Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tips for preventing stretch marks??

Options
  • 16-06-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know the best way to prevent stretch marks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Be born with stretchy skin! Seriously, if you're going to get them, you're going to get them, you either have the skin type or you don't. Bio-oil and other products can help make them fade quicker, but it won't stop them from happening in the first place. I'm like an accordion at this stage and I've tried everything. My best friend never put anything on her skin and never got a single one. Such is life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My mother tells to me to exercise lots but this is her answer to everything in pregnancy :) although she has had 6 children so shes probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

If your going to get them your going to get them, all the cream in the world wont prevent them!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Be born with stretchy skin! Seriously, if you're going to get them, you're going to get them, you either have the skin type or you don't. Bio-oil and other products can help make them fade quicker, but it won't stop them from happening in the first place. I'm like an accordion at this stage and I've tried everything. My best friend never put anything on her skin and never got a single one. Such is life!

Defo agree with this, if ur gona get them, ur gona get them. I didn't have any throughout my pregnancy until about 38 weeks and they just
    Blew up :(
    40 +4 now and they are really bad, but I've used bio oil an palmers throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd agree that if you're going to get them and there's not much we can do about it! I've esaped so far, but in saying that I've another 11 weeks to go, so there's time for them to appear yet!

I do think though that keeping skin well moisturised must help in some way torwards limiting the severity of stretch marks, even if it only helps a bit! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

You'll hear people swear by xyz cos they used it and didn't get a single mark, but it's really just down to genes. I used bio-oil, palmers cocoa butter, and some expensive Clarins oil all through my first pg, and ended up with a mess of awful stretch marks at the end. :( They've faded a good bit now, and on my second pg I only got a couple of tiny extra ones on the edge of my bump where there was newly stretched skin.

My mam, aunt and sis all got them so it must be down to genes. Some friends didn't get a single one and I'm sure they couldn't have been putting any more oil than I did grrrr.

They can be itchy and mine were actual kinda sore the first time round and were red and angry looking, but I did find the oils/creams helped to sooth the irritation........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

my mum never had stretch marks and my sister just had a baby and has none so fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

no sorry.its kind of sad to say but i really thought bio oil would answer my prayers, but it didnt. im 9 days overdue and recently spent a few days in hospital so iv seen all the stretch marks im ever going to see and if im honest, i thought mine were bad, but there not. Earlier on in my pregnancy i thought it would be the end of the world if i got them, but if u do, its funny, u dont really care!! A midwife and nurse told me the best way to determine wheater or not you will get them is if your mother got them... and lo ad behold, mine did. There not too bad though. Iv used bio oil daily since 25 weeks (would have started earlier but thats when i discovered my pregnancy!!) and i think like alot of people i presumed that using it would prevent them alotogether, but be warned-it doesnt. It just moisturises the stretching skin and helps to fade the marks once the skin stops stretching(i think thats the analagy anyway). So im hoping once baby comes out, it will help them fade!! it says on the instructions that it needs to be used for 3 months at least before a visable improvement can be seen anyway. So im going to keep lashing it on and il let you know how i am in another few weeks haha:D

Advertisement