Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Chemistry * Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

EmacB wrote: »
    Nope sorry :(

Sorry about that! I have no idea really :confused:

I think Exothermic is right, try and avoid listing answers cause I think they would take into account the wrong ones.

Good luck later on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Is there any point revising the experiments that came up last year or should I just concentrate on the ones that haven't or are predicted. Cause if prep of soap comes up someone is getting beat
    I had ever though until this morning that they would ever come up but be warned! On our physics paper this morning an experiment that id totally left out cos it came up last year came up... Hopefully i still did ok cos i did an extra exp q!
    The moral of the story is leave ALL the experiments!! Sorry to anyone who doesnt think it can happen!

Also instead of them printing data on the physics paper it said all relevent data is in the formulae and tables available from the super intendant, the chemistry equilivant of this would be the masses at the start and what not so make sure ye can find avagadros constant and the likes in the tables. Talking to people after the exam most people didnt notice the note at the begining and had no idea what to do for the values! :O

Im learning soap now! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Gona go over stuff for about 3H 30M, drive into school, study a little more/chat, stroll into the exam, sit there for 3 hours, get an A, stroll on home.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

This is an example from the Biology Examiners' guidelines:

"Marking Scheme; carbon/ hydrogen/ oxygen/ nitrogen 4(3)
    Sample answers:
    carbon/ hydrogen/ oxygen/ nitrogen/ calcium – there is a surplus answer, which is incorrect, and which cancels one of the correct answers, therefore the candidate is awarded 3(3) marks."

Same applies to chemistry i guess :-/

That's odd. We've been told not to do it in Music, but, we were strongly encouraged TO do it in German :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Are you serious?! I never knew that! I swear I'm gonna fail this poxy thing. (again :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Michael_E wrote: »
    That's odd. We've been told not to do it in Music, but, we were strongly encouraged TO do it in German :confused:

:-/ So it's up to the actual marking scheme maybe? Aaah, i don't know!

So yeah, just write the correct amount of correct answers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Gavarn wrote: »
    Sorry about that! I have no idea really :confused:

I think Exothermic is right, try and avoid listing answers cause I think they would take into account the wrong ones.

Good luck later on :)

Yeah seems to sound right not what i was hoping but oh well.

Thanks good luck to you too and everybody else:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

:-/ So it's up to the actual marking scheme maybe? Aaah, i don't know!

So yeah, just write the correct amount of correct answers :cool:

Sure that wont be hard at all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

*quietly haunts the thread*

I'm going to fail catastrophically o_o

Oenone wrote: »
    *quietly haunts the thread*

I'm going to fail catastrophically o_o

Nah, you won't. All the answers are in your head. ;)

Good luck to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Also, it's strange I don't already know this.. But Chemistry doesn't have negative marking like Biology does it?

Can you write things like "hogs the electron" or "to get rid of" something and other such informal expressions?
    My native language isn't English and things come up in the more informal way because it's how i was explaining them to myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Nah, you won't. All the answers are in your head. ;)

Good luck to everyone!

You are kind, but I have sacrificed chemistry "for the greater good" - i.e. my other subjects. As I am completely, unequivocally, indubitably, indisputably terrible at chemistry.

It is unquestionable that I shall fail :pac:

But good luck to all the non-hopeless cases - and to the hopeless cases (like moi) well, erm... Good luck in your other subjects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm so scared about this exam. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I'm sitting in my kitchen, eating copious amounts of food and highlighting every sentence I see :P I'm not exactly being productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

Does anyone know where the experiments on alkali elements are in the chemistry live book? Dont know how this happened but i only heard about this experiment yesterday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Fingers crossed it's a straightforward paper!!! AGGGHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Never been so happy to drop down in my life.
    So many people dropped down the examiner had to photocopy the paper. Answered all 11 questions delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i thought it was a fair paper. And bleach came up as well. short questions were very standard. Overall a grand paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

nice paper, but a huge divergence from other years (similar to biology)
    much more focused on your understanding of chemistry.

overall a fair, doable (even easy) paper, except for that equilibrium calculation which i just couldn't get for some reason. did all 11 questions

edit: i did higher level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Fingers crossed it's a straightforward paper!!! AGGGHHH

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Just lovely!

Can't say I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

nommm wrote: »
    Can't say I'm happy with that.

Ya not that happy either! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

i was pretty delighted with it! it suited me i guess, but there were a lot of unhappy people in my school!

I just realised I did the reflux apparatus the wrong way around. :mad: I put ethanol and water on bottom and sodium dichromate on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Bit of an odd paper. Fair, but different from other years. I wouldn't say easy, but I wouldn't say it was too hard either.

Q1. Fine. :)
    Q2. The marks allocated were a bit odd. Was an easy question but I don't know how it will be marked.
    Q3. Didn't do it. Did not study it. Unfortunately, one of the very few things I didn't study.
    Q4. Slightly harder than previous years I thought.
    Q5. Fine. Probably could have done a bit better. Not full marks anyway.
    Q6. Fine. :) For the crude oil I said it's non-polar?
    Q7. Fine.
    Q8. Fine.
    Q9. Almost too easy. :P
    Q10. (a) Rates. Lovely
    (b) ... Attempted then abandoned. Badly laid out too. The primary metabolite question was thrown in before b(i). Hope nobody missed that.
    (c) The shoe :P Grand
    Q11. (a) Simple enough
    (b) Could probably have done better. The ionic bonding and all that. Not my strongest part of Chemistry.
    (c) Didn't do.

They're certainly straying from the past papers a bit. They left odd mark allocation so that they can adjust the marking schemes. I don't know how I did. Probably not my absolute best. I don't want to rule out my A1 all together, I could scrape it. I just don't know how I did really :P

Anyone remember their numerical answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

a nice paper bar the experiments! I pretty much screwed up both the experiments i did, 1 and 2, even though i predicted bleaccoming up! I managed to forget how to get the actual volume which screwed me up for the rest of the question. :mad: Q2 was worse.. but section B was a dream! The only question that got me slightly was organic Q9.. but overall, im satisfied! :) Definitely wont get my A though. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

Exothermic wrote: »

Anyone remember their numerical answers?

I have a few! Show you mine if you show me yours...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I got x = 7 for that part of Q4. I was kinda dilly-dallying around then so it could easily be wrong! That's all I can remember?

Advertisement