Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash in the pan footballers - Freddy Adu Syndrome??

• 16-06-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey,

Was just looking at the list of footballers released by Premiership clubs and one stood out....

Blackburn - Maceo Rigters

I was reminded of this guy with the U21s on at moment and how he had an amzing tournamnet in 2006 for Holland and became one of Europe's hottest properties!!!

Just take a read of his WIki profile under International Career:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maceo_Rigters

Amazing how players are flash in the pans...one minute your doing this in a Euro Champs:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=750nKMaTqmg

Next thing you are playing at Barnsley...

Seem to remember the guy Marcus Berg from Sweden suffering similar after U21s in 2009....was hottest property but has faded

Whos next??? Maybe it should be called Freddy Adu Syndrome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bebe? Except without the flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

PHB wrote: »

Or the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I see mention of Rigters bettering Leroy Lita in the Euro championships. He was another flash in the pan.

There are plenty of young English players though - Carl Cort, Michael Ricketts, Darius Vassell, Seth Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

About half of all English British footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Lionel Andrés Messi was thought to be the next "big thing" after been noticed playing for his local team Newell's Old Boys back in 2000...some big European clubs were supposed to be interested in bringing him over from Argentina.
    Never heard anymore about him...apparently, he was too small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lionel Andrés Messi was thought to be the next "big thing" after been noticed playing for his local team Newell's Old Boys back in 2000...some big European clubs were supposed to be interested in bringing him over from Argentina.
    Never heard anymore about him...apparently, he was too small

sarcasm_detector8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

What's his face... that african dude....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I remember hoping and praying that Liverpool would sign Marcus Berg after seeing him in the U-21s in 2009, think he is still playing in Holland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lemlin wrote: »
    I see mention of Rigters bettering Leroy Lita in the Euro championships. He was another flash in the pan.

There are plenty of young English players though - Carl Cort, Michael Ricketts, Darius Vassell, Seth Johnson.

None of those were particularly rated. If anything Vassell over-achieved and ended up with a lot more international appearences (in big matches) and goals for England than many would have predicted when he broke through at Villa.

Johnson was a tidy player at Derby who lucked out by arriving at Leeds at the height of their contract insanity.

Ricketts was a lower-league player who earned a single England cap on the back of a very good 18 months. He would have been 22/23ish at the time I'd have thought - hardly a hyped-up kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a.k.a. 'The Francis Jeffers Memorial Thread'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

SlickRic wrote: »
    http://www.bluekipper.com/on_this_day/388-everton_sell_fox_in_the_box_to_arsenal_for_8m.html

10 years ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Giles Barnes still only 22 but i remember 3/4 years ago with derby he was a hot prospect

He has been released this summer from WBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

G.K. wrote: »
    What's his face... that african dude....

El Hadji Diouf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No... Nii Lamptey

G.K. wrote: »
    No... Nii Lamptey

You should read up on him. What a shocking life he has led.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Tony Yeboah. What a flash though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Jody Morris
    Jermaine Pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Cherno Samba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Ali Dia :cool:

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Giles Barnes still only 22 but i remember 3/4 years ago with derby he was a hot prospect

22????
    I thought he was late 20's by this stage.
    He was amazing in his first season with Derby, i really thought he would be with a big club by now.

Andrei Arshavin...

Flash in the pan every season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

ynwa_17 wrote: »

didnt really like the intro to that
    For me and for a lot of Dutch and Belgian football fans, the name Nii Lamptey has become synonymous with young super-talents that succumb to the pressure and are unable to live up the high expectations placed upon them by managers, media and fans

TBH that Villa move and his agent pretty much destroyed that poor kid (thats actually older than me). Not sure if he succumbed to pressure or was he basically ruined by the footballing establishment.

A lot of the failure of these flash in the plans can be down to there attitude. Not sure the same can be said about lamptey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Russell Beardsmore

What about Diego?
    Surely should be playing at a higher level than the Bundesliga now(even though he will be leaving Wolfsburg soon)

Denilson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ryan Babel unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How about Karel Poborsky,remember Utd snapping him up after having a good Euro 96 and getting rid of him again after a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Eric Djemba Djemba, i dont know how he lasted 2 seasons at United maybe because we had trouble offloading him.

http://sniffingtt.blogspot.com/2008/03/anyone-redjemba-redjemba-eric.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SlickRic wrote: »

The man who single handedly caused Wenger to forever distrust British players.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »

Richard Wright as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I was beaten to denilson, wasn't he world record transfer at the time too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PHB wrote: »

I am not sure whether all the stick Bebe gets is warranted tbh.
    Yep - Fergie paid a fair bit for him but he's still young.........
    7 games 2 goals for the senior squad
    13 games 6 goals (I think) for the reserves............

