Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Fees Application Q

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am entitled to free fees for my course which starts in Sept. I am going to send in the application this week. Can anyone tell me if i have to pay up front and then wait for the refund of the fee, or does it immediately cover my registration fee in September? Also, if i need to pay up front how long does the refund take?

Thanks
    Roisin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

roisin24 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I am entitled to free fees for my course which starts in Sept. I am going to send in the application this week. Can anyone tell me if i have to pay up front and then wait for the refund of the fee, or does it immediately cover my registration fee in September? Also, if i need to pay up front how long does the refund take?

Thanks
    Roisin

It's automatic - you have to pay the student contribution of 2500 plus some colleges have a direct levy as well. Each college has a different policy on when the student contribution and/or levy must be paid by

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply regarding the fees. As i am not fully aware, what do you mean by the fees being automatic? And as i will be receiving the BTEA along with the 'free fees' what must i pay for myself??
    Also... Does free fees mean both the Tuition fees and the students services fee??

Confused!
    Roisin

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi Roisin,

The breakdown is

BTEA Paid weekly to you

Student Contribution payable by you. For UL it was €72 last year. This covers extra facilities with in the college like Doctors, Support Services etc.

Registration Fee €2000 ish Paid by County Council/VEC. You have to apply to them to cover this Fee. Some colleges require you to pay this Upfront and will refund when County Council pay them. UL last year didn't require this as long as you were sure you qualified for the Grant.

Course Fees paid by Government/Social Welfare directly to college you are not required to pay this.

Speak to your College Mature student office to find out what their policy is.

Best of luck for you upcoming studies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

roisin24 wrote: »
    Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply regarding the fees. As i am not fully aware, what do you mean by the fees being automatic? And as i will be receiving the BTEA along with the 'free fees' what must i pay for myself??
    Also... Does free fees mean both the Tuition fees and the students services fee??

Confused!
    Roisin

'free fees' is just tuition fees - you do not have to worry about these at all the government will pay the college

The 'student services fee' is now known as the 'student contribution' - it is €2500. You can apply to have this paid to your local county council - this is means tested and they may not pay it in full. To apply for this you fill out the same forms for the grant. The forms are at www.studentfinance.ie. You will probably have to pay your college beforehand. It depends on the policy of each college.

there may also be an additional student levy that you pay yourself

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement