Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop losing eircom BB signal but iPod Touch not

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Just got in eircom yesterday and connection seems fairly stable wirelessly on iPod Touch but disconnecting regularly on Dell laptop. Changed channel selection a few times on router (zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3) as recommended by support but that has not worked.

Not sure if this is a clue but every time I start the laptop I have to connect to the net using the WZC service as the option to let windows manage my connections is not there until I do.

Can anyone suggest what may be going on?

Thanks.

Stats:

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 6144 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 47 dB /26 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 20 dB /21 dB

Comments

What version of windows are you running?

Have you had problems before with broadband?

Maybe try updating the driver via the dell site (Use the Service tag, on bottom of computer) http://support.dell.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Running XP sp3. Never had an issue with Clearwire who I just got rid of. Are you talking about updating the wireless card driver? I think I tried that last night but it said no update was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does it disconnect exactly every hour by any chance? I mean, 60 minutes after you turn the router on or 60 minutes since you were last disconnected?

No not every hour, about every 10 seconds and reconnects 10 seconds later. I noticed also that I had about 15 minutes of uninterrupted connection but it then started happening again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are you being asked to do in connection with the wzc? could you describe that in a bit more detail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since this has nothing to do with Broadband, and seems ore a Wifi connection issue, thread moved to Wireless forum.

When I turn on the router and the laptop, the laptop is not connecting to the signal so then I click on the little computer icon in the system tray to check available networks. I then get a message that windows cannot configure the wireless connection and I must use the WZC service.

So then I hit start...run....type in services.msc and scroll all the way down to the wireless option and turn it on. Not at home now so can't type specifics.

Then going back into settings, I can click on "allow windows to make a wireless connection" and check this box. The eircom signal then becomes visible and I connect to it. This succeeds but then starts to disconnect and reconnect as described in my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I hate dells wireless utility and I think I was doing similar stuff to you with wzc..I found an option in the dell client to allow windows to manage my connection. I couldnt uninstall the dell utility btw.
    However switching off the dell utility seems to result in a much slower boot for the network connections.
    Maybe worth trying..

Advertisement