Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best broadband out there?!

• 16-06-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've moved into a new flat (north city dublin, artane to be exact) and even though I have UPC TV, I can't get broadband cause its not available there, which is weird:confused:

I need broadband though but don't require a house phone. So what are my options? I went down to carphone warehouse this morning and they recommended three broadband, but after reading some reviews on here, their speeds and service seem awful!

I'd be using the internet on a daily basis, I do be on you tube a lot, every day anyway, I go on facebook, check my mail, google, use itunes, beatport etc the odd night I might even watch a film via apple tv which requires the use of downloading. I also use it for college.

I know UPC would of been perfect but after several phone calls, its just not an option! So what is the best option for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved from Midband to Broadband.

Stay away from the 3G Mobile operators, your usage pattern sounds like you'd come up against the cap fairly quickly. Try for a wireless service like Metro. Failing that, you may just have to get a phone line in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

this flat is more a bedsit and I only sleep there so having a landline wouldn't be much use I'm afraid!

mobile broadband is the only route it seems:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    this flat is more a bedsit and I only sleep there so having a landline wouldn't be much use I'm afraid!

Get ready to be fleeced so...overage charges are penal with mobile midband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It would provide broadband, hardly useless. Just because you don't want a phone, doesn't mean you don't want DSL.

Not a good option for you, going by what you say in the first post. Even without all that, mobile is not a good option for anyone with fixed broadband requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Try Digiweb,their Metro service is excellent plus you get free install http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Hi

I need broadband though but don't require a house phone. So what are my options?
    not wishing to sound smart, but did you check this thread? - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100232

I'm not familiar with the Northside, but are either of these areas close - perhaps UPC will be available soon - do you really want to be locked into a 12 month contract elsewhere?

http://www.transportfordublin.ie/documents/20110611_20110617.pdf
    Mobhi Road .
    KN Networks on behalf of UPC will carry out road crossing to lay new ducting Saturday 11th June
    North Strand Road opp Fire Station
    Stonerock on behalf of UPC will be laying new ducts on footway on Saturday 11th June & Sunday 12th.

not wishing to sound smart, but did you check this thread? - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100232

I'm not familiar with the Northside, but are either of these areas close - perhaps UPC will be available soon - do you really want to be locked into a 12 month contract elsewhere?

http://www.transportfordublin.ie/documents/20110611_20110617.pdf

my next door neighbour has UPC and my friend across the road has it, but apparently, I can't get it for some strange reason, I've numerous of times and they said its not available where I am, funny how my neighbour has it though.

anyway I'm still looking at what options are out there!

jor el wrote: »
    It would provide broadband, hardly useless. Just because you don't want a phone, doesn't mean you don't want DSL.

Not a good option for you, going by what you say in the first post. Even without all that, mobile is not a good option for anyone with fixed broadband requirements.

what would u recommend so?

the more I read into mobile broadband, the more I'm pushed away from it, I don't like having low download limits, I'd be afraid of using the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 2snj3rwgt56h9k

Three now do a 60GB contract for 29.99 a month. Probably your best bet as far as downloading is concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

my next door neighbour has UPC and my friend across the road has it, but apparently, I can't get it for some strange reason, I've numerous of times and they said its not available where I am, funny how my neighbour has it though.

anyway I'm still looking at what options are out there!
    You can contact UPC on twitter. Ask them why your next door neighbour can get broadband but you can't.

€40 per month will be the minimum you can expect to pay for broadband through a phone line (as a total). Line installs are free at the moment.

If you're not that bothered about reliability at peak times and you don't see yourself using online gaming regularly for example, then you may be better off going with mobile internet which can be got for half the price and you can take it with you should you need to change address in less than a year.

jor el, instead of criticising the points Dylan was making, do you have any productive suggestions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement