Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER insurance

• 16-06-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

The amounts quoted in this insurance doc i got from SEAI are insane (6.5m, 1.3m and 13m). THe cost of insurance is pushing a load of people out of doing BERs. This is especially true for a person using the BERs as a sort of nixer.

Anyone know where this insurance can be got a reasonable prices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The levels of insurance required for the work involved are stupid!! I have had PI for years which has covered my BER work but now I have to get PL and EL cover too!! There are some companies doing packages for BER assessors for around 400 but you'd want to be doing a few BER's to justify it. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that people are dropping out of the system, there was way way to many assessors some doing the BERs for peanuts, it will make BER's a little bit more viable for whoever remains, I just havn't decided if I will stick it out or not!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Max Powers wrote: »
    .... THe cost of insurance is pushing a load of people out of doing BERs. This is especially true for a person using the BERs as a sort of nixer.

Good.

The BER service should always have been viewed as another string to a building professionals bow. It never should have been viewed as a standalone profession. Most building professionals would have PI insurance in this level (ours was 1m now up to 1.3m)

I agree that the levels are definitely on the highside, but the difference in premium between 1m and 1.3 m is minimal to us.

No6, wouldnt your insurer include PL and EL as standard on your insurance?

sydthebeat wrote: »

No, PI only Pl & El have always been seperate policy's with me (if I needed them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SEVERA

i am confused, has anbody any clue as to where i can get 1 insurance policy to cover both my jobs as a heating contractor and a ber assessor i allready have pl of 6.5m product liability of 6.5m and el of 13m which is up for renewal next week costing 800 euro its going to be hard enough to pay for this as is.

All you will need is a seperate PI policy!! but you might be as well off getting a combined policy just for BER work they are costing around 360 I thnik at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 chrisoc09

The BERAAI have recently mailed all assessors registered with details of an insurance package they have put together for i think €400. I use a company in wexford (quiet reasonable) pm for details if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Good.

The BER service should always have been viewed as another string to a building professionals bow. It never should have been viewed as a standalone profession. Most building professionals would have PI insurance in this level (ours was 1m now up to 1.3m)

I agree that the levels are definitely on the highside, but the difference in premium between 1m and 1.3 m is minimal to us.

Good for you if you're making more money out of the Jobs for the Boys scheme that is BER certification I suppose.

A whole new industry created overnight by the government, brilliant isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Please dont waste peoples time with contradictory posts

Banned for 2 weeks

Advertisement