Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Chemistry * Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Exothermic wrote: »
    Any predictions for what will be big on the paper? Gosh, really need to get my head down today and get studying.

I thought there could be a question on radioactivity because of the Fukushima disaster.

... just checked last year's, radioactivity was Q11 b) so scrap that. Unless they want to surprise us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I thought there could be a question on radioactivity because of the Fukushima disaster.

... just checked last year's, radioactivity was Q11 b) so scrap that. Unless they want to surprise us :rolleyes:
    Well the earthquake in Japan happened in mid March so I doubt they would have included it anywhere on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

The paper was written last year, nothing post November 2010 will be on it. I've never seen any event related question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tillyod

Its 100 years since Marie Curie got the nobel prize so it might make a short question!!

Also im betting on crude oil and oil refineries because of the oil well in the gulf of Mexico that exploded last year, came up on the pre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

RMD wrote: »
    The paper was written last year, nothing post November 2010 will be on it. I've never seen any event related question anyway.
    You haven't been looking too hard then :p
    They had that question on CO2 (just calculations) when the new car tax system based on CO2 emissions was brought in, and that question on radiation after that russian guy was killed in Dublin by radiation poisoning (bit foggy on the details of that story..).
    If there's something topical and Chemistry-related, there's a good chance of them putting it on.. But unfortunately I can't think of a single thing it could be this year.

Coincidentally, I'm expecting this year's paper to be a messy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

http://ichemistry.ie if anyone wants to revise stuff, see demonstrationss, quizzes etc :)

login as guest and the password is "network"

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Easy way of remembering Meth, Eth, Prop, But, Pent, Hex, Hept

Man Eat Pussycat because penises hurt him..

Hey, it works for me.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Do you guys know of any topics that can be left out and still get an A1? I'm really short of study time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Just putting together a list of experiments i need to cover for question 3.
    I've got

1.flame tests
    2.test for anions
    3.recrystallization and melting point
    4.mr of a volatile liquid
    5.heat of reaction of HCL and NaOH
    6.rate of production of oxygen from hydrogen peroxide
    7.effect on reaction of temperature and concentration
    8.equilibrium
    9.Free chlorine in water
    10.suspended/dissolved solids and ph in water
    11.Redox reactions of halogens.

Anything else?

Do you guys know of any topics that can be left out and still get an A1? I'm really short of study time :(

Nope, you're definitely going to fail if you don't know every single chapter in detail. -_-

You'd think that somebody wanting an A1 in Chemistry would know a bit more about the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Is there not enough to study everything by Tuesday? I'm on track to revise the whole course in 3 days. Starting yesterday and finishing tommorow night.
    ._. wrote: »

Coincidentally, I'm expecting this year's paper to be a messy one.
    Please don't say that! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CokeyBear

If you know your experiments, get full marks in Q4 (Any person going for an A1 should be no problem), Q5 (same again), Q6 (Ye, same again), Water / pH for Q7, Organic for Q8 and Rates for Q9 you can get an A1 without too much hassle assuming you're good at Chemistry (I'll assume you are since you're going for an A1).

It's a very predictable paper, just have to make sure you know the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CF_Hoop

Picked up Chemistry in October, any predictions on what to study for OL? Any help or predictions would be greatly appreciated :)

CokeyBear wrote: »
    If you know your experiments, get full marks in Q4 (Any person going for an A1 should be no problem), Q5 (same again), Q6 (Ye, same again), Water / pH for Q7, Organic for Q8 and Rates for Q9 you can get an A1 without too much hassle assuming you're good at Chemistry (I'll assume you are since you're going for an A1).

Some people said that about Biology too, look where that got them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Some people said that about Biology too, look where that got them :rolleyes:

That's the only thing I'm nervous about is that they rear away from the usual in a few questions. I don't think they will but one can never be sure. Pray that they don't.

*touches wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

There's no way i'm gonna be touching question 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Nope, you're definitely going to fail if you don't know every single chapter in detail. -_-

You'd think that somebody wanting an A1 in Chemistry would know a bit more about the exam.
    No that's not true. You could have comfortably got an A1 in 09 without knowing anything about water and im pretty sure that's was the way in last years paper also.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

No that's not true. You could have comfortably got an A1 in 09 without knowing anything about water and im pretty sure that's was the way in last years paper also.

Unless you did Question 1 :P

I was doing the door at last year's exams. My friend was just inside and when he opened the paper, I heard him going "WHAT?". He saw the E.D.T.A. question ><

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

EmacB wrote: »
    I've got

1.flame tests
    2.test for anions
    8.equilibrium
    9.Free chlorine in water

Anything else?

Chromatography?

Chromatography?
    There simply isn't enough in any of the Chromatography experiments to cover an entire question.

Generally speaking at least 2 experiments have a calculation or graph of some sort and the other experiment is solely theory based and chromatography lacks graphs or calculations and simply doesn't have enough theory to be examined in an experiment question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

There simply isn't enough in any of the Chromatography experiments to cover an entire question.

Generally speaking at least 2 experiments have a calculation or graph of some sort and the other experiment is solely theory based and chromatography lacks graphs or calculations and simply doesn't have enough theory to be examined in an experiment question.

Yeah, but they could do something nasty like in '07 when they paired chromatography with the organic prep!
    I kind of avoid chromatography, but I should learn it in case that happens! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

CokeyBear wrote: »

Is Rates due or Equilibria?? That could only be a half question too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Two atoms are walking down the street.
    Says one atom to the other, "Hey! I think I lost an electron!"
    The other says, "Are you sure??"
    "Yes, I'm positive!"

pajero12 wrote: »
    "Yes, I'm positive!"
    "You're looking very negative. Is there something troubling you?"
    "I stole someone else's electron"

:pac:

While we're on chemistry jokes...

What do you call a ring of iron?
    A ferrous wheel

pajero12 wrote: »
    "Yes, I'm positive!"

A neutron walks into a bar and asks for a pint.
    On reaching into his pocket to pay, the barman quickly stops him saying, "for you, no charge!"

ba dum bum shhhhhhh!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Two people walk into a bar.
    One of them asks the barman: "Can I get some H2O?"
    The barman gives him a glass of water, and the other man asks: "Can I get some H2O too?"

And then he died. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

EmacB wrote: »
    I've got

1.flame tests
    2.test for anions
    8.equilibrium
    9.Free chlorine in water

Anything else?

Agree with all expect recrystallisation and melting point. It was up last year wasn't it? Yeah, 10(b). Just checked.
    It's not a common experiment really so for it to be up two years in a row would be very unusual. :/
    2004 Q3, 2010 Q10(b) and then coming up again in 2011 would be more than I'd expect. I certainly hope it doesn't come up.

A piece of gold walks into a bar.

The Barman says "Au, get out of here

• Advertisement

I'm a science teacher and once I asked one of my lazy students if he knew the chemical symbol for sodium. He replied, 'Na'.
    Lucky bas***d.

Advertisement