Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Physics HL 2011 * HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Cardor wrote: »
    I'm sure you could.. because i'm leaving out all of electricity, heat and magnetism.. except for the heat experiments..

Question 5 - Short Q's
    Question 6 - Mechanics
    Question 7 - Light/wave/sound/heat*
    Question 8 - Electricity/magnetism
    Question 9 - Nuclear physics/electron/photoelectricity
    Question 10 - Particle physics
    Question 11 - Changes each year
    Question 12 - changes all the time

*Questions 7,8 and 9 change around each year but they're usually the same topics.
    I'll be covered for most of Q5, and of the other 7 I'll surely be able to do 4. You must take into account the the choice in q12 as well. I'm sure I'll be fine. Going back through the years it seems I'm plenty covered. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RP77

ADeVoy wrote: »
    Lads ye shouldn't really leave chapters out, all the science subjects (particularly Biology) are throwing bits in from different chapters in each question in recent years.

I agree..it can be a risky business leaving out certain topics. Even if the sections you have prepared appear on the paper the questions might be very tricky.. so essentially you are cutting out choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Its a bit late advising people not to leave out chapters considering the exam is tomorrow.. Tonight requires smart studying and a smart student would study what he/she believes is going to come up.. spend the day studying a chapter in depth which you believe might come up.. trying to flick through every chapter is illogical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sjk1992

Hi just wondering does any one know if its ok for the monochromatic light experiment to just know the method using a laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

sjk1992 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does any one know if its ok for the monochromatic light experiment to just know the method using a laser?
    Yeah you can, I've always done it that way and it was marked right in my mocks. Also it's tipped to come up this year so know it people! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

sjk1992 wrote: »

yes that method is suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Just a small tip for ye! When doing calculations and you have got a number look at the number and think is that possible. For example if you have to get the frequency of a gamma ray and it is 2*10^-15 you should know that a gamma ray will never have a value like that. Hope that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mullarkey b

So screwed for this.....Would it be worth attempting the paper (got 38% in the mocks and dont see myself improving too much on this) or just asking for the ordinary level? They should have spares for the ordinary level, right? :confused:
    just to let you know you passed the mock 38% is regarded as a D.... also anyone doing applied electricity know the odds of transistors coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

38% is regarded as a D....

or more like a fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Siveen

I can see that Boyle's law and the monochromatic light are likely to come up, but are there any other predictions that might come up? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I can see that Boyle's law and the monochromatic light are likely to come up, but are there any other predictions that might come up? Thanks
    Joule's Law
    Speed of Sound
    Conservation of Momentum
    Variation of Frequency of a String with Length
    Variation of I with V diode/copper sulfate/bulb/metallic conductor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Siveen

^^Thank you!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

For particle physics is it only me or is every scientist's name associated with it hilarious?

Gellman
    Cockroft
    Ernest
    Zweig

Millikman deserves a mention too.

How can people find it hard learning all the names anyway. Well it's easy for me anyway because I try to picture names so they stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

I'd say they'll ask for who discovered or who predicted the neutrino, hasn't come up for a while has it? If the particle physics is about the neutrino it would be lovely

And just to say, his name's a much less humorous Millikan, not Millikman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fresh2011

Don't be panicking guys, physics ain't that bad. Our teacher said you should know your expts inside-out and you've then got 30%, then section B...Q5 and Q12 are very doable and then pick 3 more of your preferred Qs from the remaining 6 and some parts you can pick up very handy marks.

So that'd be 120 marks from section A, 56 from Q5, maybe 40 from Q12 then at least 25 from the other 3 Qs.....that's a lot of marks....everyone has their own aims though

Best of luck everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

fresh2011 wrote: »
    Don't be panicking guys, physics ain't that bad. Our teacher said you should know your expts inside-out and you've then got 30%, then section B...Q5 and Q12 are very doable and then pick 3 more of your preferred Qs from the remaining 6 and some parts you can pick up very handy marks.

So that'd be 120 marks from section A, 56 from Q5, maybe 40 from Q12 then at least 25 from the other 3 Qs.....that's a lot of marks....everyone has their own aims though

Best of luck everyone :D

This, not to mention the amount of experiments that you can backwards engineer from the relevant formulae's in the tables book.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Dongl wrote: »
    This, not to mention the amount of experiments that you can backwards engineer from the relevant formulae's in the tables book.

We should petition the SEC to rename the book "The Physics Tables". . . I reckon I have used over 60% of it's content for physics purposes in the past 2 years. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

DM360 wrote: »
    I'd say they'll ask for who discovered or who predicted the neutrino, hasn't come up for a while has it? If the particle physics is about the neutrino it would be lovely

And just to say, his name's a much less humorous Millikan, not Millikman

It was actually Wolfgang Pauli who proposed the idea and it wasn't detected experimentally until 1956 by Cowan and Reines.

What did Fermi do?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

What did Fermi do?

First nuclear reactor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Dongl wrote: »

*cough*Pendulum*cough*

At least I have to anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Dbstf wrote: »
    It was actually Wolfgang Pauli who proposed the idea and it wasn't detected experimentally until 1956 by Cowan and Reines.

I know, I meant Millikan was the name instead of Millikman, it wasn't the answer.

And also Fermi named the neutrino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Well I'm freaking out right now :( I know I shouldn't be but I'm worried about a good chunk of it.
    I don't know half of electricity, half of modern physics or magnetism. I'm good for everything else except them. I'm slightly tempted to get up at 5.30 and cram modern and particle physics so I'll have two questions covered for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

Aoifums wrote: »
    Well I'm freaking out right now :( I know I shouldn't be but I'm worried about a good chunk of it.
    I don't know half of electricity, half of modern physics or magnetism. I'm good for everything else except them. I'm slightly tempted to get up at 5.30 and cram modern and particle physics so I'll have two questions covered for sure.
    im gettin up at 5 =) to cram experiments though =(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    im gettin up at 5 =) to cram experiments though =(

I don't know any of the electricity ones. But I'm fairly confident on the others because my fifth year teacher hammered them into our heads.
    The more I think of getting up early the less I want to do it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

So anybody doing applied electricity? Our class seems to be alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Most teachers hate it!

The first year of the new course most teachers did the Applied Electricity because it was on the old course and Modern Physics wasn't. That year the average marks on Applied Electricity were 30% (90% of the physics population did it) while the Modern Physics was much better answered. From then on my teacher taught Modern Physics..

True story..! :P

Probably true. . .sorry. . .

About 1.2% of people answering this question(open to correction on this) did the year the Chief Examiners report was out. . .thats a maximum of about 60 people. . .and more likely about 40 people, as not everyone answers the option. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I dunno, I quite like it. I tried to do the particle physics myself as a back up but there's too much of just learning it for me, so I prefer the understanding part of the AE. And also, a lot of it just reiterates the previous electricity chapter's so it reinforces your understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I know this is for HL but I really need this question asked about OL. Has heat come up every second year since the course the started (excluding Q1-5)? It looks that way but I want to be sure. I sure hope that isn't the case because I find that the easiest topic on the course.

Advertisement