Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash in the pan footballers - Freddy Adu Syndrome??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Neil Mellor anyone?

Was hyped up ridiculously after scoring bucket loads of goals in the youths and reserves and was then pawned off.

Still scoring goals at a lower level, but Pool fans I remember were comparing him to Shearer and Owen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

robbie keane
    20110128203738%21Trollface.png
    no in all seriousness hes a great player who should have won more medals
    ill also throw damien duff post chelsea never hit the heights mainly due to injury:(
    kleberson
    francesco coco
    richie partridge?
    baptista at arsenal
    jeffers jeffers jeffers jeffers
    mellor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Savo Milosevic
    Sergei Rebrov
    Steve Marlet
    Helder Postiga

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What was the name of that Scottish young lad back in the 90's that was at Ajax, he was going to set the world alight.

Peter Reid once rated Michael Reddy at £5mil.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Who was the Spanish player inter paid £17m (?) for back in the late 90's & he barely kicked a ball for them?

Peter Reid once rated Michael Reddy at £5mil.

If only that was his biggest mistake! He also signed Milton Núñez.
    Peter Reid, who was the manager when Núñez was brought to the Stadium of Light, thought that he had signed Núñez's strike partner at PAOK (Adolfo Valencia) and not Núñez himself which led to a brief stay only in England before returning to Nacional, after playing just one game for Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips say hi.

James Beattie also.

Rubbish - he scored sh*t loads of goals at Sunderland & at West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Helder Postiga at Spurs
    Nicolas Medina at Sunderland
    Jody Morris at Chelsea
    Jon Harley at Chelsea
    Vicente Matias Vuoso at Man City
    Bosko Balaban at Aston Villa
    Corrado Grabbi at Blackburn
    Ade Akinbiyi at Leicester
    Hamilton Ricard at Boro
    Agustin Delgado at Southampton
    Lilian Laslandes at Sunderland
    Tore Andre Flo at Sunderland
    Massimo Maccarone at Boro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hoki wrote: »
    Rubbish - he scored sh*t loads of goals at Sunderland & at West Brom.

James Beattie is a rubbish call too - four seasons in a row he scored in double figures for Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Daniel de Ridder - Was one of the star players in The Netherlands European Under 21's Championship winning team and played for the likes of Ajax & Celta Vigo. He was just released by Wigan at the age of 27 after playing 18 games in 3 years.

Sasa Curcic - After one successful season at Bolton he was sign by Aston Villa for £4m and his career went swiftly down hill from there. He is now a celebrity back in his native Serbia and appears in as many reality TV shows as he possibly can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Bosko Balaban at Aston Villa

He scored 52 goals in 79 games for Dinamo Zagreb before he signed for Villa then scored 47 goals in 83 games for Club Brugge after he left Villa, plus his goals for Croatia (he has 10 international goals) pretty much secured their place in the 2002 World Cup finals.

His career at Villa was shít but overall he was hardly a flash in the pan.

• Advertisement

Raekwon wrote: »
    He scored 52 goals in 79 games for Dinamo Zagreb before he signed for Villa then scored 47 goals in 83 games for Club Brugge after he left Villa, plus his goals for Croatia (he has 10 international goals) pretty much secured their place in the 2002 World Cup finals.

His career at Villa was shít but overall he was hardly a flash in the pan.
    Fair enough you could say not a flash in the pan, major flop at Villa though.

Patrick Kluivert is another whose career went steadily downhill.

246 career goals. Hollands record goal scorer. 6th top goalscorer in Barcas history.
    Yeah a real flash in the pan alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Who was the Spanish player inter paid £17m (?) for back in the late 90's & he barely kicked a ball for them?

Francisco Farinos from Valencia I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just because you have only seen him play during the end of his career, doesn't mean he was flash in the pan :rolleyes:

9 Seasons in double digits and 6 seasons with 20+ goals.

Add 40 international goals to that and I really don't see how you can say he's flash in the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Juan Sebastian Veron, ok was great before he went to United but from then on was pretty much muck.

Sergi Rebrov came under so much hype being half of the great strike partnership with Shevchenko but flopped masively as spurs.

Oh and lets not forget Andrei Shevchenko at Chelsea amazing for years moves to Chelsea never the same again.

Bruno Cheyrou branded the new Zidane on his move to Liverpool.

Jo at Man City what was it 23 million and hes done nothing of note at all.

Winston Bogarde sat at Chelsea for four years earning 40k a week and never getting a game.

No idea how you think these guys belong in this thread.

246 career goals. Hollands record goal scorer. 6th top goalscorer in Barcas history.
    Yeah a real flash in the pan alright :pac:
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Just because you have only seen him play during the end of his career, doesn't mean he was flash in the pan :rolleyes:

9 Seasons in double digits and 6 seasons with 20+ goals.

Add 40 international goals to that and I really don't see how you can say he's flash in the pan.

