pool fans again

perhaps they are "exciteable" around you because you stimulate that response, have you considered that - a simple case of cause and effect.

the sky generation, instant gratification, every game is a must win, and a player is a waste of space/superstar after one game type mentality has inflicted all fanbases - to specify liverpool fans as being "exciteable" and to imply that the majority are delusional is utter partizan nonsense, only an "exciteable" football supporter would make such a groundless outlandish charge

I have heard some of the more sensible Liverpool fans say much the same in my time too, in fact I've heard it said by some of the posters I respect most in this very thread.

I hold the opinion that the majority of United fans are complete apes too if it helps you accept my opinion any better. Indeed as you say all football fans. It semed pertinent to refer to Liverpool fans though in a conversation specifically about the expectations of Liverpool fans.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep Kuyt for Henderson and Johnson or Kelly for Flanagan sounds about right to me.

The squad will have had a full week to rest and train, so everyone should be fresh.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Aquilani may get a game instead of Adam as I think playing Arsenal would suit him to a tee with his quick passing and movement giving the Liverpool attack another dimension against an Arsenal defence that may be expecting a somewhat more direct threat. He would also be very good for ball retention against a passing team like Arsenal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mereiles beside Lucas. We had Spearing last season but we didn't have much going forward.

Kuyt has to be a nailed starter.

3 CB's is an option if Skrtel is fit, not sure how far on he is.

I just don't see where Aquilani fits into these any formations, he isn't good enough for CM, AM yes, but Suarez kind of fills that role.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

donfers wrote: »
    hmmm

Maybe when he says exciteable he means they have spastic over-reactions? I'm sure you can thing of few people who are like that...

I hold the opinion that the majority of United fans are complete apes too if it helps you accept my opinion any better.

Wanna hear my opinion on ex Waterford residents? :pac:

Hell I might even have one on auld bast*rds who currently live in Waterford and who may or may not be of Waterford stock :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

I hold the opinion that the majority of United fans are complete apes

Sounds about right. I think you should go on the Man Utd thread and tell them that.:pac:

Sounds about right. I think you should go on the Man Utd thread and tell them that.:pac:

They're sick of me telling them.:pac:

I have heard some of the more sensible Liverpool fans say much the same in my time too, in fact I've heard it said by some of the posters I respect most in this very thread.

I hold the opinion that the majority of United fans are complete apes too if it helps you accept my opinion any better. Indeed as you say all football fans. It semed pertinent to refer to Liverpool fans though in a conversation specifically about the expectations of Liverpool fans.

Our lot can be over dramatic, I'd say United are worse because they've been spoilt, usually caught saying the end of the world is nigh pre Christmas and waxing lyrically in the season run in.

All you have to look at is comments about Henderson and Adam on this thread and match threads. Football fans are a schizophrenic lot. After 30 minutes, brilliant, at the end of the match, average!

Chris Bascombe is to become the new merseyside footie reporter for the telegraph.

The move see Rory Smith moving to cover the midlands instead.

Chris Bascombe, one of the sports desk casualties of the sudden closure of the News of the World, is in line to become Merseyside football reporter for the Daily Telegraph, with incumbent Rory Smith earmarked for a switch to the Midlands.

Self-confessed Liverpool fan Bascombe joined the NotW four years ago from the Liverpool Echo, where he had been named north-west sportswriter of the year for five successive years. He also ghost-wrote Jamie Carragher’s autobiography.

But with the post-Hillsborough disaster, Liverpool-wide boycott of The Sun still in force, Bascombe’s transfer from the Echo to what was the country’s biggest selling Sunday caused anger among some Anfield fans, who seemed to have a problem differentiating between the News of the World and its daily stablemate.

Bascombe, on 90-day gardening leave from Wapping, has consistently broken more stories on the Mersey beat than any other journalist – a feat which has not escaped the notice of the Telegraph as they seek to beef up their coverage in an area where they are already strong: football correspondent Henry Winter ghosted Kenny Dalglish’s autobiography and has remained close to the Liverpool hero.

The Telegraph is relocating Smith to the Midlands following the departure of Sandy Macaskill several weeks ago. Macaskill chose to leave after it was indicated to him that he would not be offered a new contract when his current agreement expired in the summer.

Smith is a former graduate trainee with Mirror Newspapers, who will now be responsible for four Premier League clubs – Aston Villa, West Brom, Wolves and Stoke.

Have to say Rory did seem a little behind the curve in terms of Liverpool stories this summer.

Opr

Heh, no doubt he'll still be persona non-grata over at RAWK

Hmmmmmm, I think I'll continue following Rory, found him good. Not many stories but pretty reliable.

The Telegraph is a terrible paper, the sports stuff saves it!

Liverpool Echo seems to be quite the academy for up and coming journalists though.

mike65 wrote: »
    Heh, no doubt he'll still be persona non-grata over at RAWK

He is still that with a lot of locals let alone in the bastion of contemplation and tolerance that is RAWK. :D

I was tempted to call it a mecca but some wag might have said that the english translation of the proper name of that city would suit the journo in question. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Defour to Porto for 6 million? Is that right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement