Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash in the pan footballers - Freddy Adu Syndrome??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Duff wrote: »
    Had the useless cnut on the back of one of my jerseys.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure he is playing for Braga now, started the Europa League final iirc. So looks like he's gone onto better things! Just because he was a flop in the PL doesn't mean he was a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Danny Cadamarteri

He was tipped for great things when he came on the scene with Everton but fell at an alarming rate down through the leagues. Article on his "fall from grace" here :

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/01/football-blogs/fall-grace-danny-cadamarteri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

everton had a bunch at the back end of the 1990s, seemed every week a new superhero would emerge only to be forgotten about a year later e.g michael branch, danny cadamarteri, francis jeffers, john oster

others to burst onto the scene and then disappear include keith gillespie, mark kennedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hoki wrote: »
    Danny Cadamarteri

He was tipped for great things when he came on the scene with Everton but fell at an alarming rate down through the leagues. Article on his "fall from grace" here :

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/01/football-blogs/fall-grace-danny-cadamarteri

First name to pop into my head when I read the thread title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

bluefinger wrote: »
    Tony Yeboah. What a flash though.

Anything but. Legend at Frankfurt before moving to the Leeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Melion wrote: »
    What about Diego?
    Surely should be playing at a higher level than the Bundesliga now(even though he will be leaving Wolfsburg soon)

Denilson?

what? its one of the biggest leagues in the world? best supported one aswell!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Michael Bridges, Mark Platts.

Arturo Lupoli came to Arsenal with a great reputation. Didnt see any of it while he played for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Johnnier Montaño.

Set the Copa America alight as a 16 year old in 1999. Remember watching him and thinking - this kid is going to be special. He was, along with Roque Santa Cruz and Ronaldinho, one of the young stars of the tournament.

Here's a peach of a goal he scored against Argentina in that tournament;

Moved to Parma afterwards and fell off the map completely. Last I read, he's playing in Turkey having returned to Colombia after a stint in the Gulf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Kerlon, top scorer and named Best Player at the 2005 South American Under 17 Football Championship.

His trademark skill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

G.K. wrote: »
    No... Nii Lamptey

He used to score a ridiculous amount of goals for me in Championship Manager '94. That doesn't count, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Maxi Lopez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anthony Stokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anthony Stokes.

Anthony Stokes really? When was he ever good? Scoring goals in Scotland, whilst on loan from Arsenal doesnt really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Fangzhuo

Left United and proceeded to go 801 days without a goal.

Never tipped to be a world beater, but to go from Manchester United to the Armeian PL is a massive decline.

Quincy Owusu Abeyie: When I saw him play for Arsenal in the league cup I really thought this fella had it all tore teams apart, but since then he been all over the place and never really fullfilled his potential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Owusu-Abeyie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anthony Stokes really? When was he ever good? Scoring goals in Scotland, whilst on loan from Arsenal doesnt really count.

actually ya your right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Joaquin
    Quaresma
    Reyes
    Mancini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I remember reading about this guy, had some amazing years in Belgium and then literally dissappeared into obscurity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alin_Stoica

Could you count Macheda, or is it too early in his career yet? He scored some vital goals for Utd at the end of the season, and I haven't heard anything on him since (though in fairness, I haven't searched much!)

Reyes

I was thinking of Reyes myself, but can you really count him in? He might have flopped at Arsenal but that was more due to home sickness,then yes he did flop at Real Madrid, but as far as I know hes been dong well at Athletico Madrid, I wouldnt watch a lot of Spanish football but the few times I did see him play last season he was quite impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Cianan2 wrote: »
    I remember reading about this guy, had some amazing years in Belgium and then literally dissappeared into obscurity!

Could you count Macheda, or is it too early in his career yet? He scored some vital goals for Utd at the end of the season, and I haven't heard anything on him since (though in fairness, I haven't searched much!)

He had a loan spell at Sampdoria during the second half of last season, scored one goal in sixteen while Sampdoria were relegated.

I think he's got the potential to be a top player but looks a little complacent at times, maybe his nightmare stay at Sampdoria will give him the proverbial kick in the behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips say hi.

James Beattie also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

I was thinking of Reyes myself, but can you really count him in? He might have flopped at Arsenal but that was more due to home sickness,then yes he did flop at Real Madrid, but as far as I know hes been dong well at Athletico Madrid, I wouldnt watch a lot of Spanish football but the few times I did see him play last season he was quite impressive.

Yeah I was hesitating about him, but the insane impression he gave at Arsenal doesn't compare to his relatively average contribution to Atletico

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

literally dissappeared
    Impressive!
    Meh, one great goal is all he's ever really done.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Literally!? Oh no!! :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Mark Robins belongs to be in here too. After a stellar start to his career with Utd as the next big thing, and scoring the goal that esentially kept ferguson ni his job, he never lived up to the hype and potential. He didn't have a bad career, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't anything like it was predicted to be when he started out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I got to add one of our ex-players, Ben Sahar. Even though at only 21 now, he could very easily fall into this category. Was expected by many around Stamford Bridge to be one for the future but it never happened, he played a handful of games for Cheslea before going on loan at a few clubs and then was sold.

AFAIK hes at Espanyol at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

John Jensen scored a goal in the euro 92 final that got him a transfer to Arsenal never lived up to expectations think he scored1 goal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Stephen Ireland Has disappeared into mediocrity from great heights a few seasons ago.