I have seen a good bit of him throughout his career and agree he was a top player. I never said he was a flash in the pan just that his career went badly downhill towards the end.

Yes the thread is about flash in the pan players so yes are correct he doesn't belong in here :).

No idea how you think these guys belong in this thread.

Agreed! Veron was world class during his spells for Sampdoria, Parma & Lazio. Likewise for Sheva during his spells for Kiev & Milan.
    People have short memories. It's not so long ago since Italy was the destination for the top players to head to apply their trade. When the best were still heading to Italy, these two were two of the best on show in the league!

Shevchenko, Veron, Kluivert etc. some people (myself included) have gotten a bit derailed from flash in the pan players to players who flopped after a particular move somewhere or suffered a loss of form.

• Advertisement

Francisco Farinos from Valencia I think?

Yep, that's the lad.
    That kinda money back then was colossal in todays terms. He completely flopped & became a journeyman for the rest of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

A few that spring to mind are Claudio Lopez, Ivan De Le Pena and Alvaro Recoba. De le Pena in particular looked some player but it all went down hill when he went to Lazio. I know he did well when he went back to Spain, but he never really reached the heights that were expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He made the money for Nunez back in a settlement with Uruguay Montevideo who provided false information to Peter Reid and Sunderland, so although he's the worst signing the club has ever made (although in purely monetary terms that honour would go to Flo) we still got our money back. The agent involved was allegedly a very dodgy character, to say the least.

I'll never forget him warming up on the touchline before coming on in a League Cup game though. He looked like a 6 year old and really didn't know what he was doing there :pac:

article-1218559-06B91684000005DC-602_224x332.jpg

He actually has quite a good record at international level though and a record of 1 in 4 at club level. Madness :pac:

Really?

He scored 30 goals in 36 games in the 99/00 season in the Premiership.

He has failed to even score half of that since.

Seems to fit the 'flash in the pan' term pretty well to me.

24 goals in 59 games for Watford, 113 goals in 208 games for Sunderland (including being the only English player ever to win the European golden boot), 22 goals in 64 games for a struggling Southampton side in the Premier League, 4 in 23 for Villa (I'll concede that he was poor there but his personal life was affecting him), 38 in 71 for West Brom and 19 in 69 for Birmingham when most were substitute appearances.

A total of 254 goals in 561 career games over a 15 year career certainly isn't criteria to be classed a ''flash in the pan''

If you can't appreciate that Kevin Phillips was a quality player you're either a Newcastle fan or blind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

David Bellion
    Kieran Richardson
    Klaas Jan Huntelaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ok ill hold my hands up on the Shevchenko one, and Veron

Gazika Mendieta could be included in this thread however admittedly he had 3 great seasons at Valencia but after that it all went downhill, I think 3 seasons qualifies a flash in the pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Christopher Wreh was a Flash in the Arsenal Pan for about 6 weeks in March and April 1998.

When Arsenal were on the road to winning their very first Premier League that season, in March they won four games in a row all 1-0, Wreh scoring the winner in two of those games. He then went on to score against Wimbledon in a 5-0 win.

He also scored the winner in another 1-0 win against Wolves in the FA Cup semi-final in April.

I suppose Alex Manninger is another FITP from Arsenal's 1998 double winning team as he kept a lot of clean sheets and everyone thought he would be Seaman's eventual replacement, but that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

That_Guy wrote: »
    Albert Luque.

What were we thinking?

Haha..I think we could have a full thread for our signings with the Toon.... Andreas Andersson anyone???

Gianluigi Lentini, after the big money move to Milan.

Only 13 Italy caps too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluigi_Lentini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Paully D wrote: »
    24 goals in 59 games for Watford, 113 goals in 208 games for Sunderland (including being the only English player ever to win the European golden boot), 22 goals in 64 games for a struggling Southampton side in the Premier League, 4 in 23 for Villa (I'll concede that he was poor there but his personal life was affecting him), 38 in 71 for West Brom and 19 in 69 for Birmingham when most were substitute appearances.

A total of 254 goals in 561 career games over a 15 year career certainly isn't criteria to be classed a ''flash in the pan''

If you can't appreciate that Kevin Phillips was a quality player you're either a Newcastle fan or blind.

He's scored plenty of goals yes, but most of them at Championship level.

My point is his 30 goals in 36 games in the EPL WAS a flash in the pan. He never came close to producing that level of performance at that level.

He's had a pretty solid career, but he never reached those heights again, ergo a flash in the pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Owen Hargreves........Graham Barrett...........Chris Casper he was highly thought of at old trafford and was England under 21 captain.........Jesper blomqvist (spelling)..............luke chadwick...............

And finally MASSIMO TAIBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Massimo Donati

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Owen Hargreves........Graham Barrett...........Chris Casper he was highly thought of at old trafford and was England under 21 captain.........Jesper blomqvist (spelling)..............luke chadwick...............

And finally MASSIMO TAIBI.

How is Owen Hargreaces a flash in the pan? He had nearly 150 games for Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Another player that comes to mind after seeing Chris Sutton mentioned is, Pierluigi Casiraghi. I remember Chelsea paying big money on him from Parma in the 90s and he struggled big time in England.. And also least we forget the highest payed reserve player ever in the PL... Winston Bogarde:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Another player that comes to mind after seeing Chris Sutton mentioned is, Pierluigi Casiraghi. I remember Chelsea paying big money on him from Parma in the 90s and he struggled big time in England.. And also least we forget the highest payed reserve player ever in the PL... Winston Bogarde:pac:

He did his cruciate ligament a few months after joining Chelsea and never played again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Casiraghi was not a flash in the pan, neither was Chris Sutton.

Didn't he get bad injury after just a few games that ended his career? I'm fairly sure Chelsea got some sort insurance pay out on him after he had to retire because of the injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Owen Hargreves........Graham Barrett...........Chris Casper he was highly thought of at old trafford and was England under 21 captain.........Jesper blomqvist (spelling)..............luke chadwick................

Barrett had a decent teenage career with Ireland youth teams and Arsenal reserves, but I don't think he ever did enough to be branded a flash.

He's scored plenty of goals yes, but most of them at Championship level.

My point is his 30 goals in 36 games in the EPL WAS a flash in the pan. He never came close to producing that level of performance at that level.

He's had a pretty solid career, but he never reached those heights again, ergo a flash in the pan.

So if a player scores 30 goals in the Premier League he has to produce that sort of record consistently to not be labelled a flash in the pan?

By that criteria Drogba's also a flash in the pan because he's only ever scored more than 25 goals in a Premier League season once in his career. The same goes for Wayne Rooney who's only ever scored more than 25 Premier League goals once in his career so far. Tevez has never done it, so what does that make him? Van Persie has never even reached 20 league goals :confused: And so on.....

The fact that Phillips even achieved such a record in a side who wasn't UEFA Cup standard means that he should be praised for it, not labelled as a flash in the pan because he never scored the same amount again. No other English player has ever won the European golden boot, ever!

FFS Kevin Phillips was not a flash in the pan. It's laughable to even suggest he was. He's widely regarded in footballing circles as being a quality player, even Alan Shearer has said as much. Don't let any of that get in the way of an anti-Sunderland rant though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Silenzi

and

Jason Lee aka he's got a pineapple on his head!

Gianluigi Lentini, after the big money move to Milan.

Only 13 Italy caps too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluigi_Lentini

Ah here, the lad was nearly killed in car crash, obviously he was never going to be the same player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How about that lad Carlos Alberto? Looked very good for Porto when they won the Champions League and scored in the final.

Lars Ricken to a degree, probably hyped up because of the goal he scored for Borussia Dortmund v Juventus in the 97 final and winner in the semi v Utd at Old Trafford.

David Connolly? Great international start and secured a big move to Holland. Remember him being tipped to beat Cascarinos record of 20 goals for us back in the day! Didn't do much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

clsmooth wrote: »
    How about that lad Carlos Alberto? Looked very good for Porto when they won the Champions League and scored in the final.

Lars Ricken to a degree, probably hyped up because of the goal he scored for Borussia Dortmund v Juventus in the 97 final and winner in the semi v Utd at Old Trafford.

David Connolly? Great international start and secured a big move to Holland. Remember him being tipped to beat Cascarinos record of 20 goals for us back in the day! Didn't do much else.

seems hes one of many who fight with a manager and are almost finished

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Alberto_de_Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

That_Guy wrote: »
    Albert Luque.

What were we thinking?

We weren't!!!!

Could also add Patrick Kluivert, Diego Cordone, Xisco, David Rozenhal, Jean Alain Boumsong, Olivier Bernard (although he did well for us), Celestine Babayaro, Michael Chopra, Stephen G'uivarch, Marcelino, Alain Goma and Silvio Maric as Newcastle players that flashed at previous clubs and then went downhill when they signed for us.

Worse things is, most of those guys were signed for alot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Torres..... :D

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Ah here, the lad was nearly killed in car crash, obviously he was never going to be the same player

He was only 24 when that incident occurred, so you think he would have enough time to still have a memorable career. Didn't happen though.

Can't say that Kevin Phillips is a flash in the pan as he has had a decent career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Lee Naylor. Was superb for a few months after joining Celtic but quickly went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

lee sharpe

zoran tosic (man utd,reported 12million) has since been sold to cska

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Amr Zaki. Was leading scorer in Prem for the first 3 months of 08/09 season including a cracking goal against Liverpool.

Now he is at an Egyptian club, and had a poor loan spell at Hull City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

A lot of people are being labelled a flash in the pan in this thread because they didn't live up to expectations when they moved to England. A lot of them had very good careers in other countries. Gigi Casiraghi won three European trophies and got almost 50 caps for Italy.

People mentioning Andriy Shevchenko is just bizarre.

Advertisement