Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to ask when viewing a property?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have recently begun viewing properties to buy! I find it extremely intimadating when viewing and always get nervous about what to ask!

I am worried incase i am not asking the right questions when talking to the agents and need a bit of advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Check for PVC windows
    Type of heating
    Services, refuse collection, Broadband
    Ber cert
    Number of rooms
    Furniture included
    Any negotiability on price
    Any offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jennie_1907

What is a Ber Cert? Sorry I am very new to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Building Energy Rating, how well it retains heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If the Buyer is in a Chain.
    If there is any work like extensions ask for Certification of work however this is probably more for after going sale agreed however good to ask up front.
    A list of what is included in sale, ie Cooker etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dymo wrote: »
    Check for PVC windows
    Type of heating
    Services, refuse collection, Broadband
    Ber cert
    Number of rooms
    Furniture included
    Any negotiability on price
    Any offers

this.

then when EA drives off, go to neighours and be as kind as possible and ask if they anything about the property being sold.

previuos owners? ( any sort of bad reputation of property? you dont want some assholes coming and looking for fix from previuos owner )
    If it is a detached property somewhere non in estate, then ask if neighour knows anything about how it was biult and by who. ( this actuolly saved me from doing one of the biggest mistakes in my life )
    If they own theyr house, maybe they dont mind sharing info for how much are houses going/gone in same area. So you would have more realistic price that EA gives you.
    By looking at neighour you can see who will be living near you. nothing worse, then moving in and finding out that your neighour is some weirdo that kills cats for fun and hangs theyr heads on fence.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much! Really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If there's any extensions to the house ask if planning permission was sought for them. You can look up the local county council website and do a search for that too.

Edit: Oops sorry JoeyJJ kind of covered that already!

It is mainly apartments I am looking at so dont have to worry about planning but definitely going to try the neighbours, it is only my second time viewing a place so I want to try and get as much information so i know whether i would be interested

Well for apartments you need a different set of questions, not an expert but defo

1. What are the yearly fees for maintenance.
    2. Management Committee, is there a sufficient sink fund available for ongoing/emergency works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Don't feel pressured into having all your questions straight away, you can always call the agent after the viewing to ask more as you think of them! They want you to ask questions, they're trying to get you to buy the place :)

• Advertisement

Viewing the house can be very stressful, it gets even more stressful when you have seen already a few and you start thinking of which one is better. Then you forget all questions :).

I have a good first look, then I rearranged a second viewing on properties I liked. Then I just take my phone and do a few pictures of the place. When you come back home you can have a good luck with no pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No personal offence intended jennie 1907 but you seem to be lacking a certain confidence in the aspect of dealing with Estate Agents. I'd nearly be inclined to take somebody along with me, be it a friend, relation, work colleague etc. who went through the process of buying property and perhaps more specifically an apartment in the not too disatant past. They should know or at least ought to know the relevant questions to ask.

No doubt you will have additional questions and boxes to tick that are not necessairly relevant on your companions mind. For example if your companion never uses public transport the quality and anfrastructure of such services may not necessairly be on their agenda but if you do this is where you need to pick up the mantle and ask any questions you have yourself.

Your companions thoughts and opinions may no doubt end up being priceless to you. I honestly wouldn't get too hung up in asking good or bad questions. There is no rule book and at the end of the day you will most likely be living in the apartment for a long time after the Estate agent has taken and spent his commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I don't know if it applies to appartments or not but I'm certain I would not buy a house with my hard earned cash without getting an engineer to inspect it and provide me with a report

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I don't know if it applies to appartments or not but I'm certain I would not buy a house with my hard earned cash without getting an engineer to inspect it and provide me with a report

I would have assumed that jennie 1907 would make a proviso for such an inspection in any deal she makes but if not your advice is certainly sound advice naughtysmurf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You would be surprised how many people think, ah sure it was only built a few years ago, what could be wrong, wont spend the few bob on an engineer, hand over tens if not hundreds of thousands!!! and then find out there are problems. Even if an engineer finds issues, it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the property but at least walk into the purchase with your eyes open, you can use any issues / defects to your advantage regarding the asking price.

Also, write your questions down so you don't forget them, a short pencil is better than a long memory

Another one popped into my head, find out about parking spaces seeing as it is an apartment. How many you have? If there is communial parking also? Do you own the spot or rent it?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Another one popped into my head, find out about parking spaces seeing as it is an apartment. How many you have? If there is communial parking also? Do you own the spot or rent it?

That's actuolly a good one. My sister is renting apartment and have to pay 100eu extra per month for parking space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

Ask absolutely everything that pops into your head. Leave no stone un-turned. Border on being rude with the questions, there is nothing worse than leaving a meeting with someone such as an EA and then thinking "pity I didnt ask him about that bathroom" or "I wonder what the situation with parking is".

From your Original post, it would seem you get a little nervous around the EA. This happens me sometimes and even though I might have a big long rant ready to say in my head, I forget half of it and don't get all my points across.

What you can do, before you do your next viewing. Write down on a small card, everything that you want to know about the house. Absolutely anything from, 'how many plugs are there in the house' to 'do the neighbours have loud pets' When you then meet with the EA, refer to your notes whenever you feel you might be forgetting something. There's no problem with being a stickler for questions here, this is one of the most important decisions of your life. You want to be fully informed when making it.

Hope you get a place you love.

www.thegoodagent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ask what comes with the Property ie fixtures and fittings,
    After i Bought my place the seller rang and asked did i want to buy the built in fridge!!! Had to hand over 200 euro. old ballix :mad:

Advertisement