Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starcraft.ie 3rd Lan! 2nd July! in XGC Dublin -Signup here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Double Elimination and BO1 has been the format of all the other LANs. Stupid changing it now. Doing BO3 is just not viable for a 12 hour event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

right, the map pool system, i dont really play 1v1 too often, so please, feel free to come up with another map pool, and we can use that one.

if you dont like the bo1 system, then dont go. there is no way to fit a 40 player 1v1 tournament in with best of 3.

if you get cannon'd, cheese'd, or what ever in your game and you end up in the losers bracket and it happens again, then tough shít. better luck next time.

sorry to be blunt, but i answer about 20 of the same question at every lan, and via pm before every lan, and there's nothing i can do about it unless people want to play 2-3 rounds of the 1v1 tournament BEFORE going to the lan.

as for the "best players knocking each other out" and "and bad players can get further than they should"

WTF???

so we should set the tournament up so the good players never meet each other until near the end is that it?

well **** no. last lan vanyd (a diamond player, obviously not as good as a masters player.....) did amazingly well, got lucky in his match ups, and finished in the top 6 if i recall correctly.

so your saying that this should not be allowed?

Funky wrote: »
    Yea last time scrap was meant to be the final too but we just agreed on a diff map since it's shite. I think he has a seeding system but not sure if it only counts people who've played at it before.

the seeding system will be introduced soon, just dont have the time for it right now with work.

however, for the next lan, it will be in place.

The Map Pool is awesome. I like the fact that Scrap is being used as the opening map of the final because it's not as common these days, because of the obvious strengths it provides to certain races and builds, which will make it really interesting. Considering the final is BO5 the opening map will decide how creative and innovative people can be in unfamiliar territories. The idea of the LAN is not to give out prize money (it's Ireland) but to get together and enjoy a night out. It's hardly fair throwing in Bronze players with all the Masters but they don't say anything about it. It's the same for the maps Scrap is fun to play on and will show who's able to adapt to certain situations. Don't remove it!

Other than that the Bo1 and Double Elimination has been proven to be the best way to work the LAN in the time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

The Map Pool is awesome. I like the .... obvious strengths it provides to certain races
    of course you do you're protoss
    edit: or terran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Scrap is a horrible map.

Yep, the whole 2 games in my life I've ever played as them. Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

well **** no. last lan vanyd (a diamond player, obviously not as good as a masters player.....) did amazingly well, got lucky in his match ups, and finished in the top 6 if i recall correctly.

Im plat, I got knocked down to loser bracket by a bronze in the first round and worked my way up to face funky, had 2 good games, and was extremly close getting the second game off him but made 1 stupid mistake.

holy **** sinister race changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

And I took 4th. XD

Man, zerg imba! :D

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    Im plat, I got knocked down to loser bracket by a bronze in the first round and worked my way up to face funky, had 2 good games, and was extremly close getting the second game off him but made 1 stupid mistake.

there ya go so, is a plat player not allowed to progress so well?

should we set up seedings so that the "so called good players" dont have to waste their time playing the "so called lesser players"?

fúck that. everyone has an equal chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NighTxX

Xel'Naga Caverns
    MLG Metalopolis
    MLG Shattered Temple
    Shakuras Plateau
    Tal'Darim Altar
    GSL Dual Sight
    GSL Crevasse
    GSL Terminus
    GSL Xel'Naga Fortress
    Final: Either Meta or Xel'Naga

NighTxX wrote: »
    Xel'Naga Caverns
    MLG Metalopolis
    MLG Shattered Temple
    Shakuras Plateau
    Tal'Darim Altar
    GSL Dual Sight
    GSL Crevasse
    GSL Terminus
    GSL Xel'Naga Fortress

imo not much people would have played dual site, crossfire would be a bit better for people playing on it.

And guys this is a fun LAN, if you want a major tournamnet play online or go to a bigger LAN in uk/europe.

Columc wrote: »
    imo not much people would have played dual site, crossfire would be a bit better for people playing on it.

And guys this is a fun LAN, if you want a major tournamnet play online or go to a bigger LAN in uk/europe.

Crossfire has positional imbalances

And you/someone said if someone wanted to give a map pool they could... so i did...

EDIT:Also every single person in this thread who plays starcraft once a month knows that scrap station is a horrible horrible horrible map.

Crossfire has positional imbalances

And you/someone said if someone wanted to give a map pool they could... so i did...

EDIT:Also every single person in this thread who plays starcraft once a month knows that scrap station is a horrible horrible horrible map.

Never said SS wasnt a horrible map, i compelty agree that it shouldnt be put into the map pool.

My only concern is players having a major advantage over other players due to never playing DS befor, But i guess not having it as a starter map should be fine(since losers pick in the Bo3 games)

but ya the map pool you posted seems like the standard map pool going around these days.

As long as the mlg versions of the maps are used, im okay with that, as close pos is horrifically unfair for zerg players.
    Also, Crossfire is also terribad for z tt

Xel'Naga Caverns
    MLG Metalopolis
    MLG Shattered Temple
    Shakuras Plateau
    Gsl Tal'Darim Altar
    GSL Crevasse
    GSL Terminus
    GSL Xel'Naga Fortress

This, i just edited out dual sight, and changed taldarim to the gsl; version, as is doesnt have destructible rocks, and no low ground behind the 3rd (as it is very exploitable for tvz)

This, i just edited out dual sight, and changed taldarim to the gsl; version, as is doesnt have destructible rocks, and no low ground behind the 3rd (as it is very exploitable for tvz)

I disagree the ladder version is better means zerg dont get a free third base instantly.

I disagree the ladder version is better means zerg dont get a free third base instantly.

the 3rd base only has one gas. normally i skip this base altogether as zerg, the only reason this has been done is to prevent protoss turtling on 3bases with all 6 gas, as turtle protoss on this map is far too easy ,and protoss have an obscene win ratio v zerg on this map.

also, rocks on the 3rd give zerg an unfair disadvantage, as they need to make a considerable army in the early game to kill the rocks, so this actually hurts the zerg eco more than help.

• Advertisement

the 3rd base only has one gas. normally i skip this base altogether as zerg, the only reason this has been done is to prevent protoss turtling on 3bases with all 6 gas, as turtle protoss on this map is far too easy ,and protoss have an obscene win ratio v zerg on this map.

Yeah then when a terran gets cross positions vs a zerg he may as well leave the game at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull out of the LAN. I want to give other people a chance at winning for once... ahem. Yeah I gotta mind my dog that night, but I'll be playing SC2 at home anyway.

Yeah then when a terran gets cross positions vs a zerg he may as well leave the game at the beginning.

Terran 3 bases >zerg 6 bases.
    also, terran have no right to cry about maps, zerg have hadd to put up with xel naga and close position since beta.

Terran 3 bases >zerg 6 bases.
    also, terran have no right to cry about maps, zerg have hadd to put up with xel naga and close position since beta.

i lol'd you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

i lol'd you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

of course,
    'taldarim is imba cos my 2base all-ins dont always workl!''
    learn to macro bro

of course,
    'taldarim is imba cos my 2base all-ins dont always workl!''
    learn to macro bro

Well you see, with doing an all in my macro is still probably better than yours.

• Advertisement

Well you see, with doing an all in my macro is still probably better than yours.
    If it is, i commend you .
    But i highly doubt it.

not trying to be a backseat mod her, but both of ye untangle your panties via PM.

this is a signup thread.

agreed.

any more discussion that does not revolve around the lan in this thread will be deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bringing things back on topic, what time should those of us bringing a machine and maybe looking to have a beverage or 2 before we start arrive at? Will it be OK to leave our machines in XGC whilst we imb(a)ibe ;) said beverages?

Also, since I'm a pretty rubbish player, I will be happy to take names for 4v4 MONOBATTLES after we get through a few of the opening rounds and have time to get them up and running. That'll leave Colum to get on with the actual comp whilst we just dick about and have a laugh.

you can drop your machine in anytime, and leave it upstairs. they have cctv, and are very nice about people leaving pc/s etc upstairs.

just mention your there for the lan and its good.

usually we meet in the grand social about 8-8:30

• Advertisement

Micklup Darkpadraig Lawrencium and NighT are all no longer going.

Tried booking the tickets 4hours late and it is 40 pounds for each of us.

EDIT: Well.... i look at the "thanks from" at the bottom. Guess we will find some way to turn up so that particular person can not win.

^ also I need to hear the dulcet tones of the north!

Pacwac not coming? Our ZvPs were pretty epic last time... :'(

Oh, and "Thanks" for coming, always good to have more masters players!

Sadly not he had the worst excuse i have ever heard as well!

Ah well, gl getting down here anyway, make sure to stay long enough to get a real title shot. ;)

so ye guys in or out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

boards.ie name: seanbmc
    Battle.net name:Strobe
    Battle.net ID: 888
    Where you are travelling from: Dublin
    Are you over 18: Yes
    Will you attend the beers before hand: Yes
    Are you bringing a PC/Laptop: Laptop
    Are you bringing mouse/kb/headset: Headset, keyboard, mouse.
    Are you bringing anyone NOT on boards.ie (friends etc): Nope
    Do you have any special requirements (either medical, disabilities etc): Nope
    Do you need any help arranging travel arrangements for the LAN: Nope

Edit: Will I be able to access one of the monitors in the center? My laptop screen broke a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 N0mz

boards.ie name: N0mz
    Battle.net name: Nom
    Battle.net ID: 170
    Where you are travelling from: Dublin 5
    Are you over 18: Yes
    Will you attend the beers before hand: Yes
    Are you bringing a PC/Laptop: Yes, laptop
    Are you bringing mouse/kb/headset: Mouse
    Are you bringing anyone NOT on boards.ie (friends etc): No
    Do you have any special requirements (either medical, disabilities etc): No
    Do you need any help arranging travel arrangements for the LAN: No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

EDIT: Well.... i look at the "thanks from" at the bottom. Guess we will find some way to turn up so that particular person can not win.
    Belfast? That's only about 20 euro return on the bus, no booking required (though it's probably cheaper to book online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SteamySashimi

• boards.ie name: SteamySashimi
    • Battle.net name: Sashimi
    • Battle.net ID: 505
    • Where you are travelling from: Dublin
    • Are you over 18: yup
    • Will you attend the beers before hand: Not sure yet
    • Are you bringing a PC/Laptop: Laptop
    • Are you bringing mouse/kb/headset: Mouse
    • Are you bringing anyone NOT on boards.ie (friends etc): No
    • Do you have any special requirements (either medical, disabilities etc): Nope
    • Do you need any help arranging travel arrangements for the LAN: Nope

Hard luck lads, hopefully you can organize something in advance for the next one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

I am now pretty sure I will be there. Like 80% or basically if there is no emergency happening at work.

Can I have an update on the map pool? RM just say your final word please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

Can't go, RL **** to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 himwarrior

I'm unable to make it :( Sorry. I only hope a terran wins it ^^ GL all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Not looking good at the moment, need to work but I may be off in time to make it in to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Tis getting closer, see y'all in bout 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Good luck guys, raging I can't make it.

6 pool ftw!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shred 777

Unable to make it unfortunatelly, my place is now open.

Sorry guys =[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Is there room for more non-byopc people? I said i would bring my own when i signed earlier but I'm after having some drinks and can't drive in now.

Shred777 just dropped, so definitely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

cool see you all in the pub then!

Advertisement