Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blarney, Co. Cork upgrade

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I noticed I was upgraded yesterday, from 8mb to 10mb, not exactly the 24mb in the letter. I know it said upto 24mb and I never imagined I would get that but I expected at the very least half or upto 16mb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

stylie wrote: »
    Hi,

I noticed I was upgraded yesterday, from 8mb to 10mb, not exactly the 24mb in the letter. I know it said upto 24mb and I never imagined I would get that but I expected at the very least half or upto 16mb

Well they will give you as much as your line can take ( up to 24meg ) and there are also other factors ( length of line etc ) to consider. Anything more could possibly cause drop-outs in your connection. Post your line stats if you can aswell.

Also in the letter , does it tell you what speeds you can expect from the 24meg package ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi,

Hi stylie,

As Im_EoinD mentions, there are a few other factors involved when increasing your broadband line speed from *8Mb NGb. Try to test your modem on your master phone socket with just one computer connected over ethernet. Even try the modem direct without the adsl splitter - when testing the speed.

If you PM your phone number I can confirm your current broadband sync.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

What are your line stats like?
    Most likely your too far from the exchange to get any higher speed.
    If your modem is not connected directly to the phone socket (ie. using a filter with a phone) connect it directly and see if there is any change in speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Are these the stats you are looking for ?

Speed 12282/668 (kbps) Line Attenuation 28/13 dB

I am a little of a km from the exchange

My router is a netopia 2247-02. Would there be any benifit in buying a newer router in the shops ? It might help out with my wireless connections I thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Are these the stats you are looking for ?

Speed 12282/668 (kbps) Line Attenuation 28/13 dB

I am a little of a km from the exchange

My router is a netopia 2247-02. Would there be any benifit in buying a newer router in the shops ? It might help out with my wireless connections I thinking

Is there any way you could post the signal noise margin?

I would always recommend a 3rd party router , better than the zyxel or whatever Eircom give you. I have a Netgear and it's served me very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 668
    SN Margin (dB) 15.50 20.20
    Line Attenuation (dB) 28.50 13.00
    CRC Errors 8 0
    VPI / VCI 8/35
    Protocol PPP over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

Advertisement