Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny This Weekend

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

So I'm coming down tomorrow and leaving on Sunday, someone else in our party booked a few rooms in the Springfield Court, I just checked it on maps and it's nearly a mile & a half from Town plus it looks like a cross between a factory and a hospital.

Anyway, which attractions would you recommend we visit/do?

What restaurants are worth eating in? ~ price/quality.

What pubs/late bars/good smoking areas (not really into nightclubs)would you recommend?

Is there any danger in walking back to the Springfield (Waterford Rd) after a night out, i.e estates/areas we should avoid walking through?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The worlds end pub, nothing even comes close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Plug wrote: »

Is this joke not getting a bit old?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Never!

Gotta admire your dedication to the cause!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Can someone explain this joke to me? I've never been in there, is it a particularly dodgy pub or something? :o

Anyhoo, op, the Pumphouse is a very nice pub, and they have an above average (for Kilkenny) beer selection. Kyteler's Inn is well spoken of by the locals, for both food and pub atmosphere. The Rivercourt hotel has a lovely covered terrace overlooking the River Nore, might be nice if it's a warm evening.

I also highly doubt you'll have any trouble walking to and from the Springhill hotel. Taxi shouldn't be all that expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Have to say, i've often had a pint in the World's End. Think it's an ok pub.
    Few characters in it alright but i like a pint in it meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

RE things to do, theres a thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510404

Bit out of date, but the places of interest are still valid.

Trip Advisor has a good few restaurants reviewed for Kilkenny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sound.

Can anyone tell me if there's anywhere that'll do live music? That or a place that plays alt/indie?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

So I'm coming down tomorrow and leaving on Sunday, someone else in our party booked a few rooms in the Springfield Court, I just checked it on maps and it's nearly a mile & a half from Town plus it looks like a cross between a factory and a hospital.
    Springhill is a grand hotel. It's been refurbised recently and you should be happy with it. It's a bit of a walk alright but it's pretty much a straight road all the way into town. You won't get lost.

During the day check out Canices tower and the Castle I suppose. It totally depends on what you're after. There's bowling in the city centre too.

What restaurants are worth eating in? ~ price/quality.
    Often ate in the one on the "butter slip" (google it). I can't remember the name but its nice and reasonable

What pubs/late bars/good smoking areas (not really into nightclubs)would you recommend?
    Smoking areas - Kytlers, Ryans, The bank (pub)
    Good pubs - Ryans, Pumphouse, Cleares

Is there any danger in walking back to the Springfield (Waterford Rd) after a night out, i.e estates/areas we should avoid walking through?

Cheers.Nah. Lived 2 mins from there for years and never had hastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

In terms of sightseeing if you start at the Castle and walk straight up High Street, Parliament St and into Irishtown you will arrive at St Canice's Cathedral. From there The Black Abbey is around the corner about 5 minutes away on a parallel return route. From there head for St Mary's Cathedral and you can find your way back to High Street from there. That allows you to take in the principal sights. Anyho hope you enjoy your time here. :) Any further sightseeing questions just PM. Bye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Smithwicks Brewery are doing tours at the moment and supposed to be quite good, havnt gone myself yet but its on my todo list.
    Tour times: 12.30, 13.00, 15.00, 15.30.

The tour costs €10, takes approximately 1.5 hours and includes a complimentary tasting in the brewery's Cellar Bar.
    More info here;

Smithwicks
    Trip Advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

OP, definitely you are looking for The Pumphouse, Cleeres, Ryans and maybe The Set (depending on if tubby goatee bouncer is acting like a twat as usual or not). You can't go wrong with any of those pubs especially as you mention the Alt/Indie thing.

Ryans will have live music, I think they often have a sort of Ska cover band doing Madness, The Specials etc. on a saturday night. It's great on a Friday night too.

The Pumphouse probably won't have live music (possibly will on Friday tho) but whatever is playing is usually good, and it's a nice pub.

The Set is a theatre that have a night club there at the weekends and Saturday is usually Funk/Soul music and is really really good, pity that one of the bouncers acts the gowl there a lot in turning away random people for no reason.

Thanks all really looking forward to it now, definately gonna do the Sh!tmix Tour, I'm fond of the stuff. Thanks for the walking tour and pub recommendations, now all that's left is a few options for dining and I'm good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nervous Nellie

Hi OP,

Kilkenny has loads of lovely places to eat so you shouldn't find it too hard to find something you like. Two places you could try are: Ripleys Steakhouse (it's on Butterslip Lane). The food here is lovely! And the staff have always been lovely too.

For something a bit cheap and cheerful I think La Rivista is good. They used do a deal where you got 3 courses each for two people plus a bottle of wine for €50 in total. Not sure if it runs at the weekend though...

Like I said though, there are tons of great restaurants in Kilkenny so you can't go wrong really.

I have you have a good time in our fab city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roller6666

whipping boy play the set saturday 9pm followed by some top indie/dance beats by dj davy holland

Had a great weekend in KK. Ye have a very vibrant and beautiful city and will definately return. I saw The Minutes in Cleeres last night and then went down to The Set. Good times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Wow, have to say it's nice to see someone giving feedback. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement