Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Physics HL 2011 * HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I know this is for HL but I really need this question asked about OL. Has heat come up every second year since the course the started (excluding Q1-5)? It looks that way but I want to be sure. I sure hope that isn't the case because I find that the easiest topic on the course.

You'll just have to wait and see! :P But the exam has no strict layout as such so theres nothing to say it won't be up.

If it is not there in the morning don't panic. Answer the other 4 questions you would if Heat was there and then pick the best question out of what's left! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

I'll be powering through now until 2 o clock, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite, gewan the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

I hope this paper isn't a tuffy.. :S Fingers crossed.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I dunno, I quite like it. I tried to do the particle physics myself as a back up but there's too much of just learning it for me, so I prefer the understanding part of the AE. And also, a lot of it just reiterates the previous electricity chapter's so it reinforces your understanding of it.

Spent half an hour cramming particle physics...Possibly the quickest topic I've ever picked up. The calculations are easy enough, it's all about the mass of the relevant particle. Fingers crossed for both Joule's Law and Boyle's Law. At least 80 marks for those. Could get close to full with the speed of sound in air too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

having both momentum and boyles law prepared , AND BOTH come up . deadly . the short questions and q11 were both very simple as was q12(d) . the other questions in section B were tricky enough but overall quite a handy paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Lovely experiments although there were a lot of tough part B questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Nice old paper!

Beautiful paper. Experiments were great. Had Boyle's Law down to a tee, with a little guesswork the electrolyte went well. The wavelength of monochromatic light went well, had that prepared too. Q5 was a lovely question. Q12 was nice enough also (did c and d). Q11 wasn't too bad. Q10 (did a) was nice enough, though the end was tricky. Q8 wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. Overall, a fairly nice paper and it could be predicted easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

I will never love a woman the way I loved that physics paper.
    Experiments, particle physics, 11 ,12 and 5 were all perfectly manageable.

Only one that might have gone slightly awry was the 18 marker for the mechanics question.
    Still diagram and and attempting it should account for half of the marks there.

Looking good, roll on chemistry. :cool:

Mechanics was a fairly wordy question.. The whole paper was in a way I suppose..

Got 7 questions done and 3 parts in 12. Overall I am happy.. Q5 and Q12 and to an extent Q11 were easy.

Just happy to see the back of it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Ok. I'm just home from the exam.

The experiments were fine. I did Q2,3,4. Q1 looked awkward with the "constant velocity" and all that jazz so I stayed away from it. The last part of Q3 will catch a few out as will the last part of Q4. I'm fairly certain I got em. Not 100% though.

Q5 was grand but that Millikan question really annoyed me. I just remembered "photoelectric effect" when i had left the school. Ah well. I got the other 9 out.

Q6 looked like a right mess so i avoided it.

Q7 part a and b were fine. C was a bit sticky. Made a decent attempt.

Q8 I didn't get the fundamental frequency question. Apart from that it was grand.

Q10(a) this question was fine up until the last one. I was searching for those constants for AGES!! Such a mess not having them on the paper. Would it kill them???

Q11 I'm fairly certain of all but 2. One of the 2 is right and the other is wrong. Thats because i quoted the exact same thing twice.

Q12 a. I thought the last part was messy. I used the "auld" mg-F=ma for the minimum one and the same but a positive F for the max one. Hope its right.

Q12 b. Thank you Pat Doyle!!! :D Couldn't believe it. The exact question he had in his notes. Got it all out lovely.

Q12 c was nice and easy also. No major difficulties.

I thought it was a grand paper. There were many questions that will stop people from their A1s. Hopefully not me though! I think it was highly unfair to not give the constants. It would have thrown many off. i thought it was a harder paper than last year but not overly so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

The experiments were nice. I wasnt really happy with the long questions tho. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Loved the paper. . .really nicely done by the SEC

What were the neutrons used for in nuclear reactors?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. . .and did any1 get fmin=0 for 12a

I said for the production of energy.. Cause like isn't that what they are for..?!
    . . .and did any1 get fmin=0 for 12a

Yes I did.. Because at the center point the acceleration towards the point is zero.. F=ma, F=0m, F=0.. I think it's wrong though but it was just my reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Physics was graaaaaaaaaaaaaand. Disappointing lack of nuclear physics on the paper (not even so much as a mention of a simple nuclear reactor :( C'MON EXAM PEOPLE, LOOK AT FUKISHIMA, GET TOPICAL!!!!)

Didn't really like the heat transfer question (Q7) but I had to do it. Very, very wordy (a) to it. I also had to do Q8 too (got around 1888 or something for the fundamental frequency, anyone else get that?)

Q10 (particle physics), Q12 (4 to do 2), Q5 (short questions) were grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 larkin1993

I got Fmin = 0 :)

To make fission occur ie. splitting the nucleus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

grabd sect A
    bastard of a sectB:D ... still shoulda got a b2

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Experiments were nice, good selection and none particularly difficult.
    Section B relied heavily on understanding. The questions were long but had a balance of theory and calculations. Disappointed by the lack of modern physics as it usually appears and is a good source of marks for most people.
    Overall a decent paper that was slightly above average in difficulty but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alcohol_MAN

I thought it was a really tough. I said that the emf produced was proportional to the difference in temp a made a crappy graph on it.

Question 9 okay
    Question 5 okay
    Question 10 only figured it out last bit after
    Question 11 sketchy
    Question 12 alrightish.
    Looking at a B now. It's terrible that this is what's gonna show for my course :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RedBlueRedBlue

Oh god, why did I sit the higher paper. I added up my marks at the end and it came to 30%.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much electricity on the paper
    Where the F*CK was the modern physics?!

No electromagnetic induction?

I couldn't even get through the light calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much electricity on the paper
    Where the F*CK was the modern physics?
    Q10? :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Stretch101

Personally I didnt find it too bad but from the reactions of the others in my class it didn't go very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RedBlueRedBlue

jumpguy wrote: »
    Q10? :-/

Oh I was talking about radioactivity and nuclear. But yeah, I couldn't do most of the particle physics. Was expecting to see Cockcroft and Walton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brian123M

Section A was alright , nothing hard.
    Section B was terrible , the mechanics question , short questions and question 12 wasnt the worst, but the rest was horrible , Whats the experiment to show the same thing as the worker with the suit of metal around him to protect him from the electricity :/
    Was hoping for a B1/B2 , would take a C3 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Was quite happy, most of the questions were nice enough, and 'twas a good applied electricity question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

jumpguy wrote: »
    Physics was graaaaaaaaaaaaaand. Disappointing lack of nuclear physics on the paper (not even so much as a mention of a simple nuclear reactor :( C'MON EXAM PEOPLE, LOOK AT FUKISHIMA, GET TOPICAL!!!!)

the papers were made around christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

anyone else get 4/3 F for first part of question 9?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Stretch101

Question 1 - No problems
    Question 2 - Couldnt have been easier (nice change from the heat questions)
    Question 3 - Not too bad

Question 5 - Very easy
    Question 6 - Tough part c
    Question 8 - Average
    Question 9 - Third part was tricky enough
    Question 11 - Pretty okay
    Question 12 - Hard enough considering the amount of choice

Overall - Definitely harder than the average paper

Advertisement