Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A House in the Republic of Ireland without using an Estate Agent

Options
  • 16-06-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm looking to buy a house in Ireland for myself and family, and have made many approachs over the past year or so for numerous properties yet am hampered at every turn by duplicitous and unprofessional estate agents/auctioneers. I hate having to deal with these middlemen, who are, in my opinion surplus to requirements.

Are their any websites that showcase properties for sale that bypass estate agents completely and give me (the buyer) the opportunity to contact the sellers directly without having to speak through these charlatans and gangsters that call themselves auctioneers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

If you see a for sale sign go to the door, knock on the door and talk to the people inside about your interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

http://www.house-for-sale-ireland.com/

[EDIT: The people selling their houses on this site seem to be in cloud cuckoo land in terms of price, at least in the Cork area]

Also try ads in local newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

What areas are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 powerjuggler

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    What areas are you looking for?

I'm open to anywhere really, but due to the amount of money we have, we are looking at the cheaper end of the market, so the more expensive such as near Dublin are not viable, probably around the middle of the country and to the west, Roscommon, Mayo, Cavan, Monaghan, sligo.
    I do want a 3/4 bedroom house, in the countryside within 2/3 miles of the nearest town with at least 1 acre of land attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If you want to avoid negotiating with auctioneers, then buy a new house. You should be able to negotiate the price directly with the developer. It used to be the case that there was a set price for new houses, but most things are up for negotiation these days.

It may be that the developer retains an auctioneer. If so, then you should still be able to negotiate directly with the developer, but you may be asked to pay a booking deposit to the auctioneer. Your contact with the auctioneer should be somewhat limited, in those circumstances.

Maybe you could consider buying a site and building your own house by direct labour, depending on where you intend to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Build your own house? Minimal involvement of any EA.

Seen houses with 1 acre of land for 55-65k around cork area. I presume site might be even cheaper.

Hard to say anything when we don't know your budget m8.

As or EA, there are good ones and there are bad ones. I wouldn't brush them all same color.

Build your own house? Minimal involvement of any EA.

Seen houses with 1 acre of land for 55-65k around cork area. I presume site might be even cheaper.

Hard to say anything when we don't know your budget m8.

As or EA, there are good ones and there are bad ones. I wouldn't brush them all same color.

Yes around about the 50k - 60k
    I'm sure that there must be good EA's lurking somewhere, but over the last couple of years I have not had the good fortune to come across one as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Where's Southern Ireland? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

you know what he means,there's no negative intention it's just misunderstanding don't be a d**k :P

I think your best bet is to pick a few areas,look at houses before hand online and then just go knocking on doors. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

lima wrote: »

Just south of Eastern and Western Ireland in the land of does not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

There's no such place as Southern Ireland. If you're planning on buying a house, at least get the name of the country right.

Christ almighty

There's no such place as Southern Ireland. If you're planning on buying a house, at least get the name of the country right.

Christ almighty

That's 2 d**ks on one thread. :p
    You ever seen a compass.
    Stop being so precious and pedantic.
    You know what I mean.
    IN IRELAND.
    NOT NORTHERN IRELAND
    BUT IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
    YA NUMPTY :D

title edited to avoid any further upset to these poor easily offended darlin's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

Just a suggestion, and I hope were not breaking any Boards-advertising laws but at The Good Agent here, we let you speak directly to the owner. Have a look at our site to see the properties available. If you like what you see, just give the number a call and you can be put directly through to the owner.

P.s. Best of luck finding your new home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You ever seen a compass.
    You know what I mean.
    IN IRELAND.
    NOT NORTHERN IRELAND

You ever open a history book? Using terms like the South or down south or in the South or the many other variations is grand but the term 'Southern Ireland' has alot of negative associations given that Southern Ireland was a country from 1921 to 1922 and is not accepted as a term for Ireland/Republic of Ireland.

While I accept you didn't mean it in a negative sense I wouldn't go around being so dismissive of people having issue with it. I think you'll find alot more people in Ireland are offended by the term then you think.

You ever seen a compass.
    You know what I mean.
    IN IRELAND.
    NOT NORTHERN IRELAND

No I don't what you mean.

This is a forum for educated adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Back to the actual topic please, and less of the name calling.
    lima wrote: »
    South of Northern Ireland.

Yes, the name is an anachronism and has connotations, but its better to be helpful than cheeky. You know that, but not everyone does.

Educate, not denigrate.

Victor wrote: »
    Back to the actual topic please, and less of the name calling.
    South of Northern Ireland.

Yes, the name is an anachronism and has connotations, but its better to be helpful than cheeky. You know that, but not everyone does.

Educate, not denigrate.

Might be more inclined to educate someone who doesn't call me a numpty and a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

so Tommy Tippie, were you out protesting against the Queen's visit?

so Tommy Tippie, we're you out protesting against the Queen's visit?

"we're"

christ almighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Hello, Try these websites to bypass estate agents:

www.privateseller.ie
    www.sellityourself.ie
    www.house-for-sale-ireland.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- back on target, no more abusive name calling etc- or you will be banned. I don't need a history lesson, revisionist or otherwise- nor does anyone else. Read the forum charter if you intend to post here. Remain civil towards your fellow forum users. If you don't- you will be given a holiday from posting in here.

Regards,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yes around about the 50k - 60k
    I'm sure that there must be good EA's lurking somewhere, but over the last couple of years I have not had the good fortune to come across one as of yet.

I'm not trying to be smart rather objective and honest powerjuggler, but I can't see you buying anything better than a run down fixer upper for that kind of money. You might be lucky and get your hands on something structurally sound but needing a hell of a lot of work to bring it up to modern standards...but that would probably be very best case scenario I reckon (if you are that lucky)

As for buying a site and going down the one off self build route as somebody else suggested...with a budget of 50k - 60k forget it right here and now I'd suggest.... Again no smartness or smuggness intended on my part so please don't take it that way. If you were to buy a half decent site (I appreciate that this is a cost which will vary enormously), cover associated legal and professional costs and get much further than breaking ground for that kind of money I'd be pretty shocked. The planning and construction forum provides much insightful information on self build costs/ obstacles and issues encountered etc. and is well worth spending a few hours on for anybody considering a self build.

Sorry I have provided no real feedback in terms of your initial question. All I can do is empathise with you in this regard. I have had my own fair share of dealing with dishonest, unprofessional and either forgetful or downright lazy Estate Agents. There is no doubt in my mind that there are some good guys out there but sadly experience is teaching me that they do seem to be fairly thin on the ground.

On a side note some of the asking prices for properties in my locality on those private seller websites appear to be in cloud cuckoo land

Advertisement