Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Physics HL 2011 * HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Hollzy, they're on pages 46 and 47 in the log tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Thanks =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

So screwed for this.....Would it be worth attempting the paper (got 38% in the mocks and dont see myself improving too much on this) or just asking for the ordinary level? They should have spares for the ordinary level, right? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Username Invalid

Experiment: Boyles Law, Monochromatic Light, Speed of Sound in Air and Joule's Law.

Q6: Momentum/SHM

A resistance question somewhere.

Cockroft and Walton.

Electromagnatism.

Would they be a good bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Experiment: Boyles Law, Monochromatic Light, Speed of Sound in Air and Joule's Law.

Q6: Momentum/SHM

A resistance question somewhere.

Cockroft and Walton.

Electromagnatism.

Would they be a good bet?

Ya, they look fairly good tbh, if that came up i'd be delighted! Especially Q6:D
    Hate those satellite questions, but they seem to come up every second year so hopefully it'll be a fairly normal mechanics question.

Cockroft and Walton are due.

Haven't asked electromagnetism in a while so that's defo worth a look.

Why is everyone ignoring Boyle's law though?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I've covered Heat, Light, Partical Physics, half of Modern and my first Electricity. I feel so bloody unprepared. I just corrected a bunch of exam questions and I'm making really stupid mistakes in a lot of them.
    I'm going to try get Sound covered after dinner and move onto Mechanics if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Really thinking of dropping down.....anyone got any thoughts on this?

I'm just pretty bad with calculations and shizz....ended up just barely failing the mock...so doesn't boost confidence!
    So long as you don't need the points, its a no-brainer, like you don't want to risk a fail if you don't have to. I'm still doing higher meself, but a few of my friends dropped after the mocks and they found the ordinary level paper fairly easy after doing higher for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    So long as you don't need the points, its a no-brainer, like you don't want to risk a fail if you don't have to. I'm still doing higher meself, but a few of my friends dropped after the mocks and they found the ordinary level paper fairly easy after doing higher for so long.

Though a lot would argue that the gap between Higher and Ordinary level Physics is very narrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Not in terms of the maths involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Though a lot would argue that the gap between Higher and Ordinary level Physics is very narrow!
    In physics? 0_o

I wouldn't have thought so, though I stress that it's not a subject I would know much about.

• Advertisement

In physics? 0_o

I wouldn't have thought so, though I stress that it's not a subject I would know much about.

Yeah, that's what most people I've talked to would say, including my teacher. Looking at the papers as well there's not a stark difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Anyone I know that dropped down found it a fair bit easier, but I don't really know myself I suppose... even so, if you're around the fail/pass border in higher level, you'd defnitely pass ordinary, so it'd be worth dropping my opinion instead of risking a fail.

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Anyone I know that dropped down found it a fair bit easier, but I don't really know myself I suppose... even so, if you're around the fail/pass border in higher level, you'd defnitely pass ordinary, so it'd be worth dropping my opinion instead of risking a fail.

Oh I'm not denying that but I'm just saying it's not like some subjects where you could get a D at Higher Level and drop at get a A or high B at ordinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&index=0&feature=PlayList&v=n70BceXaLWo&list=PL9DDDEF10673906BD

That is a fantastic documentary that explains a lot about atoms. If you are tired of studying watch it. There is some things on it that are on our course anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CiaraG89

Hiya, Im going into repeat physics 2moro. Its been 4 years since i last did it. Just wondering if there is anything i need to bring in other than the obvious like caclulator, ruler, pens and pencils! Any other info or tips would be great aswell, thanks.

Just your standard maths set, calculator and a few pens and pencils. You get the log tables in the exam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CiaraG89

Brilliant, thanks very much. Its just been that long, i didnt want 2 forget anything! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Haven't done much for physics! :(
    What topics should I revise now...any predictions?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RP77

CiaraG89 wrote: »
    Hiya, Im going into repeat physics 2moro. Its been 4 years since i last did it. Just wondering if there is anything i need to bring in other than the obvious like caclulator, ruler, pens and pencils! Any other info or tips would be great aswell, thanks.

CiaraG89,make sure that you bring a clear ruler (not a wooden one) so that it's easier to draw a best fit line through points on a graph..best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krisityfer

To anyone doing particle physics, I'd recommend knowing the difference between Hadrons, Leptons, Baryons and Mesons, and also know the less obvious quark configurations: pions and kaons. With the amount of stuff in the tables, they're likely to ask them questions, see last year's exam for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Are there any fixed question on the physics paper? Like Q1 has to be an exp on mechanics etc.??
    My teacher never really went through the paper, just told us to do Q5 and Q12 no matter what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

doctorg wrote: »
    Are there any fixed question on the physics paper? Like Q1 has to be an exp on mechanics etc.??
    My teacher never really went through the paper, just told us to do Q5 and Q12 no matter what!
    doctorg wrote: »

Q1 = experment on mechanics
    Q2+3 = experment on light/sound/heat
    Q4 = experment on electricty

Q5 = short questions
    Q12 = 4 half questions do 2
    Q10 = option on partical phy
    Q11 = passage and 8 short questions
    Q6 = mechanics/ SHM/ gravatation

that leaves Q7+8+9
    - normally a question on nuclear phy or photolectric effect/electron

then there is everything else in last 2 question

im doing Q1 + Q4 and then whichever one looks easiest on expenments
    the Q5, 12, 10, nuclear/photoeffect and then whichever looks easiest

not looking forward to this :(

I could see them mixing up a lot of the topics together this year. For all the talk, I can't wait to see what comes up tomorrow ;p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If I leave out magnetism, circular motion + centripetal force chapters, will I still be able to answer all of the paper? (my option is particle physics).

You probably can't afford to leave both of them out, but it depends greatly on what questions will be asked this year.

Magnetism is a big section of the course, but centripetal force/circular motion are only covered on a few pages in the book.
    If you don't wanna touch magnetism, I'd have a look at circular motion, you're basically using only two formulae and they're given in the log tables.

That should have you covered, since there's a good chance of something on circular motion coming up in the mechanics section :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Gumbi wrote: »
    If I leave out magnetism, circular motion + centripetal force chapters, will I still be able to answer all of the paper? (my option is particle physics).

I'm sure you could.. because i'm leaving out all of electricity, heat and magnetism.. except for the heat experiments..

Question 5 - Short Q's
    Question 6 - Mechanics
    Question 7 - Light/wave/sound/heat*
    Question 8 - Electricity/magnetism
    Question 9 - Nuclear physics/electron/photoelectricity
    Question 10 - Particle physics
    Question 11 - Changes each year
    Question 12 - changes all the time

*Questions 7,8 and 9 change around each year but they're usually the same topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

heya, um..just wondering what topics should I cover now to be able to allow myself to answer 5 questions on section B? I'm screwed for physics, please help me someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

CiaraG89 wrote: »

A compass can be handy as well, for drawing the raw diagrams for lenses and mirrors :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ADeVoy

Lads ye shouldn't really leave chapters out, all the science subjects (particularly Biology) are throwing bits in from different chapters in each question in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

ADeVoy wrote: »
    Lads ye shouldn't really leave chapters out, all the science subjects (particularly Biology) are throwing bits in from different chapters in each question in recent years.

That's a very valid point but I think the day before the exam it's a bit late to revise sections you'd been leaving out. It depends what grade you're going for. For example, a lot of people on this seem to be looking for a pass or a C so I think it's okay to prioritise. I'm looking for a low B myself but I'd be happy enough with a C...

Advertisement