Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not wanting to go to college

• 16-06-2011 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm doing my leaving cert at the moment and I am just wondering what other options are there apart from going to college because I really dont want to go. I want to do an apprenticeship but will it be worth it in the end seeing that there are many people unable to finish theirs at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

There's PLC courses, nightschools, Open University courses (though very expensive), enrolling in a Fas course when you become eligible, volunteering with community schemes or charities....they're all the learning ones I can think of. It wouldn't hurt to get a job and see how you like it, and maybe in time you'll find something you *do* want to do after all. I didn't go to college the year I did the LC either, and I turned out ok =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What are your interests? What do you think you'd like to do?

Taking a year out is a good idea if you're not sure what you want to do. Not everyone is suited for college, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Larianne wrote: »
    What are your interests? What do you think you'd like to do?

Taking a year out is a good idea if you're not sure what you want to do. Not everyone is suited for college, nothing wrong with that.

+1

Loads of people just go to college because it's "the done thing", bluff their way through a four year course and come out none the wiser with little to show for it. Better to use those four years doing something more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

im in the same boat as you..i hate the thought of 4 years of college..i want to go a panel beating apprenticeship but i dunno are many people getting let go or what..i had an idea to take a year off, look for an apprenticeship if i dont get one in a year just go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Yeah it's exactly the same for me :) I applied for aer lingus apprenticeship but didn't get it, i was too late to apply for air atlanta apprenticeship and shannon aerospace are currently not taking any apprentices...My last chance is ryanair but the chances are almost 0, as they are only taking 4 or 5 apprentices...
    So I think ill try finding some plc course or a job...

• Advertisement
Advertisement