Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed: Poss underweight cat, change to new food?

• 16-06-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

my two cats are now approx13 months and 15 months old and doing great.
    However, there is a notable difference in their eating habits and physique.

Maisie (15months) eats small and often and is healthy, good weight and size.

Billy (13 months) eats ALL ROUND him (if he was allowed, often heading for Maisie's bowl after his has scoffed his own) Despite this, he is quite smaller in size and thinner by comparison.

All vaccinations, worm doses etc are up to date and regular. His form is perfect, if a touch needy and whiney at times (!)

I'm thinking he maynot be getting the same nutriitional value from his food as Maisie. Currently they are fed a mixture of dry Go-Cat and Felix wet.

Could anyone recommend a good brand of magbe high protein quality feed that I could try him on for a few weeks? Will bring him to the vet for full examination, but would like to try the option of changing his food first to see if this helps.

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

You could try something like the Iams or Hills Science Plan. They're both supposed to be really good. I think the problem with the brand in the supermarkets is that they have veg in them which cats don't need at all so they need to eat a lot more of it to get the nutrients (talking about the Go-Cat). I have my guy on it for a while and while he loved it but he just wasn't well on it. I have him on Connolly Red Mills now which he likes (he's so fussy) and while he's still quite a slender cat he at least has gotten to a healthy weight now and it is better than having a fat cat. the Connolly Red Mills costs around €10 for a 2kg bag, while the others I mentioned are closer to the €20 mark. I had him on Hills for a while but he's so fussy and the other is a lot cheaper and yet he's still very good on it. Other people will hopefully be able to give you better/more advice than what I have. Anyway see what the vet says and hopefully everything works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks a million for that - will be popping into the vet's after work and having a chat, will give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 76MGBGT

Hi, this is my first time on this site so apologies if im in the wrong thread or something!!

ive a problem and need advice.
    my parents had a ****zu that was taken to get neutered last nite.
    he s now dead. vet isnt giving an explanation other than that ' its just one of those things'
    the dog was healthy, approx 6 years old.
    the dog has just been collected by my sister and she was appalled by the conditions of the vetinerary clinic. the dog was stored in a black bag in a cupboard.this practice is well known in my area and have qualified vets.

needless to say, everyone is a bit distraught at the min. i have contacted the vetinerary council with a few to getting an investigation done.

has anyone suffered this before? im at a loss as to what to do but i feel that this was avoidable.

any help would be appreciated

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

@76MGBGT- Best to start a new thread about your problem as this one is about cats.

@OP- Although the vet will hopefully have a good quality food, dont let them push you into buying what they have. Our old vet only had hills and insisted we put the cats on it, but they absolutely despised it. After researching different cat foods, I have them on a mix of Royal Canin and Select Gold (one of Maxi Zoo's own brands) with a bit of wet Real Nature cat food now and again. They're all fine and healthy and perfect weights. The main thing about cat foods is to find one with as little cereals in it as possible; cats cannot digest plant matter very well, so a meat-based diet is much better for them. If you have a look at the ingredients in the GoCat and Felix, I think Gocat is about 6% meat, and the felix wet food is only about that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

@ 76MGBGT Go out onto the main forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240 And click the blue new thread button on the top left. I don't think it's fair to derail the original poster's thread so I'l answer in a new thread if you post one.

I use James wellbeloved dry food for my cat. You could also try a high quality wet food for him from zooplus.ie (or .co.uk) such as smilla, bozita or animonda carny. I used those to get weight on an underweight kitten and they worked very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement