Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Physics HL 2011 * HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

• 10-06-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anybody else worried about the paper or is it just me? :D
    Also any predictions?

What did you think of the paper? 73 votes

Delighted with it!!!
    0% 0 votes
    It was easy to some extent.
    17% 13 votes
    Struggled with it.
    42% 31 votes
    Ridiculously difficult.
    39% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm a little bit worried. I'm fairly weak on electricity and I wasted too much time studying it and didn't put as much work into anything else. I'm still not confident that I could answer on it either :(
    I'm just freaking out that they could combine the options with Q11. Particle physics and Q11 are the ones I'm most confident about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll worry about it next weekend tbh! I'll probably have a look over waves and wave motion, particle physics and nuclear physics the weekend before. Electricity if I've time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Aoifums wrote: »
    I'm a little bit worried. I'm fairly weak on electricity and I wasted too much time studying it and didn't put as much work into anything else. I'm still not confident that I could answer on it either :(
    I'm just freaking out that they could combine the options with Q11. Particle physics and Q11 are the ones I'm most confident about.

You can leave Electricity out all together if you're confident on all of the other topics. You still need to know the experiments for it though. I'm taking the option of leaving electricity alone completly as it just wrecks my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

You can leave Electricity out all together if you're confident on all of the other topics. You still need to know the experiments for it though. I'm taking the option of leaving electricity alone completly as it just wrecks my head.

I can't. I'm a little shaky on parts of mechanics too :rolleyes: Kicking myself for not perfecting it in fifth year.
    Ah well, I have three and a half days to go over a subject and a half. I should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

Anyone have any predictions or ideas on what is to come up this year [HL] not looking for mad points just a C would suffice.

Any ideas & tips on getting the most marks:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

Numb.Muzik wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions or ideas on what is to come up this year [HL] not looking for mad points just a C would suffice.

Any ideas & tips on getting the most marks:D

I would be happy to pass... My teacher is really horrible at teaching physics. He only started teaching physics 2 years ago and last year everybody that did honours in his class failed the exam. Im really worried about it because I failed the pre and I need to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Well I've all the mandatory expirements learned so thats section A covered (thank fook). For section B I'm going over Modern Physics, Electricity, Light and Waves and Forces well. That should have me covered enough. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

Dbstf wrote: »
    I would be happy to pass... My teacher is really horrible at teaching physics. He only started teaching physics 2 years ago and last year everybody that did honours in his class failed the exam. Im really worried about it because I failed the pre and I need to pass it.

Basically identical to myself :/

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Apparently conservation of momentum is likely to come up as well as measurement of speed of sound in air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ADeVoy

Hmm looking through the papers myself I'd be keen to take a look at measuring the wavelength of monochromatic light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yeah, an experiment on sound looks likely. Probably something with trolleys and ticker tape for the mechanics section in the experiments.

Presumably a more "down-to-earth" question for mechanics in Section B? As in, linear/circular motion rather than gravity/planets?

Walton-Cockcroft experiment in particle physics?

Also, maybe Joule's Law or resistivity of a wire in experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

You should all check out Boyle's Law experiment. Hasn't been up since 2003. We all thought it was certain last year because our teacher never shut up about it.
    Here's an exact quote:

"Now lads, if Boyle's Law was to come up it'd be the exact same as every other boyle's law question. Boyle's law is boyle's law and you can't change boyle's law because boyle's law is boyle's law and it will be the same as every other time boyle's law came up."

By the amount of times he said Boyle's Law in that sentence we assumed he knew some kind of inside info :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

You should all check out Boyle's Law experiment. Hasn't been up since 2003. We all thought it was certain last year because our teacher never shut up about it.
    Here's an exact quote:

"Now lads, if Boyle's Law was to come up it'd be the exact same as every other boyle's law question. Boyle's law is boyle's law and you can't change boyle's law because boyle's law is boyle's law and it will be the same as every other time boyle's law came up."

By the amount of times he said Boyle's Law in that sentence we assumed he knew some kind of inside info :cool:

But did it come up then!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

doctorg wrote: »
    But did it come up then!! :P
    Hasn't been up since 2003.

We all thought it was certain last year ...
    *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

Would i be crazy to do all the experiments but to leave out electricity and mechanics. Just couldnt be bothered with that stuff. like u'd get 4 questions outta the short questions,the 4 parts q, the option question and light/waves/nuclear. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

*cough*

Hence the ' :P '

*cough* :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

danoboy254, there's bound to be an experiment on mechanics AND on electricity, you can't really afford leaving out both of them, as you have to do three experiment questions.

But for Section B, you could get away with it, depends on the questions. Sometimes electricity ties in with magnetism as a separate question, so if they mix things up you might be in trouble. And by the looks of it, the SEC are really into lumping loadsa sections into one question this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mahon93

danoboy254 wrote: »
    Would i be crazy to do all the experiments but to leave out electricity and mechanics. Just couldnt be bothered with that stuff. like u'd get 4 questions outta the short questions,the 4 parts q, the option question and light/waves/nuclear. No?

DONT LEAVE OUT ELECTRICITY.

takes up approx 2.5 of the Section B questions each year, it the section worth revising the most if you ask me. The questions are generally straight-forward. Leave out mechanics if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Mechanics is the most important topic because it ties in with so many other chapters..

I'm studying for section A

-Mechanics
    -Light and wave motion
    -Heat
    -Nuclear Physics
    -Particle physics

I asked my teacher could I leave out electricity and she said that i'm restricting myself to only being able to answer 6 questions out of 8 but that If I study the other chapters really well I should be fine...

This is how I think it'l be this year!

Question 5 - easy
    Qusstion 6 - Mechanics
    Qustions 7 - Light/wave motion
    Question 8 - Nuclear physics
    Question 9 - Resistance
    Question 10 - Particle Physics
    Question 11 - Circuits in the home
    Question 12
    a - Mechanics
    b - Magnetism
    c - Electrostatics
    d - Radioactivity

I think this year's paper should be good.. fingers crossed.. my teacher thinks different to me.. so maybe I should be listening more to her.. :P She thinks theres gonna be a big question this year on heat, magnetism and momentum.. so i'm looking over heat and momentum.. but i'm leaving out magnetism.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Experiments:

Boyle's Law
    Calibration of a thermometer
    Speed of sound in air
    Metallic conductor (variation of current...)

Also study Momentum, Joule's law and Frequency of a strenched string with length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Hey is the physics exam going to be different in any way because of the new math tables came out ? my teacher last year said that they aren't going to give them "tips" at the end of the question, the constants etc he meant.

I don't believe it really .. so is that true ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Areq wrote: »
    Hey is the physics exam going to be different in any way because of the new math tables came out ? my teacher last year said that they aren't going to give them "tips" at the end of the question, the constants etc he meant.

I don't believe it really .. so is that true ?:confused:

The constants are in the log tables but the variables will be at the end of the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LimboPanto

I'm feeling way in over my head with Higher Physics. Got a D1 in the mocks, really did my best to put the work in since then, but with all the other subjects and exams, I've sort of let it slip for the past two weeks. It's a bit late now to attempt to go through the whole textbook, and I'm at a total loss as to how I should make use of the three days I have before the exam. Any tips, advice, help out there? Thanks in advance =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I found Exam Edge for Physics a great help when revising.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ✭✭kevmcdonnell

just a heads up for people revising for the physics exam, excellent website at http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/ for revision notes with all relevent leaving cert questions and answers at the end of each question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

I got an A2 in the mocks. Love how my worst 2 questions were the short questions and the mechanics question, even though I do Applied Maths... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Highest in my class for the mock was 55% - me! All I did was learn the definitions and glanced at a few experiments. To be fair chemistry helped a lot with the radioactivity stuff....

Worried now though, I want a B2 at least (damn Queens and their obsession with B2s) and I havent done anything really since the mock. My teacher is up on cloud nine, reckons we'll go up 2 grades from the mock - ie an A for me. Unlikely to say the least!

Can I leave out last years experiments? Any other good tips as to what might come up? My teacher is obsessed with electricy, says it's "easy" so it's all he talks about, doesnt believe in predictions :/

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

I've got my money on magnetism to come up. Hasn't appeared for 2 years, which is crazy seeing as it usually comes up in some shape or form every year. The questions aren't particularly difficult, just wordy.

And know your option and modern physics well, they can be absolute gifts in the middle of a tough exam

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

I'm just doing an experiment question now from my mocks, it's measuring the speed of sound in air with the glass tube.
    They give values for frequency and length and ask to draw a graph, then to calculate the speed of sound in air using the graph.:confused:

Do I need to change anything first before plotting??
    How do you calculate the speed using the graph??
    Really think something like this will come up.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

c = f*4(l + 0.3*d)

OR:

wavelength = 4(l + 0.3*d)

Graph fq vs 1/(wavelength).
    fq - x-axis
    1/wavelength - y-axis
    c = fl

Slope = 1/c

Advertisement