Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Circles On Lawn Where Thistles Used To Be.

Options
  • 16-06-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Question from an absolute beginner .........

I've had about 20 thistle plants growing on a medium quality lawn for a few years. I kept it will mowed so it always looked fine from a distance. Not so however on close inspection or sitting down.

I carefully applied Roundup to the thistles and they are now totally dead. The Roundup barely affected the sorrounding grass. So I am, as expected, faced with about 20 brown patches, consisting of brown thistle and a little brown grass (average diameter = 4 inches).

To get the lawn back to normal my first thought was to use a stanley knife to chop up all the brown stuff and to remove most of it with a bit of the soil. Then put down a mixture of soil and seed. Then flatten it out with my foot and sprinkle on more seed. Then water every day.

So, how good was my first thought as a beginner ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Perfect. Make sure to water the seed 'lightly' if there is no rain, until it germinates. And don't cut it for a few weeks. Don't fertilise these new patches for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

Being a lazy gardener, I did absolutely nothing and left the dead thistles in place. Now they are gone and everything is green with no thistles!

It's good to be lazy!

Advertisement