Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'd prefer a striker to a defender tbh.

I think our CB options are strong enough to get top 4.

I think the four senior CBs that are at the club have shown over the past two seasons that as a foursome they cannot be relied upon for a full season be it through injuries, form, or declining physically.

On paper the four look good enough, but unfortunately they have worked better in theory as a unit over the last couple of seasons than in practise.

Agger is probably the best centre back we have right now in terms of his overall game but his injury issues put a big question mark over his reliability.

Carragher would be the second best CB at the club right now in my eyes, but he is on the wane and has been for a few seasons and he seems to need more rest time nowadays to put in the big performances that he is still capable off if he is not overly used.

Skrtel I think has not improved at the rate many expected him to , and as he has gotten older and more experienced, he has not shown signs that his reading of the game has improved an awful lot and he is probably the CB at the club that makes the most rash decisions. At his age he should be looking to be better than the older Carragher at this point, but I think Carragher is still miles better than Skrtel at this point and that Skrtel will not ever be as good as the current version of Carragher let alone be as good as Carragher was at his peak.

Soto I am not as critical of as he is the fourth choice CB and he is pretty much at the level he should be in terms of squad placing and usage.. He is capable of good performances as long as he is used sparingly, and he is the only CB we have that is dominant in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    At least this year he won't have the travelling and game time of European games, so any little niggle will hopefully have time enough to heal. Same can be said for Suarez as the constant 'off season' football is bound to catch up with him. I can only presume the pair of them ( in particular)won't be near the team sheet for the cups - unless we are really up against a top team perhaps.

I would've thought that with no European football the cups would be something Liverpool would be putting out a strong team for, no?

Maybe in the latter stages if they get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd prefer a striker to a defender tbh.

I think our CB options are strong enough to get top 4.

Even if N'Gog leaves: Caroll, Suarez, Kuyt - with Gerrard, Meireles, Maxi and Aquilani able to play in the hole is significantly stronger than Carra, Agger, Skrtel and Soto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are short of two players, a CB (nearly sorted I feel) and a striker, N'Goal is off to Bolton one way or another and I'll bet that some Ligue 1 lightweight will replace him. Really missed a trick with Shane Long I feel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PTO wrote: »
    I would've thought that with no European football the cups would be something Liverpool would be putting out a strong team for, no?

Maybe in the latter stages if they get there

I think we have enough fringe players and up and coming youngsters to field a fairly solid cup team - with a few first 11 players maybe and a few on the bench to come on if needed. Number one priority for me and I would imagine most - if not all - pool fans is a top 4 finish first and foremost. A good run in the cups would be great but not at the expense of league position. Top 4 finish and a good run in the cups would be the near perfect season IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool are short of two players, a CB (nearly sorted I feel) and a striker, N'Goal is off to Bolton one way or another and I'll bet that some Ligue 1 lightweight will replace him. Really missed a trick with Shane Long I feel.

He would have been a good option to have on the bench.
    N'Goal or Long coming off the bench - I would think Long could make more of a difference than N'Goal, a pity we didn't get him, unless we have someone better lined up - doubt it, but hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Yeah real pity about not putting in a bid for Long as a back up when N'Gog is sold. Think we need a centre back before we need another front man.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think we have enough fringe players and up and coming youngsters to field a fairly solid cup team - with a few first 11 players maybe and a few on the bench to come on if needed. Number one priority for me and I would imagine most - if not all - pool fans is a top 4 finish first and foremost. A good run in the cups would be great but not at the expense of league position. Top 4 finish and a good run in the cups would be the near perfect season IMHO.

Yea definately agree on 4th being the priority but I'd even push for a real challenge for the FA cup. Even just so as Arsenal syndrome doesnt kick in with the lack of silverware! Going into 2012/13 with a bit of silverware and a champions league place under our belt would do wonders for us! But yea, I agree, 4th is a bigger priority.....in Kenny we trust!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

While the result wasn't what we were looking for last night I have to say I really enjoyed that match versus Sporting Lisbon. It was a massive step up from the youth games that we normally get to play. The pace/tempo of the game was very quick and the match felt like a proper competitive game at a very high level. Most of the time youth games in his country look like glorified training sessions. I think this competition will be hugely beneficial to the development of players and it provides a proper bridge from youth football to the the first team.

Opr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Let's ignore Andy Carroll's pricetag for a moment. I still think we need a 1st striker, someone more proven/finished/polished at the higher level of the game.

Please do not shoot me. ;)

• Advertisement

/puts spockety on ignore\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spockety wrote: »
    Let's ignore Andy Carroll's pricetag for a moment. I still think we need a 1st striker, someone more proven/finished/polished at the higher level of the game.

Please do not shoot me. ;)

Oh no, this means another day of frustration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Actually yea, when you look at the potential striking options, maybe I'm wrong.

There's a first time for everything! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I've heard we're trying to get Lisandro Lopez? Any substance to that one at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

There's a first time for everything! ;)

VictorMeldrew_1604269c.jpg

I don't believe it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PTO wrote: »
    I'd imagine Arsenal fans loved that!!

It was 2 Barca players who forced the top on him. Pepe just led the sing song

There's a 2,785,164th time for everything! ;)

;):pac:

I've heard we're trying to get Lisandro Lopez? Any substance to that one at all?

Not a chance of us getting him, and certainly no chance of getting him to be a number two or three striker.

He would want to be the number one striker and would cost in the €30- €35m mark.

He is yet another player that Porto bought for buttons and sold on for a big fee.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not a chance of us getting him, and certainly no chance of getting him to be a number two or three striker.

He would want to be the number one striker and would cost in the €30- €35m mark.

He is yet another player that Porto bought for buttons and sold on for a big fee.

Yeah that's what i was thinking unfortunately.

Yeah that's what i was thinking unfortunately.

Would be a cracking buy if we did not already have Carroll as our number one.

Lopez just seems to have gotten better and better in front of goal and in his overall play each time he moved to a stronger league than the one he was in. Could easily see him doing that again if he moved to the EPL.

He is quite good on the right wide slot of a front three, and can play RW, but that would be wasting his talent as a main striker imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, we're well positioned now for Big Andy to be a success. He will get the quality service he needs, and if he reaches a quality level of fitness, he'll do a lot for us.

But there's still a nagging thought at the back of my mind telling me that we need a viable option to him, a quality option.

Well, we're well positioned now for Big Andy to be a success. He will get the quality service he needs, and if he reaches a quality level of fitness, he'll do a lot for us.

But there's still a nagging thought at the back of my mind telling me that we need a viable option to him, a quality option.

But do we go out and spend €30m-€35m to have that viable quality option, or do we buy another N'Gog level player and hope for the best?

If we do the former, are we risking being in a position where Carroll gets shelved before he has had a chance to show his stuff? Or do we have to rejig the formation to try and make everyone fit?

A quality option will cost big, and would expect plenty of game time and not just league cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Kenny's quotes from the press conference. Haha what a man.

Asked whether Enrique could be Liverpool's final acquisition of the summer, Dalglish, who signed as manager on a permanent basis in May, is quoted as saying: "I don't know - it's the same as I don't know if that's your last question!

But do we go out and spend €30m-€35m to have that viable quality option, or do we buy another N'Gog level player and hope for the best?

If we do the former, are we risking being in a position where Carroll gets shelved before he has had a chance to show his stuff? Or do we have to rejig the formation to try and make everyone fit?

A quality option will cost big, and would expect plenty of game time and not just league cup games.

I think we'd need to pay €20m minimum alright. I mean it's not that all out of the ordinary to have multiple options that cost big cash is it? Man U have Berba and Rooney, £30m a pop, and their £7m Hernandez to our £1.5m N'Gog (and before anyone gets antzy, no, I'm not comparing the two). Chelsea have Drogba, Torres and Anelka (who all cost £24m, £50m and £15m respectively I think). And then of course there's City. :pac:

There's no harm in signing another quality striker who, if nothing else, would take a bit of pressure off of Carroll's shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I think we'd need to pay €20m minimum alright. I mean it's not that all out of the ordinary to have multiple options that cost big cash is it? Man U have Berba and Rooney, £30m a pop, and their £7m Hernandez to our £1.5m N'Gog (and before anyone gets antzy, no, I'm not comparing the two). Chelsea have Drogba, Torres and Anelka (who all cost £24m, £50m and £15m respectively I think). And then of course there's City. :pac:

There's no harm in signing another quality striker who, if nothing else, would take a bit of pressure off of Carroll's shoulders.

Id tend to agree very much with this, Suarez up top on his own is an option too isnt it? But even with this and Kuyt, I would see them being less than optimal options for you. Especially taking into account the possible/probable return to CL football next year, a lot of games will need to be played. It would give a proper 4-4-2 option to you as well as being able to not overplay Carroll. I would see it as having someone quality to play alongside him/ give him a break during the season as opposed to him being potentially shelved.

No reliable sources at the moment but twitter abound with rumours that Cahill fee has been agreed.

Opr

Yeah but I would counter that by saying it is easier to keep a number of expensive high quality strikers happy at a club where they are pretty sure they will be competing for the league etc each season, than at a club that is trying to get back to that kind of level.

I think we can take it for granted that whenever he is fit that Suarez will be taking one of the attacking spots more often than not.

We can also take it for granted that Downing will be taking a wide attacking slot more often than not.

So regardless of whether we go with three attackers (4-3-3) or with four attackers (4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 when wingers are counted) two of the attacking positions are gone.

If we go 4-3-3. Then there is only one attacking slot left for a striker so either Carroll or the quality option you mention would have to be left out more often than not, as Suarez and Downing have the wide forward slots.

If we go 4-2-3-1, then Downing and Suarez again have the wide slots and Gerrard/Aquilani/Meireles/Adam etc will take the CAM slot, so again one of Carroll or the quality option has to miss out more often than not.

If we go 4-4-2 we can technically play both Carroll and the quality option, but it would mean either dropping Suarez or putting him in the role of being a traditional winger which would, imho take from his game in the final third.

I think at this stage I would prefer to see a top quality right winger come in, and left Kuyt become the next in line to Carroll, with Kuyt/Henderson being available to cover the quality player that comes in to play in the right forward/right wing slot.

Of course I want to see a quality centre back come in as well, and I think we are still lacking steel in the centre, but the above is my takle on the forward side of things as it stands right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Diego Forlan anyone? Quality and wouldn't break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Forlan would be a great option for ye, I'd say. He's in his twilight years, so could be content with a smaller role, and has a great partnership with Suarez. Plus he'd be a great help for people like Carroll and the younger forwards like Bijev/Nacho/Ngoo what with his experience.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I would counter that by saying it is easier to keep a number of expensive high quality strikers happy at a club where they are pretty sure they will be competing for the league etc each season, than at a club that is trying to get back to that kind of level.

I think we can take it for granted that whenever he is fit that Suarez will be taking one of the attacking spots more often than not.

We can also take it for granted that Downing will be taking a wide attacking slot more often than not.

So regardless of whether we go with three attackers (4-3-3) or with four attackers (4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 when wingers are counted) two of the attacking positions are gone.

If we go 4-3-3. Then there is only one attacking slot left for a striker so either Carroll or the quality option you mention would have to be left out more often than not, as Suarez and Downing have the wide forward slots.

If we go 4-2-3-1, then Downing and Suarez again have the wide slots and Gerrard/Aquilani/Meireles/Adam etc will take the CAM slot, so again one of Carroll or the quality option has to miss out more often than not.

If we go 4-4-2 we can technically play both Carroll and the quality option, but it would mean either dropping Suarez or putting him in the role of being a traditional winger which would, imho take from his game in the final third.

I think at this stage I would prefer to see a top quality right winger come in, and left Kuyt become the next in line to Carroll, with Kuyt/Henderson being available to cover the quality player that comes in to play in the right forward/right wing slot.

Of course I want to see a quality centre back come in as well, and I think we are still lacking steel in the centre, but the above is my takle on the forward side of things as it stands right now.

Fair point about Suarez, I kind of forgot about him until VW 1 mentioned him. :pac: But you kind of hit on my point. Whatever formation we play, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, Carroll is the target man who'll be furthest up the pitch. By playing these formations, formations where without Carroll things could fall a part, I'm concerned that we're not taking the what ifs into account. What if Carroll gets hurt? What if his form is poor? Look what happened when Torres and Stevie G were out injured. Rafa had to change his favoured formation because he didn't have the replacements for them, and it produced damaging results.

It's kind of why I was hopeful that we would have signed Wickham, a bloke with a lot of potential who could have slotted seamlessly into the Carroll role if called for.

But I'd agree with your desire for a centre back first. That would be a priority for me, then a striker. Not too worried about RW, I'm curious to see how Henderson fares.

I wonder would he really be a cheap buy? I thought he signed an extension to his contract last season or the season before. Granted the goals dried up to a degree for him in the season just gone (his worst goal return in 7 years in Spain), but I still would not see Atletico letting him go cheap especially given that they have sold big already this summer.

I like him as a player, but think he would cost more than a 32 yo would be seen as being worth in the eyes of our owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fair point about Suarez, I kind of forgot about him until VW 1 mentioned him. :pac: But you kind of hit on my point. Whatever formation we play, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, Carroll is the target man who'll be furthest up the pitch. By playing these formations, formations where without Carroll things could fall a part, I'm concerned that we're not taking the what ifs into account. What if Carroll gets hurt? What if his form is poor? Look what happened when Torres and Stevie G were out injured. Rafa had to change his favoured formation because he didn't have the replacements for them, and it produced damaging results.

It's kind of why I was hopeful that we would have signed Wickham, a bloke with a lot of potential who could have slotted seamlessly into the Carroll role if called for.

But I'd agree with your desire for a centre back first. That would be a priority for me, then a striker. Not too worried about RW, I'm curious to see how Henderson fares.

Suarez is capable of leading the line; he does it often for Uruguay.

Kenny's press conference today.

