Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything I can do?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there is anything at all I can do about this.

A new shop is being outfitted underneath where I live. The noise of drilling and banging is relentless from 8.30am to approximately 5pm every evening.

I contacted my management company who have said they have asked the shop concerned to send out a letter detailing what exactly is going on.

Am I expected to put up with this for weeks on end? I really don't know if I can live here much longer while it is going on. It is literally driving me crazy.

I'm actually getting really irritated and don't think anyone should be expected to live through this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's probably a condition of the planning permission that the work can only be done within certain hours. 8.30 to 5 doesn't seem too unreasonable to be honest.

I wouldn't imagine that you can do much about it as long as the noise is reasonable. I take it you're there all day if it's getting to you this much. They can't go on too much longer though, take heart in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

It's probably a condition of the planning permission that the work can only be done within certain hours. 8.30 to 5 doesn't seem too unreasonable to be honest.

I wouldn't imagine that you can do much about it as long as the noise is reasonable. I take it you're there all day if it's getting to you this much. They can't go on too much longer though, take heart in that.

Yes, I seriously could cry out of frustration. I am home all day and it is a major store being built in a shopping centre. It is going to be weeks at least.

I don't know how much more I can take of this :( It's really loud - the banging literally shakes the place and the drilling is so loud and constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's just your bad luck that you're home during the daytime. The work has to be done during some part of the day and if it happened at night, it would cause far more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You are lucky. It's 8-5 and just a shop.

When I lived in apartment, they were doing all underground piping on main road outside my windows. It was heavy machinery from earliest in the morning till 6-8 in the evening. I work all weekends and off during weekdays. So I allways had that noise. I could not even hear telly almost on full blast.

I know your frustration, but feck all you can do about it now.

On the ather note: shouldn't you get some sort of notice about work done?

You are lucky. It's 8-5 and just a shop.

When I lived in apartment, they were doing all underground piping on main road outside my windows. It was heavy machinery from earliest in the morning till 6-8 in the evening. I work all weekends and off during weekdays. So I allways had that noise. I could not even hear telly almost on full blast.

I know your frustration, but feck all you can do about it now.

On the ather note: shouldn't you get some sort of notice about work done?

Hi there

Well, apparently I will be getting a letter along with all the other residents about what is going on. But that is only because I rang the complex and queried it :rolleyes:

I know it is just my bad luck, but God, it is so awful. I feel like my body is shaking all the time from it.

I'll just have to suck it up, I suppose. Nothing else I can do.

God love you living through what you had to.. I should count my blessings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hi there

Well, apparently I will be getting a letter along with all the other residents about what is going on. But that is only because I rang the complex and queried it :rolleyes:

I know it is just my bad luck, but God, it is so awful. I feel like my body is shaking all the time from it.

I'll just have to suck it up, I suppose. Nothing else I can do.

God love you living through what you had to.. I should count my blessings :D

well atleast you should have a date when it will be finished. you will mark that day as your second birthday. trust me.

as for my situation, it was getting so bad, that i was just shouting " AAAAaaaaaaa" like a madman and still could barely hear myself! going to work was actuolly something to be looking forward. i was going mad little by little.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Does the building work go on at weekends? if so, I would try to bandy together with a few other residents to ask them to stop, maybe say you are content with them working 8-5 weekdays but no weekends.
    Other than that, there is not much you can do, invest in good headphones or earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

are you working from home? than it's really annoying.

or are you unemployed and have just time on your hands? why don't you go out then, library, museum, long walks, stopping for a coffee... don't know why you have to be inside all the time but if not I think you should make the most of it, enjoy the summer outside and don't stress yourself out about it that much.

there are far worse things in life and the good thing keep in mind it's defo not lasting forever. so no end of life:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they have to do it some time, just be glad they don't start earlier, I've been woken by roadworks at 7am

also sounds like they're work to get it done aqap, just grin and bear it

AAArrrrrgggghhhh!!!

God, am slowly losing the will.

I am not working at the moment so am stuck at home. I can go for walks when the weather is OK, but I can't really be out walking around 8 hours a day.

I did not receive a letter in my postbox, just a very short not posted on the apartment lifts saying how much of an asset the new shop will be to the centre and to please understand. :rolleyes:

FFS!!!

Sorry, just have to vent as i can't remember the last time I was so agitated.

I was away at the weekend so not sure if the works were going on then.

Sorry to be moaning but I really seriously am losing it at this point. My place is vibrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

I know its not pleasant but I'm sure the noisy phase of the work will be over soon enough.They will be keen to get the shop open so the builders won't be hanging around.
    Had the same issue earlier with someone drilling in the apt above.
    It's amazing what you notice when you're not working :)

mvt wrote: »
    I know its not pleasant but I'm sure the noisy phase of the work will be over soon enough.They will be keen to get the shop open so the builders won't be hanging around.
    Had the same issue earlier with someone drilling in the apt above.
    It's amazing what you notice when you're not working :)

I know!!! I cannot wait for it all to be over to have some peace again.

I emailed the management company to get some kind of date as to when the major building work will be completed. That day can't come soon enough I tell you.

Advertisement