Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Wall Westside

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the brilliant stone wall thats being built at the Westside shopping centre as part of the new road scheme, its a great skill and its going up so fast, there were six guys building the wall when I passed this morning, fantastic how they do the wall so nice and level with all the different size stones.

Well done who ever is building the wall.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I caught myself singing yesterday morning.. ♫And I wish I was on that R338, stone walls and the grass is green

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah it is amazing how fast it all happened. In general I've been avoiding that road this year. Nice to see so much progress.

I asked this in another thread... and it's probably been asked/talked about already. Is it true that the extra lanes will just be bus lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

newkie wrote: »
    Yeah it is amazing how fast it all happened. In general I've been avoiding that road this year. Nice to see so much progress.

I asked this in another thread... and it's probably been asked/talked about already. Is it true that the extra lanes will just be bus lanes?

Yes. See map of scheme @: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/220910_01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Passed by there hour ago and it is a well built wall ok, there is a van there with Stonecom on it so I presume they are building it, no doubt but its a great skill putting up one of those walls. Its going to look great when the whole thing is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wow, I haven't seen it but the last I heard they were putting up those pre-built wall facades (like by the ESB, but nicer). Did they go with hand built?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. It's not as bad as I feared. All those turn lanes will make a big difference for traffic flowing thru (ie on a journey from western distributor out to Quincentennial bridge). I assume those red marks are lights at the intersection in to the westside shopping centre. Will be nice to finally have a proper junction there rather than rat-racing behind it on the siobhan mckenna rd just to turn right when coming out of there. I still don't know why we always bottleneck entraces to commercial areas with a sideroad rather than have 2 or more large entrance/exits on the main road (i.e. like terryland dunnes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I was expecting some complaining but I'm delighted that this thread is actually positive. I'll have to head that way at some point to see what the fuss is. I've been avoiding it myself (I'm in Knocknacarra).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

newkie wrote: »
    Is it true that the extra lanes will just be bus lanes?

Ack... where's the sense in that? That traffic should be divided as much as possible, shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wow, I haven't seen it but the last I heard they were putting up those pre-built wall facades (like by the ESB, but nicer). Did they go with hand built?

Passed by a while ago and they are building a proper stone wall, stone by stone, not a pre-built wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Passed by a while ago and they are building a proper stone wall, stone by stone, not a pre-built wall.

That's great!
    It's further down opposite Glen Dara and around up the Rahoon road that a pre-built is going in I found out. Pity. It would be lovely if they hand built one up there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

They have blocks on one side; facing the pitch and then putting the stone on the roadfacing side from what I saw yesterday. Looks good alright, much better than the ESB part near the lights.
    I wonder what they'll be doing closer up at the roundabout, that'll be a serious bit of stonework needed where they dug out all the side of the hill and the big retaining wall of cement if they continue on up to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

That wall around the ESB looks like a maximum-security prison. Lessons learned, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Myself and a passenger were admiring the skill and industry of the masons today. It is a beautiful wall.

That wall around the ESB looks like a maximum-security prison. Lessons learned, clearly.

+1

Seriously, it's a monstrosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I was expecting some complaining but I'm delighted that this thread is actually positive. I'll have to head that way at some point to see what the fuss is. I've been avoiding it myself (I'm in Knocknacarra).

sorry to ruin your POSITIVITY but in all fairness its a **** wall

Advertisement