Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up a subject.

• 16-06-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, can't find any threads on this so I've to start one!
    I'm just after finishing 5th year. Choosing subjects I was almost forced into taking on Biology after not doing science for JC. But anyway, I've struggled big time and have decided I want to do any extra subject? I want to do Technology, it's available in my school but I wouldn't be able to swap it as I've Geography when it's on.. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do? Or have you done this?? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Are you musical at all?
    I'd say you could pick up music at the start of 6th year and still do great.

The practical is 50% of the grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I want to do Technology, it's available in my school but I wouldn't be able to swap it as I've Geography when it's on.. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do? Or have you done this?? Thanks :)

I do Technology, I would recommend it as the project is worth 50% which has been was submitted since the 8th of April. If you work at the project and have a good design and stick to the brief, it's handy marks. If I was you i'd try and do Technology outside school as the theory course is short. You would have to discuss this with your teacher/principal though.Your teacher has to sign to prove all practical work was done in school(25%) the folder 25% can be done at home. This would mean you would have to work on the project every lunch,free class,religion class if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

NotExactly wrote: »
    I do Technology, I would recommend it as the project is worth 50% which has been was submitted since the 8th of April. If you work at the project and have a good design and stick to the brief, it's handy marks. If I was you i'd try and do Technology outside school as the theory course is short. You would have to discuss this with your teacher/principal though.Your teacher has to sign to prove all practical work was done in school(25%) the folder 25% can be done at home. This would mean you would have to work on the project every lunch,free class,religion class if possible.

Hmm and would I want to be starting this straight away? i.e getting in contact with school and getting some of the theory done? Would I need grinds maybe for the theory or can I work away at it myself?

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hmm and would I want to be starting this straight away? i.e getting in contact with school and getting some of the theory done? Would I need grinds maybe for the theory or can I work away at it myself?

You'd nearly want to be getting used to working with acrylic over the summer and also programming (provided your school use the PIC-AXE 18X) sorry I know you don't have a clue what i'm on 'bout. You don't want your first technology project to be your Leaving Cert one. I'm not sure if you'll be able to manage all this, maybe taking Geography outside school would be a better option? You'll find it awful hard to find somebody that gives grinds in Technology not many people teach it.

You'd nearly want to be getting used to working with acrylic over the summer and also programming (provided your school use the PIC-AXE 18X) sorry I know you don't have a clue what i'm on 'bout. You don't want your first technology project to be your Leaving Cert one. I'm not sure if you'll be able to manage all this, maybe taking Geography outside school would be a better option? You'll find it awful hard to find somebody that gives grinds in Technology not many people teach it.

Haha, I had no clue what that was! Yeah I've done technology in 1st yr and TY. Made a clock in 1st year and a speaker and bedside light last year with some plastic stuff!? :D acrylic in fact, just googled it, at least I think thats it! Yeah I'm def gonna go ask the teachers about it while theyr'e still in the school anyway!

• Advertisement

jawn wrote: »
    Are you musical at all?
    I'd say you could pick up music at the start of 6th year and still do great.

The practical is 50% of the grade.

Already do music! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PaddyP056

Id definately recommend Business, its a really easy exam and its getting easier each year recently. an A isn't too hard to get and you don't have to be a genius to be good at it, just a little bit of learning but mostly common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

You could do History or Construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'd recommend Religion. If you have an interest for ancient religion, philosophy, world religions such as Islam and Judaism, atheism, humanism etc.. :D I do it outside school and find it fascinating! Dont think you have to be religious yourself to do it either. It is an academic study of religions... No personal beliefs come into the equation. I'm agnostic :)
    Coursework for 2012 (worth 20% btw) is an option between evolution vs religion (evolution wins! catholic church apologises for their ignorance...:D) and the inculturisation of Christianity into Celtic Ireland (which I'm doing- really interesting tracing the history of Halloween)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

If you are any way mathematically strong definitely look into applied maths...it's the shortest course out there and 30% of people get As in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I took up construction at the start of the year and i'm well on my way to at least a high B. Also economics is a very short course thats well manageable inside a year. I'd stay away from geo and business unless you're very hard working, they have 2 of the longest courses on the leaving cert. Ag science is another possibility considering you did biology for a year although I gather you're not much of a fan of science?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi OP,

I actually took up biology this year and found it really easy but that is just me. How about dropping biology and not taking up another subject? If you have six honours already it should be fine. I know people say "I want the back-up of an extra subject" but really you don't.

For example, if you study for 3.5 hours a day on 7 subjects from January 1st to May 31st (just hypothetically speaking here). Thats 151 days (non-leap year) and you would spend 528.5 hours studying. As we all know, six of your best subjects are counted in the points system. You have pretty much wasted 75.5 hours studying the 7th subject. Imagine the study you would be capable of doing with 75.5 extra hours study! So I'd highly advise only doing 6 honours.

PaddyP056-
    I was half looking at business, not fully sure on it. Despised it in JC and theres's an awful lot of theory in it isn't there? I might ask a few people about it and see what they say.

C__-
    Think I'm way too late to take up history, the only thing that would interest me is Irish history! Theres some amount of work in it! :D Also, construction isn't available in my school so I dont think I'd be able to do project work etc? Would like to do that aswell though. I'm into making & fixing things around the home.

Geo10 & AlanBr-
    Don't think I'd have any interest in Religion or Applied Maths, both not in school either. Not that it matters! :) Maths is a big no no :D

THFC-
    Never really looked at economics, could do a direct swap in school from biology aswell. Might look into the course in the next week and see if I like it although I've my heart set on Technology :) Agg Science would be a no-no. Hate science subjects :)

irish_man-
    I'd never go down to 6 subjects, I've too pass subjects which would leave my top points at 520 which is much too risky I think. I think I'm gonna keep Biology even if I do take an extra subject anyway, just incase something goes wrong!

Thanks for all the replies guys :) Appreciate it!

THFC wrote: »
    I took up construction at the start of the year and i'm well on my way to at least a high B. Also economics is a very short course thats well manageable inside a year. I'd stay away from geo and business unless you're very hard working, they have 2 of the longest courses on the leaving cert. Ag science is another possibility considering you did biology for a year although I gather you're not much of a fan of science?

true that business has a long course BUT u dont have to learn it all. I didnt learn unit 6 or 7 for the exam last week. So it really isnt that long a course as long as u dont need to learn everything

I would recommend economics also along with THFC , very manageable and the course isnt too long. Also theres plenty of choice in the exam as u have to answer 4 out of 8 long questions so u dont need to learn absolutely every topic

PaddyP056 wrote: »
    Also theres plenty of choice in the exam as u have to answer 4 out of 8 long questions so u dont need to learn absolutely every topic

To get full marks in the short questions (25%) you need to have alot if not all the course done,you can't predict the short.

To get full marks in the short questions (25%) you need to have alot if not all the course done,you can't predict the short.

ye true but its basically definitions and assumptions for the short questions really. U dont need to learn a topic very well just need to know the definitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I didn't do it but I hear ag science is handy enough and doing biology would complement it

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! :) Called into the school yesterday to meet the principal..Only got the vice though! Anyway, he said when I get back the report to just study the ones I'm weak at for an hour a day during the summer. I stayed consistent about an extra subject and he eventually gave in, saying it's alot of extra work. He has to talk to the technology teacher next week about it then hopefully I'll be allowed to do it :)

Advertisement