Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do 'free fees' apply to postgraduates?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I was on BTEA last year and am now unemployed. Will I have to pay all the fees for the master's I want to do?

Apparently I can't get a loan from the bank (to pay the cost of the master's) because I have no job.

So I think I'm screwed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

There are no free fees for masters. However, if you qualify for a grant it may pay up to 6,300(ish) of your fees.

You can still get a loan if you're unemployed as long as you can get someone with good credit history to go guarantor. I spoke to the AIB graduate centre and they assured me that they are still offering loans to graduates.

A combination of grant, bank loans and loans from my folks is getting me through my masters in TCD next year. If you want to do it badly enough you'll figure out a way to make it work, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

Yes, the grant!

I'm an independent, mature candidate. I would qualify for that, wouldn't I?

You will as long as you were an independent mature candidate for your undergrad, if you weren't you have to wait three years I think. I'm a bit sketchy on the specifics of that, maybe someone else could clarify it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

Yeah, I was.

Looking good, thanks for the help!

No worries, you'll be fine so, I got one that paid my HDip fees last year after being on BTEA for my undergrad too. Enjoy the course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mawkchunk

Hello, I'm from the States and not familiar with the grant system in place for post graduate degrees here in Ireland. Does anyone have information on grants and how to go about applying for them? Thanks!:rolleyes:

Hey, if you go to http://www.studentfinance.ie you'll find all the info you need.

Advertisement