The transfer fee and indeed the way he was recommended to Ferguson was not his fault.
    In my opinion he has all the qualities to make it as a decent striker and judging him on his first season in English football is very unfair when you consider how some other young foreign players have done in the past.
    Hopefully the loan spell will show people what he can do and he returns to United in a better position to gain a regular place.

Oh yeah, if you really want to look at flash in the pan players, look at the players that played for Senegal in the 2002 (I think) world cup, that Liverpool bought shortly after (diouf there was another one also)- not the only club to be caught out by players playing out of their skins at world cups but the ones I most remember.
    Strange thing is Diouf has done pretty well out of that world cup.

Its the players (like diouf

Frisbee wrote: »

Aaron Ramsey?
    Jack Wilshire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

kippy wrote: »
    I am not sure whether all the stick Bebe gets is warranted tbh.
    Yep - Fergie paid a fair bit for him but he's still young.........
    7 games 2 goals for the senior squad
    13 games 6 goals (I think) for the reserves............

The transfer fee and indeed the way he was recommended to Ferguson was not his fault.
    In my opinion he has all the qualities to make it as a decent striker and judging him on his first season in English football is very unfair when you consider how some other young foreign players have done in the past.
    Hopefully the loan spell will show people what he can do and he returns to United in a better position to gain a regular place.

I agree. He's very fast, strong and seems to have a knack for hitting the target. He might just be a diamond in the rough who will turn into a good player. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Back to this thread I give you Michael Ricketts.

George Donnis , was about to sign for Utd then hi jacked by Blackburn .

Juninho for Middlesboro.

David Bentley for Spurs .

• Advertisement

Juninho was quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Juninho was quality.

gotta agree. he was a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

_40404991_viana203.jpg

Hugo Viana.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Paully D wrote: »
    _40404991_viana203.jpg

Hugo Viana.

Haha ye..>Newcastle also had Carl Serrant and Des Hamilton..the great young English hopes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redzerdrog wrote: »

Wow! Surprised to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Paully D wrote: »
    _40404991_viana203.jpg

Hugo Viana.

Had the useless cnut on the back of one of my jerseys.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cisse was pretty muck for the money Liverpool paid for him,and he had a decent goalscoring reputation at Bordeaux too.Salif Diao was the other Senegalese player that Liverpool signed with Diouf in 2002,last I heard he was at Stoke.

Think Houllier had lost the run of himself when he started signing the likes of them.

Edit:Was Auxerre that Cisse was signed from not Bordeaux!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

ritchie humphreys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Cisse was pretty muck for the money Liverpool paid for him,and he had a decent goalscoring reputation at Bordeaux too.Salif Diao was the other Senegalese player that Liverpool signed with Diouf in 2002,last I heard he was at Stoke.

Think Houllier had lost the run of himself when he started signing the likes of them.

Edit:Was Auxerre that Cisse was signed from not Bordeaux!

47 goals in 60 games for panathinaikos in the last 2 seasons. Few premiership teams this year could do with that sort of flash in the pan ! He never really lived up to expectations at Liverpool i will admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Juninho for Middlesboro.

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! Thats crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

bullvine wrote: »
    ritchie humphreys!!

Not sure what Premiership Years it was..but he tore the place up for 5 games at the start of one season...great chipped goal I remember

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Curtis Flemming.

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Not sure what Premiership Years it was..but he tore the place up for 5 games at the start of one season...great chipped goal I remember

That was the 96/97 season. I remember that chip very well.

Juninho for Middlesboro.

He was the best player to ever play for Boro..

And I'd say he would be at least one of the top 20 foreigners to play in the EPL.

Maybe your getting confused with Emerson who played for Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Juan Sebastian Veron, ok was great before he went to United but from then on was pretty much muck.

Sergi Rebrov came under so much hype being half of the great strike partnership with Shevchenko but flopped masively as spurs.

Oh and lets not forget Andrei Shevchenko at Chelsea amazing for years moves to Chelsea never the same again.

Bruno Cheyrou branded the new Zidane on his move to Liverpool.

Jo at Man City what was it 23 million and hes done nothing of note at all.

Winston Bogarde sat at Chelsea for four years earning 40k a week and never getting a game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement