Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What computer to get my 71 year old mother?

• 16-06-2011 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

[Personal post]

Hey folks

Anyone got any advice on a simple computer to get my 71 year old mother. Maybe it's not even a computer! All she wants do do is

• Browse the internet
    • Look at photos on Facebook
    • Play Solitaire
    • Type some stories out
    The laptop she has - latest version of windows etc - is way too powerful for her and she gets very confused with anti-virus messages and error messages and the like. Unfortunately I don't have the time it would take to teach her and I doubt anyone else would have the patience.

All advice/links/suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would say a netbook or similar, but it may be too small and fiddly?

An iPad would be an option for simplicity, but with lack of a physical keyboard, it's probably not ideal either

Is it a desktop PC you're after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Ipad without a doubt, it's the easiest device to just use, no boot up time, no virii - if you really need to you can plug a keyboard into it, although the screen typing is just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My advice would be to buy an oldish PC from someone on adverts.ie and put Unbuntu on it. Its fast, uncomplicated and won't give her any stick about viruses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Get a cheap 2nd hand imac, there have been various windows based PCs in my folks house for the last twenty years and my parents have never gone near them - I got them a g4 imac about a year ago and they're both (70-ish) using and loving it... it even encouraged them to switch over to a digital camera :)

You'll never have to get another... 'what does this mean' phone call again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Basically the simplest thing that I could get her. A desktop might be too "big" - she's barely computer literate, just knows what she'd like to do.

I was thinking iPad but agreed on the keyboard and I'm not sure she'd be able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    virii

Viruses dude, viruses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Darragh wrote: »
    [Personal post]

Hey folks

Anyone got any advice on a simple computer to get my 71 year old mother. Maybe it's not even a computer! All she wants do do is

• Browse the internet
    • Look at photos on Facebook
    • Play Solitaire
    • Type some stories out
    The laptop she has - latest version of windows etc - is way too powerful for her and she gets very confused with anti-virus messages and error messages and the like. Unfortunately I don't have the time it would take to teach her and I doubt anyone else would have the patience.

All advice/links/suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Darragh

I am thinking about getting a Samsung Chromebook Series 5 for my dad. It's the first laptop to use google chrome OS, which is essentially just a web browser. It has a 8.5 battery life and instant on and no need to worry about viruses or software updates. It lacks internal storage and the OS lacks the functions of a full laptop but for my dad it's perfect as the only application he uses is a web browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Netbook screen is probably a bit small, I would go with a laptop or desktop.

The OS is the thing thats going to make it easy to use so I would suggest Easypeasy which is based on Linux, you can install it as an OS or just to run on top of windows.

Easy-Peasy-USB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I agree with Gone Drinking. Ubuntu would make using it very easy to use.
    I stumbled on some company a while back who built PC's for the elderly, customised ubuntu OS with like 6 buttons on the desktop, Email, internet and some other stuff, very simple. This is quite similar bit I don't think it's the same one. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/linux-for-seniors-kiwi-pc-builds-a-linux-pc-for-grandma-and-grandpa/5323
    I'll have to have a look and see if I can find it again for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Could wait for Chrome OS ..

Samsung S Chromebook

Prerequisite of broadband internet though.

DUH.. Posted too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

My 68 year old mother has no problem with the iPad, nor does my dad, my sister, or my 3 year old niece.

That said that modified version of Ubuntu might also be the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

How about the ipad and the optional keyboard http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC533Z/A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if money isn't an issue what about a macbook/macbook pro? the apps make it easy for non tech minded people to use without the hassle of touch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 uimhirahaon

Good general advice guys but lay off the keyboard with the iPad crack .. that's just mad .. getting her two devices instead of one when there's a perfectly good virtual keyboard on the iPad already. You're going to confuse the poor lady or worse piss her off! That is like giving her a motorbike and telling her she'll need to take her zimmerframe as well.

Best advice is get her an iPad on condition that she gives it back to you if she doesn't like it. Now that's what I call a win/win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

iMac!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sink wrote: »
    I am thinking about getting a Samsung Chromebook Series 5 for my dad. It's the first laptop to use google chrome OS, which is essentially just a web browser. It has a 8.5 battery life and instant on and no need to worry about viruses or software updates. It lacks internal storage and the OS lacks the functions of a full laptop but for my dad it's perfect as the only application he uses is a web browser.

Sorry, but this thing is shockingly overpowered for what it is...

I know you need simplicity, but come on.

Windows based system is not as complicated as it sounds.

If she can navigate Facebook, then she can do anything on standard pc. I am computer head since I was 11. I made Facebook account only last year, and it was complicated as hell! How can such simple thing can be so stupidly layout.

Buy her cheap laptop. Maybe even second hand one. Turn off all auto updates after you did full reinstall and up to date patching. Delete everything that is not needed on desktop. Make shortcuts on desktop to her favourite websites. Picture folders. Job done.

It will take some effort ( for some ) to do this, but you wont spend a fortune on useless things and in the end of the day it will be fully working laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sorry, but this thing is shockingly overpowered for what it is...

I know you need simplicity, but come on.

Windows based system is not as complicated as it sounds.