Liam Miller, I dont think hes been mentioned yet, moved from Celtic to United under a fair amount of hype having produced some good displays for Celtic never really done anything after that, now playing for Perth Glory in the A League at 30 ouch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kleberson - Signed for Man Utd after an impressive world cup in '02, then moved on to Besiktas and then back to Brazil

Javier Portillo - Was a hot prospect at Madrid a decade ago then played for a few mid-table Spanish clubs, now playing for Spanish 2nd division side Hercules

Alfonso Alves - Scored 37 goals in 38 games for Herenveen in 07-08, then moved to Middlesbrough, didn't do too much. Now playing in Qatar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    I think Mark Robins belongs to be in here too. After a stellar start to his career with Utd as the next big thing, and scoring the goal that esentially kept ferguson ni his job, he never lived up to the hype and potential. He didn't have a bad career, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't anything like it was predicted to be when he started out.

Think he went of the radar for a while but had a good season for Norwich a few years later.

Edit: He did kind of disappear after that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Paul McShane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips say hi.

James Beattie also.

No way pal, Phillips was class, certainly not a one season wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

This thread got me to dig out my old 93/94 Premier League album. At the back there was a section called 'Rising Stars'. They are as follows:

Steve Froggatt - Minor success, but retired at 28.
    Ian Selley - Flop and Arsenal reject
    Neal Bartlett - Flop, as Wiki search shows a journeyman conference player
    Neil Shipperley Minor success, played for the likes of Palace and Wimbledon later on.
    Adie Mike Who? Went nowhere of note, if Wiki is correct
    Darren Caskey Flop, but respectable enough in the old Division 2
    Jamie Forrester Flop - lower league long servant
    Darren Eadie Minor success - many seasons with Norwich.

The curse of that season's album then. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Sam Della Bona. Had a great 2002 for Chelsea. Was in the midst of 5-6 million pound transfers before going to Milan and falling away as stunning pace ever since. 4 or so games in the past 3 years and not because of injury either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Could possibly name Kezman up there, flattered himself in Holland, embarrassed himself everywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Oh and lets not forget Andrei Schevchenko

I think youre misunderstanding the thread. One of the top scorers of all time in European football. Champions league, seria a winner. Ballon D'or winner. That hardly constitutes flash in the pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Joaquin

Not having that JoeQuinns class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stan Collymore is the biggest one for me, looked like the best thing since the sliced pan for two seasons at Forest but was just a huge disappointment after that.

Michael Bridges is another. Went to Leeds and looked awesome in this first season there and then went to bits. In fact there were a couple in that Leeds team like Michael Duberry, Eric Bakke and to a lesser extent Harry Kewell and then Seth Johnson.

Remember Luke Chadwick at United? He looked like he was going to have a solid career in the Premier League but just failed everywhere he went after he left United.

One that I'll always remember too is Lee Power who was part of a good Norwich team around 1990 and looked like he was going to be the business but he disappeared off into the lower leagues soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

eagle eye wrote: »
    Michael Bridges is another. Went to Leeds and looked awesome in this first season there and then went to bits. In fact there were a couple in that Leeds team like Michael Duberry, Eric Bakke and to a lesser extent Harry Kewell and then Seth Johnson.

Injuries played a huge part in their loss of form and ability, Michael Bridges in particular. 10 appearances in 4 seasons for Leeds is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Anyone remember Anthony 'the next Platini' Le Tallec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great thread, most of the main ones are here. Its amazing how a player does something and is then never seen again. Players having a good international tournaments ala poborsky, arshavin and barros and live of it for years until people realise they are quite s*it!! Danny cadamatory (or how ever its spelt) is prime example. bruno cheyrou another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dont think he has been mentioned but Terry Cooke was a real flash in the pan,this is probably his biggest moment in a Utd shirt setting up Giggs v Bolton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Cooke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Albert Luque.

What were we thinking?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

eagle eye wrote: »
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Injuries played a huge part in their loss of form and ability, Michael Bridges in particular. 10 appearances in 4 seasons for Leeds is terrible.

I agree about Bridges but Seth Johnson was just out and out crap. could never understand why he was bought in the first place, and certainly not of £7 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Anyone remember Anthony 'the next Platini' Le Tallec?

Only ever did one good thing of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keano_afc wrote: »
    No way pal, Phillips was class, certainly not a one season wonder.

Really?

He scored 30 goals in 36 games in the 99/00 season in the Premiership.

He has failed to even score half of that since.

Seems to fit the 'flash in the pan' term pretty well to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

great thread, most of the main ones are here. Its amazing how a player does something and is then never seen again. Players having a good international tournaments ala poborsky, arshavin and barros and live of it for years until people realise they are quite s*it!! Danny cadamatory (or how ever its spelt) is prime example. bruno cheyrou another.

Milan Baros - last 3 season for Galatasaray -57 games, 38 goals. Yep. Rubbish.

Poborsky - voted 4th best czech player of the decade and got over 118 czech international caps. Again, clearly rubbish.

Arshavin is a very talented footballer, had a bad season last year alright.

Putting these 3 in the flash in the pan category is madness. Just because a player leaves the premiership after 1 or 2 seasons it doesn't necessarily mean they are a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

PHB wrote: »
    Bebe? Except without the flash.

Another 'without the flash':

Michael Woods - cost Chelsea £5m, released today after 0 appearances. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Really?

He scored 30 goals in 36 games in the 99/00 season in the Premiership.

He has failed to even score half of that since.

Seems to fit the 'flash in the pan' term pretty well to me.

Crazy.

He scored 35 and 25 in the championship the 2 previous years, and scored a very respectable 18 the year after in the premiership. You have to consider that he was playing for relegation or lower table premiership sides throughout his career. He had an outstanding year with Sunderland for sure but went on to be a very consistent player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement