Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Old Games (Site for older PC games)

Options
  • 16-06-2011 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey.

Just thought I'd pop up a topic about a cracking site that's been on the go a wee while, but there's not too many mentions of it on here.

Site is called Good Old Games (GOG) and it sells older PC games, from 1990's up until 2006 or so. Some absolutely quality titles on there (including one of my all time favourites, Crusader: No Remorse) and the older DOS and Windows ones are all made Vista and XP compatable.

Also, the site recently agreed a deal with EA (boo, hiss) that let's them sell older EA titles, such as Crusader, Dungeon Keeper, and Ultima, among others. Games are all DRM-free too, and don't need a program to launch them, which is a bonus.

I don't usually promote many sites, but this one deserves it as it brings us legal ways to buy older classics, and also has made them work with newer systems, and for very little cost (the $5.99 games work out at just over 4e, so they're dirt cheap).

Anyways, take a look and hope someone enjoys! :)

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Definitely worth joining for any PC gamer; they have regular sales which are worth keeping an eye on. They now have some great classics such as the Baldur's Gate games and Planescape Torment, which everyone should play. Oh and the original Duke Nukem 3D (which sounds like a better purchase than the recent one..)

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're the same people behind the witcher and the witcher 2, preordered my copy of witcher 2 from them to support them (and to get a few free games from gog.com).

I will always love them for having One unit whole Blood, Blood is one of the most awesomest fps ever made.. due another replay actually. One problem with it is that it can sometimes destroy memories. I loved descent 2 back in the day, played it to death so I bought it on gog.com a few weeks back and... my god
    I remember the game looking.. futuristic and... impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

They've been around awhile, about 3 years I think.

They actually relaunched last September but masked as if they were shutting down completely before appearing again with a new site plus Baldur's Gate. A bit disingenuous really. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Old_Games

Great prices on the old games you've lost CDs for and DRM free which is great. One of the best parts is the forums, all sorts of technical issues solved and players who are currently playing through the game, much better than the game specific forums on other sites that are pretty dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

To be fair to them I only heard about them after the debacle over the site going down, and I thought they were pretty funny about it too. I'd say I'm not alone because I've seen them mentioned a lot since, both here and elsewhere.

Just a heads up to anyone who isn't aware, they have beneath a steel sky and lure of the temptress for free, you just have to sign up. Two classic games well worth the effort of joining to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Also, the summer sale for that site starts Monday :)
    Can't wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Y'all need to buy Freespace 2 off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Y'all need to buy Freespace 2 off there.

And it's now on sale for only $2.99 along with other Interplay games:

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=interplay_promo

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Love that website :)

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay

huge sale on today, load of games for 2.99 dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Is it possible to play games like Icewind Dale and Heroes 3 on Windows 7?

• Advertisement

if it's on gog.com it's playable in windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Well bugger me, it works :)

I had dungeon keeper on cd but was never able to run it since vista came out. Bought it off GoG for 5 bucks, 183mb download took 3mins, booted up and ran no problem (except some weird mouse lag but i think Ill get by).

check the forum on gog.com for that specific game, there's probasbly someone who already had that problem and someone else who told them how to fix it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I hope they add dungeon keeper 2 and thief 1 & 2.

Advertisement