If she can navigate Facebook, then she can do anything on standard pc. I am computer head since I was 11. I made Facebook account only last year, and it was complicated as hell! How can such simple thing can be so stupidly layout.

Buy her cheap laptop. Maybe even second hand one. Turn off all auto updates after you did full reinstall and up to date patching. Delete everything that is not needed on desktop. Make shortcuts on desktop to her favourite websites. Picture folders. Job done.

It will take some effort ( for some ) to do this, but you wont spend a fortune on useless things and in the end of the day it will be fully working laptop.

My dad is pretty tech illiterate. He likes things as simple to use as a biro. He has an 8 year old phone because it's the only one he knows how to use. He bought a new TV 4 years ago and still hasn't figured out how to switch between the satellite and DVD player.

He has a laptop with windows XP that's now 8 years old and is crashing BSOD due to a hardware fault. It took me an age to teach him how to use the old one and I was living at home with him, now he won't have me close at hand to provide IT support. The start menu is empty as he does not use anything other than firefox, he wouldn't even know where to go to launch another application. He has a tendency to just click ok on every popup without reading it and so installs every toolbar, addon and free anti virus software under the sun.

I want something that is a simple as possible to use and will not rely on me having to fix and maintain it every few weeks, install updates, run virus scans etc,. Chromebook pretty much fits the bill.

The thing is that people who are used to using computers are not the best people to give advice about what to get a 71 year old computer virgin. Think cars. If you were buying her a car what would she want. Simple, reliable, starts first time? Imagine getting the following calls daily from your mother. 'My car won't start'; 'my car has a virus what will I do'; 'I'm trying to overtake someone and all I'm getting is an egg timer'; 'I'm getting a message from my car that I should update the engine'. So you tell her ... 'is the key in the ignition, is there petrol in the tank, ok turn it off and back on again' and she replies 'It refuses to turn off'. What would she do - she'd get the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

An iPad would be perfect for her. Bar dropping them, they are basically idiot-proof. There's nothing you can really do wrong with them that can't be easily fixed. Just get Apple's bluetooth keyboard.

Other than that, I would also recommend a Mac. OS X Lion is out next month and will have many user-friendly features inspired by the iPhone/iPad. She won't have to worry about maintenance/viruses, and OS X is very reliable and intuitive to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Remember to factor in the amount of phonecalls you are going to get when she can't figure something out.

iPad all the way I reckon, least opportunity for confusion.

I agree. Get her an iPad or else get her an iPad failing that get her an iPad and if all else fails get her an iPad. And if you're still not sure then get her an iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I had to set up a computer for an old person this was how I did it.
    - Installed Google chrome

Extensions :
    Hover Zoom(Good for when your browsing pictures on the web) & AdBlock

Got rid of all the bloatware on the computer.
    Uninstalled any commercial anti-virus.
    Installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(unticked all the notifications) & Microsoft Security Essentials

Deleted all the icons & shortcuts on that were on the desktop

Made a few shorts cuts :
    Google
    Facebook
    Word
    Email
    On the desktop click "ctrl + roll up on the mouse wheel" to make the icons massive.

Unticked "Check for updates on the computer" for the majority of the programs.

I go over now and again to check everything is aright with the computer and update everything.

Old people don't really get viruses on the computer because the don't download anything.

I always say don't worry about getting a viruses , mess around with the computer as much as you want. Computers are basically impossible to break (which is true), I think old people hear the word virus and get worried about breaking the computer, a simple system restore can fix anything

If she's using window 7

v0fo3.jpg

If theres any problems just tell here to click that button.

I wouldn't be too gone on the iPad to be honest.
    Old people tend to need large screens. Fom my observations a keyboard is essential , you always see them look at the keyboard, click a key, then at the screen to see if they clicked the right key(They sort of the need the physical action to make it feel that they did something). As well I think they prefer sitting at a table while using the computer.

I don't know how much an iPad weighs but even small weights held for long periods of time get heavy

If windows is too still too complicated I'd say get linux mint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My dad is pretty tech illiterate. He likes things as simple to use as a biro. He has an 8 year old phone because it's the only one he knows how to use. He bought a new TV 4 years ago and still hasn't figured out how to switch between the satellite and DVD player.

He has a laptop with windows XP that's now 8 years old and is crashing BSOD due to a hardware fault. It took me an age to teach him how to use the old one and I was living at home with him, now he won't have me close at hand to provide IT support. The start menu is empty as he does not use anything other than firefox, he wouldn't even know where to go to launch another application. He has a tendency to just click ok on every popup without reading it and so installs every toolbar, addon and free anti virus software under the sun.

I want something that is a simple as possible to use and will not rely on me having to fix and maintain it every few weeks, install updates, run virus scans etc,. Chromebook pretty much fits the bill.

Well then I will give a vote for iPad too, but good god not that yoke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Linux mint It's free and has Firefox(add the adblock extension and none of them ads will appear), similar to windows. All them tool bars won't work because they don't run on linux. You can set it so every time you install new software you have to enter a password so you know if something is getting installed and it's really quick.

Linux Mint Desktop

You can run it from the disc before you install it.

Advertisement