Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

impacted wisdom teeth dodgy dentist please read

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi guys so my four wisdom teeth are imppacted. 2 top ones fully and to bottoms ones i can see a tiny bit of tooth just barely. im 22 and about 2 months ago went to my dentist he told me all four had to come out but he wasnt able to and i would need to be sedated and he also said he wasnt comfortable removing wisdom teeth. he put me on the antibiotic dalacin for a week and told me to come back,after the week was up i came back still infected he put me on same again for anoter week and this time he told me maybe they didnt need to come out after all,he then told me to come back again in a week to check the infection.so i came back in a week infection still slighty there he said but he didnt give me any more antibiotics,tis time he told me they all def had to come out under general anestetic and that the next time it came back he wud refer me onto an oral surgeon.so a month past and one of my teeth is infected again so i went back to him this morning he didnt remember me at all looked in my mouth at the infected tooth put me back on a week of dalacin then told me to make an appointment for 2 weeks time and he would remove it there under local anestetic and no mentiion of my other teeth he didnt even look at them. so i left rether confused he is changin what he says every time i visit and all the times ive been in he hasnt even taken an xray yet or anything! i am an extremely neveous person at the dentist at the taught of gettin this done awake terrifies me i told him this and he said its just one of those things u have to do no mention of anything to help settle my nerves. does this sound like normal practice or am i being a drama queen here, should i seek a second opinion?? any help much appeciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

hi, all i can say is i had simmilar dental problems, i paid nearly 1400 euro for removal of teeth under general anesthetic, worth every penny.

change your dentist pronto before you suffer more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

No, you are not being a drama queen- it's normal to be a little/lot nervous when it comes to wisdom teeth.
    Broadly speaking, one wisdom tooth can be done under LA but multiples should be done with IV sedation or GA (my personal preference is IV sedation as it works really well for nervous patients, they remember nothing or very little of the procedure and the recovery is much quicker than GA).
    The number and difficulty of extractions can only be determined by clinical and x-ray examinations (it is considered mandatory to have x-rays prior to wisdom tooth removal).
    I often sedate patients for one extraction alone as it depends on difficulty or the extent of nervousness....
    Another small point is if you have medical insurance (vhi, quinn, aviva...) impacted teeth will be covered by certain operators (oral surgeons) not necessarly/ but possibly partially by your general dentist...

I am totally biased but for my wisdom teeth, I got an oral surgeon who does them every day....
    Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

A general dentist can advise you.

If your dentist advises to get them taken out in your local surgery I would
    take their advice.

An oral surgeon is more than capable but is better suited to more difficult procedures.
    In my opinion they should be utilised on a referral basis.

Most dentists extract wisdom teeth in-house. And also have the wisdom , if you parden the pun , to refer
    appropriate cases.

All mine were done by my local dentist...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wexford Style

Hi Everyone! Just wondering have any of you been to or heard any reviews about B I may need my 2 lower wisdom teeth removed due to re-occuring infections, has anyone else had this done at this clinic? Also is it safe to remove wisdom teeth while they are infected?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No names allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement