Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wildflower seed packets & wildlife area

Options
  • 16-06-2011 11:05am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi just looking for a bit of advice;
    I'm thinking of leaving a small corner of my garden grow wild, its at the front of the house and borders a field and a hedge, so i'm hoping it will encourage wildlife. thing is if I just leave it uncut, the only things in the grass are dandelions, clover, daisies and buttercup. i was thinking about adding some wildflowers; would they grow if i just sprinkle the seeds over the area. most of the packets say to sow in finely raked soil - seems a bit silly to me:D We were also thinking of adding a small wildlife pond, as seen on Springwatch last week.
    Would this work and any other ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Hi just looking for a bit of advice;
    I'm thinking of leaving a small corner of my garden grow wild, its at the front of the house and borders a field and a hedge, so i'm hoping it will encourage wildlife. thing is if I just leave it uncut, the only things in the grass are dandelions, clover, daisies and buttercup. i was thinking about adding some wildflowers; would they grow if i just sprinkle the seeds over the area. most of the packets say to sow in finely raked soil - seems a bit silly to me:D We were also thinking of adding a small wildlife pond, as seen on Springwatch last week.
    Would this work and any other ideas or suggestions?

I just finished planting my 2nd wildflower area (c.100m2) in my garden after the success (colour/low maintenance- two cut per year!!:D) of last year’s one.

First I used weed killer on the area 1st (4 weeks gallup- similar to roundup) to kill the grass/weeds. Following this I turned and broke up the remaining sod. I let the rain/sun break it up for another week. I gave it a rough rake (not too fine) and planted the seed. I got the 1kg wildflower seed in an agri shop (unichem- the Ward, Co. Dublin) for €15.

I would say (I’m no professional) if you added wildflowers to an existing lawn with grass are dandelions, clover, daisies and buttercup that the wildflowers would not grow/flourish due to competition. If you have verges or raised areas in your garden which cannot be readily cut with a lawnmower I would recommend plant these with wildflowers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wildflowers tend to do better in poorer soil, afaik - they're too easily outcompeted by weeds otherwise.
    you can reduce the fertility of the soil by repeated cutting and lifting the cuttings and moving them elsewhere, and not fertilising the ground; obviously, this is a gradual process...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

the area I was planning to leave wild is quite poor soil, very boggy in winter and bone dry in summer, its also quite stony. I might just gravel it and put a bench and a small pond instead as its only about 6ft sq.
    thanks for the advice....

Advertisement