Opr

Wouldn't mind seeing an attacking side like this

Reina
    ----Kelly-Cahill-Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Gerrard---Aquilani---Downing
    Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I wonder would he really be a cheap buy? I thought he signed an extension to his contract last season or the season before. Granted the goals dried up to a degree for him in the season just gone (his worst goal return in 7 years in Spain), but I still would not see Atletico letting him go cheap especially given that they have sold big already this summer.

I thought he was coming towards the end of his contract for some reason. Regardless though, how much could they realistically get for a 32 year old?

I know nothing about the mans inclinations but I'd have thought that a move to Liverpool at this stage of his career would be the icing on the cake for him.

I'm only randomly speculating but his name has been mentioned before, probably in a b*llsh*t tweet at some stage!

Someone get onto Luis to have a word in his ear.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing an attacking side like this

Reina
    ----Kelly-Cahill-Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Lucas
    Gerrard---Aquilani---Downing
    Suarez

Would be torn apart by teams with strong midfield pairings/trios. Lucas would have too much to do and we would have teams just coming through our midfiled with a degree of ease . Imho of course.

I thought he was coming towards the end of his contract for some reason. Regardless though, how much could they realistically get for a 32 year old?

I know nothing about the mans inclinations but I'd have thought that a move to Liverpool at this stage of his career would be the icing on the cake for him.

I'm only randomly speculating but his name has been mentioned before, probably in a b*llsh*t tweet at some stage!

Would love to see him link up with Suarez for a season or two for Liverpool, but I just don't see it happening.

Would be torn apart by teams with strong midfield pairings/trios. Lucas would have too much to do and we would have teams just coming through our midfiled with a degree of ease . Imho of course.

Well it would only work against teams like Manchester Utd naturally :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I wouldn't be letting Luis too close to anyone's ear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wages would be an issue as well, we can't really compete with United in that regard and Chelsea and City will be in trouble with the Fair Play rules.

We can only really afford that type of money on a regular first team starter. Though when you look at the type of money Carra is on who should really be the 3rd choice CB...........................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Was just reading the minutes from the fans commitee meeting
    here

I found this question to be a little odd.
    Question 15 from Abu Nasir representing the Ethnic Minority Supporters

Will the Club have a policy or strategy for BME (black and minority ethnic) engagement? For example, opportunities to attend matches, recruit players with an Asian heritage, employment within the Club?

Surely any fan of the club no matter where they're from or what race they are doesn't care where a player is from as long as he's good enough. Obviously if the player is local it's a bit of a bonus. Idiotic question on so many levels.

The full piece
    Question 15 from Abu Nasir representing the Ethnic Minority Supporters

Will the Club have a policy or strategy for BME (black and minority ethnic) engagement? For example, opportunities to attend matches, recruit players with an Asian heritage, employment within the Club?

Points raised The Club runs a successful Equality 4 All project and our Social Inclusion Officer works with Kick it out and Show Racism the Red Card. We run soccer camps with different ethnic communities within Liverpool. Player recruitment has always been based on whether the player is good enough and not on his ethnicity. During the pre-season tour to Asia, we used the opportunity to attend local trials and our Academy Head of Player Recruitment is travelling to China shortly to conduct a series of scouting missions.

Actions agreed: None

Is the correct answer! Can't stand this sort of thing where minorities or busy-bodies on their behalf attempt to pull a fast one.

Was just reading the minutes from the fans commitee meeting
    here

I found this question to be a little odd.

Surely any fan of the club no matter where they're from or what race they are doesn't care where a player is from as long as he's good enough. Obviously if the player is local it's a bit of a bonus. Idiotic question on so many levels.

It was a very loaded question in my eyes, and it was dealt with very well by the sounds of it.

Inter bound I think?

He's available for onlt 6-7m euro though which represents excellent business for a couple of years IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Would definietly like to spend on another striker/forward/attacker. Before we relied to on Torres, Gerrard and Alonso, then it was Gerrard and Torres and now It seems we are down to just Saurez. If we missed Saurez for an extended period or his form dipped they I think we'd really struggle, even more so if we get rid of aquilani.

Would definietly like to spend on another striker/forward/attacker. Before we relied to on Torres, Gerrard and Alonso, then it was Gerrard and Torres and now It seems we are down to just Saurez. If we missed Saurez for an extended period or his form dipped they I think we'd really struggle, even more so if we get rid of aquilani.

That is one thing that already worries me about Suarez. I know he is only at the club since January, but already he seems firmly established as the main man and so much of our attacking threat comes when the ball is at his feet.

Does this mean we are back to Liverpool being a one-man team again?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Now its Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Kuyt, Gerrard, Adam, Meireles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

flahavaj wrote: »
    Does this mean we are back to Liverpool being a one-man team again?:pac:

awww. I always knew you were one of us

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jaysis, lads will you all relax, the team is full of attacking players.

Even the defender Kenny bought, Enrique has an attacking side to his game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement